Boat recovered in Marlow

Time Out

Visit site
Saw this in the local news today which might be of interest to some...

'Heavily burnt' boat pulled from river bottom after ‘mystery fire’

Love it, it was submerged for weeks.... it caught fire on NYE ! 4 weeks to be precise.

You could see some of it depending on the tide.... where do they get this nonsense from!?

I went past it on Sunday, yes it was submerged however you could see the bow and clearly see it had been subject to a serious fire ;) however, it was not pulled from the river bottom. It was tied up against the residential properties upstream of the bridge on the left. Interesting to see that Boats.com recovered the boat and not someone more local.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
It's possible that the tide comment refers to the River level changing during winter flooding.

It has been up and down a bit so if the boat was on the bottom it would be more or less visible depending on the level.

Time Out

Visit site
I like that you’re giving them the benefit of the doubt but I’d suggest it’s more an indication of the quality of journalism in the BFP than anything else.

I’m surprised they didn’t try and slip in a Chris Evans reference for good measure....

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Must say they timed that well.

I happened to be there when they were hauling the boat out as was delivering some coal to a friend using the jetty by the slipway where he could land his dinghy.

Totally different story on the River today.

I reckon there will be some flood warnings coming later on. There is a heck of a lot of water about further up the River and tributaries filling up.

I'm rather intrigued about the Jubilee River situation as apparently it is not fully operational due to some repair works to a weir at Eton, so more water than usual is being sent through Maidenhead.

That could get interesting if this ends up being a proper big flood.

It does seem possible.

ETA Taplow Weir running 30 cumecs so it is operating but it seems the EA have already indicated that some areas usually protected may not be if there is flooding.

Intriguing and I think it exposes the pointlessness of the project in the first place.

Last edited:

Lower Limit 1909

Visit site
All operational gates at Teddington Lock weir are fully drawn so no further options for increasing flow into the tidal. Flow is 385 cumics. One gate is out of action. Doubt it would make much difference, but if there is a proper 'flood incident' upstream it might might get some attention then. Four hours after HW today the levels on the uper tidal were still at very high spring tide level and haven't decreased much since.

None of this seemed to deter 2 chaps without lifejackets in a 2.5 - 3 .0 metre SIB this afternoon.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Well the peak was Taplow running 100 cumecs and around 183 cumecs going through Maidenhead. Dropping now.

Taplow 100 Maidenhead 178 at the moment.

I guess perhaps a bit of shutting in at Taplow tonight unless this rain we've just had complicates things.