boat licensing on river Crouch?

Coxsimon

Visit site
Hi,
Please excuse my naivete as I'm fairly new to all this; I'm looking at getting into sailing and keeping a 28 footer on the river crouch at Burnham marina. Can anyone tell me whether I actually need either of the following:
1) a license from the canal and river trust (seems quite pricey for what it is)
2) a boat safety scheme certificate (any potential boat will be surveyed prior to purchase)

Apart from insurance, are there any other license/documents etc required that a newbie wouldn't be aware of?

Many thanks,
Simon

Tomahawk

Visit site
You don’t have to pay the canal and rivers trust.
But you are forced to pay the Crouch Harbour local tax. Being set up the way it is it costs a lot more than it could. They issue boat licenses to every individual boat including annual stickers and send out patrols to inspect every vessel on the river to inspect every boat and send nasty letters if a boat doesn’t have an up to date license. Of course keeping track of a few hundred individial licenses takes a huge amount of time and effort which seems to provide jobs for the boys and big up the harbour captains job. And of course it costs a lot of unnecessary money.

I say ths because I used to be amember of the Maldon Harbour Commissioners. We operated a minimal cost model that only charged the commercial operators on their level of business as evidenced by their published returns. Hey ho.

Coxsimon

Visit site
You don’t have to pay the canal and rivers trust.
But you are forced to pay the Crouch Harbour local tax. Being set up the way it is it costs a lot more than it could. They issue boat licenses to every individual boat including annual stickers and send out patrols to inspect every vessel on the river to inspect every boat and send nasty letters if a boat doesn’t have an up to date license. Of course keeping track of a few hundred individial licenses takes a huge amount of time and effort which seems to provide jobs for the boys and big up the harbour captains job. And of course it costs a lot of unnecessary money.

I say ths because I used to be amember of the Maldon Harbour Commissioners. We operated a minimal cost model that only charged the commercial operators on their level of business as evidenced by their published returns. Hey ho.

Thank you, that’s interesting to know they do patrol the licenses.

Tomahawk

Visit site

Supine Being

Visit site
I never knew about the visitor charges, but I'd be happy enough to take my chances. Unless they've changed it since I've been gone, it seemed like they used to schlep the length of all the pontoons some time in June of every year to strong-arm anyone without the right colour sticker, and not bother for the rest of the year. Caveat emptor, of course.