Boat insurance -swingng moorings

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Are there any insurance companies that allow you to keep a boat on a swinging mooring all year round?

All the insurance companies I have approached so far insist on a marina/pontoon berth from November to March.

Murv

Visit site
Craftinsure will allow you to if your boats over 7m.
If under, they will still cover it for a larger excess in the Winter Months, and a small addition to the premium (you have to ask them to, I do it by email so that it's in "writing.")
I've got a Colvic 20 on a mooring, it costs me an extra £35.00 for Year round cover.

http://www.craftinsure.com/

C08

Visit site
Navigators & general are ok wth a swinger all year BUT it also depends on the exact location.

sarabande

Visit site
GJW have just put me on their all year round list. The moorings are maintained by a professional contractor, and belong to a Moorings Association. It also helps that they are within a cable's length of one of Her Maj's Dockyards, so ModPlod visit regularly. :)

https://gjwdirect.co.uk/

Ask to speak with

Debbie Ashton
Senior Assistant Yacht Underwriter

Email: Debbie.Ashton@gjwltd.co.uk
Tel: 0151 473 8023
Fax: 0151 473 8060

EDIT

They were recommended to me by the canny Bilbo

Last edited:

Nikia

Visit site
Depends on the location.
Some harbours, such as Brixham, have a reputation for boats breaking free. Doesn't mean you can't get insurance, but maybe more difficult.

Kelpie

Visit site
I've just emailed towergate to see what they say about my situation: DIY mooring (although the local fish farm helped me make and lay it) with the boat afloat all year round. So far I have not been able to find any insurance to cover this :(

peteK

Visit site
Covered with Nautical ins services who are brokers for 12 months in commision on a swinging mooring ,been with them for years.However GJW wont insure me on a swinging mooring.

Kelpie

Visit site
Well that's a 'no' from Towergate.
I've previously asked Noble and they only go up to craft 20yrs old- mine is 46 this year! Don't see how it has any effect on the risk of it breaking free from the mooring though??

caiman

Visit site
Try Googling 'Basic Boat Insurence'.Third party only.IIRC I pay £!00/annum for my 8m Tri.£2m third party cover and incudes wreck removal,pollution clean up costs etc afloat or ashore.
Hope this helps.
Cheers

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
As said, location is the all important thing. Craftinsure have a list on their site of locations that they won't insure.
Some locations such as Portland harbour, you will only get summer insurance on a swinger, infact you would be a bit silly to leave a boat there over winter! It is on Craftinsure site as a location that they won't insure period

GrahamM376

Visit site
Covered with Nautical ins services who are brokers for 12 months in commision on a swinging mooring ,been with them for years.However GJW wont insure me on a swinging mooring.

Some years ago Nautical stopped covering Conwy swing moorings in winter so I guess it depends where you're located and the claims history for the area.

C08

Visit site
Some years ago Nautical stopped covering Conwy swing moorings in winter so I guess it depends where you're located and the claims history for the area.

We moved from Red Wharf Bay to Beaumaris as insurers were starting to be reluctant to insure even just for summer use! Beaumaris was summer only though.