Boat insurance -swingng moorings

GrahamM376

Visit site
No!

I did have peace of mind until you mentioned this!!

Not your fault :eek-new::eek-new:

Sailorman has a bee in his bonnet about Towergate after JFM took action in a couple of cases against them, although he has been made well aware the policy wording has since been changed. I had a claim against my Towergate policy when hit on the mooring and they paid out without any delay. I doubt there isn't any major insurer who hasn't at some time disputed a claim.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
GJW insure ours on the Exe, paid an extra £20 for winter cover.

GJW have just put me on their all year round list. The moorings are maintained by a professional contractor, and belong to a Moorings Association. It also helps that they are within a cable's length of one of Her Maj's Dockyards, so ModPlod visit regularly. :)

https://gjwdirect.co.uk/

Ask to speak with

Debbie Ashton
Senior Assistant Yacht Underwriter

Email: Debbie.Ashton@gjwltd.co.uk
Tel: 0151 473 8023
Fax: 0151 473 8060

EDIT

They were recommended to me by the canny Bilbo

Interesting.
GJW turned us down.

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
Sailorman has a bee in his bonnet about Towergate after JFM took action in a couple of cases against them, although he has been made well aware the policy wording has since been changed. I had a claim against my Towergate policy when hit on the mooring and they paid out without any delay. I doubt there isn't any major insurer who hasn't at some time disputed a claim.
:):encouragement:

sailorman

Visit site
That`s as maybe, i am not insured with them , neither is jfm :encouragement:

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
One of the SYH moorings failed in May last year depositing the boat near Levington creek, it is possible they were in some way involved in that incident.

Whilst we're currently berthed at SYH, the mooring we are moving to is not an SYH mooring (or on the Orwell).
Where we're moving to it's customary to keep your boat on a mooring year round.

Sandyshore

Visit site
Nautical agreed to our request small charge .
What interested me is the fact they were prepaired to look at mooring guides ,charts and locations to assist.

Tranona

Visit site
Whilst we're currently berthed at SYH, the mooring we are moving to is not an SYH mooring (or on the Orwell).
Where we're moving to it's customary to keep your boat on a mooring year round.

Perhaps you can ask others on the moorings who they insure with. As you have seen there is a lot of variability on attitudes to year round insurance on moorings so you have to shop around.

KAL

Visit site
Pants are, so far, the only ones to respond positively.
Awaiting one more reply.
We're with St. Margaret's/Haven Knox-Johnston. They extended cover to 12 months in commission on swinging mooring a few years ago for no extra charge and don't require notification if we spend the winter in the yard. Price is good too. We use Curtis Marine Insurance in Plymouth as broker.

Quite a few boats come in to take up winter moorings in our section of the river, so I suppose there must be a reasonable number of insurers offering the cover.

Good luck with your search Guapa.

Last edited:

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Y Yacht Insurance?

Just had a reply from them.
'In principle' they are willing to insure us on a swinging mooring year round provide I can obtain confirmation in writing that the mooring will be professionally at least once a year. Seems common sense to me.

He has an aversion to mud & shallow water

:encouragement:

Last edited:

Steve_N

Visit site
Are there any insurance companies that allow you to keep a boat on a swinging mooring all year round?

All the insurance companies I have approached so far insist on a marina/pontoon berth from November to March.

HKJ insure us for 12 months afloat swinging in Loch Creran. There's no way I'd leave the boat afloat there outside of the summer and anyway the moorings themselves get lifted for the winter!
I did try recently to get a reduction in premium because generally we only go afloat for maximum 2 months of the year but they stated that time in commision wasn't a factor in determining the premium (and they did check with the underwriter at my request).