Boat in build pics (2013 Fairline Squadron 78)

jfm

Visit site
Here are the first pics I have of my new Sq78 in build. I hope the forum’s appetite for boat build/refits can absorb more such pictures :D and I’d be grateful for further ideas and comments from this forum on the mods that are planned.

Here’s a quick history: my previous squadron 78 (build story on this thread, and I'll call her Match1 here because the new boat will also be Match and I’ll call the new boat Match 2 here), was delivered March 2011 and I had a great 2011 season on her plus some early 2012 cruises. Then some folks came along and offered a nice price, so with emotional reluctance but commercial logic I handed her over to new owners on 4th July 2012. She’s now in Sweden.

I then had to decide on a new boat. All the weighing up of pros-cons that we all do when choosing boats is too much to describe fully in this post, so maybe return to that topic another time. But in brief, I wanted a fast flybridge not a trawler, a mainstream production boat (easy to sell) with long range (that eliminated the otherwise very nice Princess 78 fly), I loved the Ferretti 750 except I couldn’t live with its flybridge or inferior stabilisers, I thought hard about the lovely and customisable Sunseeker Y80 which has no significant negatives in my books, and then there was the devil I knew namely the Fairline Squadron 78. When I factored in the very high customer service (with a smile and with fun thrown in) from all the team at Fairline’s dealer Essex Boatyards, the fact EBY is financially sound, the fact I like the Fairline factory team very much and know the boat in a technical sense very well as well as knowing how far they will go in customisation at reasonable cost, the balance tipped in favour of another Squadron 78 custom.

So Match2 went into the mould this month. Pics below. Not much detail to see yet, sorry, but exciting stuff for me nevertheless because I have been boatless all summer and been engaged in long tech discussions with Fairline about the spec of Match2. I even slipped a build slot to allow those discussions to continue. So to have something tangible now on the go seems quite a milestone for me. Match2 will be by some margin the biggest customisation Fairline have done, with considerably more mods than Match1.

I’ll explain the various mods in stages if I’m able to keep this thread updated but here’s a quick list of some of the changes planned from the standard sq78, in no particular order. I say “planned” because if anyone has mods to these mods please shout, hopefully in time to incorporate them into the build:

1. Cat C32 ACERT engines, 1622hp each. 2 x 22.5 kva Onan gensets, 100 amps each approx. Sleipner fin stabilisers like Match1. Double size watermaker (300litres/hour). Complete redesign of black tank system (I wasn’t happy with Match1’s)

2. Satin walnut interior with lots of wenge and all-wenge galley. Plus lots of white. So much darker more contemporary nightclubby interior look than Match1. No beige or cream or buttery colours anywhere on the boat. Curved furniture and panels deleted and replaced by squared shapes. Lots of furniture and cabinetry changes. A bit more wood flooring than Match1 and handmade carpets.

3. I’m thinking of having white caulked decks. What do people think? Hate ‘em? Love ‘em?

4. Extra hull windows in crew cabin and forward guest cabin

5. Custom moulding for flybridge helm again, but different from Match1’s. Also triple Recaro fly helm seats

6. Latest LED lighting, both above and below waterline :). The whole boat will be LED; no incandescent lighting at all. This should reduce my battery drain when anchored in the evening sans generator. Downlighters will be the new Cantalupis, 115 off, that use the new Cree 85% CRI LED, which I hope will be nice. u/w lights will of course be Lumishore, 6 of their latest and greatest

7. Exactly same internal staircase as Match1. This was a total success and I wouldn't dream of not having it. This time all the welds will be ground out and polished though. Plus, a redesigned external staircase in similar more modern design with LED downlighting etc to funk it up

8. Twin/double conversion in both twin cabins. Match1 had this in one twin cabins not both, and on reflection I should have done both so as to accommodate all combinations of guests. Match2 will therefore have 4 x guest cabins, of which 2=doubles and 2= twins or doubles. Plus a tweaked crew cabin that will be fitted out to "owner area" standard in walnut, and can be 2 x single beds, 1x double, or (new idea) wood-partitioned to make two separate single-bed cabins (sharing one shower room). Plus a 3rd “jump seat” bed in the laundry for kids or if an extra guest turns up. So, maximum 11 beds and as much convertibility as can be done, I think.

There’s loads more detail but that’s a quick summary of the main items. I’ll get some more pics in a few weeks. It’s meant to be finished about March 2013. I’ll try to keep the build/launch/sea trial story updated. I’d be grateful for ideas on things to include in the build because I really do plan keeping this boat for a few years (3 maybe? Haha!) rather than chopping it in after a season. That’s the plan anyhow, ahem. And please give me your love ‘em/hate ‘em thoughts on white caulked decks :D

Anyway, here are pics…

Hull moulding 9th October with first layer of mat on the gelcoat…
01201209OctOundle5.jpg

01201209OctOundle3.jpg

Hull moulding 19 October
02201219OctOundle6.jpg

02201219OctOundle13.jpg

Pictures below show the custom additional bow cabin windows (3 not 2 each side) – the first profile pic shows the finished look. These and all the windows are frameless and bonded “auto style” to flanges in the GRP moulding
000profile.jpg

01201209OctOundle2.jpg

This next pic shows the deck moulding, just gelcoated
02201219OctOundle4.jpg

Hard to see so I’ve market it in red, an additional crew cabin window is going in transom. To help you get your bearings the square tube coming to the foreground is the passerelle tunnel..
02201219OctOundle5.jpg

Bow thruster tunnel integral to the hull moulding...
02201219OctOundle15.jpg

This next pic shows stabiliser holes moulded in, using GRP moulded tube (like bowthruster tunnel) as a former, instead of cutting a hole afterwards as they did on Match 1. They've learned some shortcuts. I think Match2 is about the 6th Squadron78 built with fin stabs (Match 1 was the first, and fwiw 3 boats have been built with Seakeeper gyros). This pic also shows the hull thickening around the stabs
02201219OctOundle17.jpg

More hull moulding general shots:
02201219OctOundle9.jpg

02201219OctOundle10.jpg

02201219OctOundle11.jpg

02201219OctOundle21.jpg

02201219OctOundle24.jpg

That’s all the pics I have for now. I’ll try to update this as the build progresses and hopefully it will get a bit more glamorous :)

ash12

Visit site
Wow looking forward to this thread.
White caulking, mmmm, dunno. I would like to say that it would look very odd but it might go with the while gelcoat quite well.

lisilou

Visit site
I've never seen boat build pics like this before. Fascinating and well, quite awesome tbh Jfm. Really looking forward to the updates in pics now. Thanks for posting that.
L
:)

Bav34

Visit site
You've just made a long winter seem more bearable. :D

Do you think you can beat 301,751 views this time? :D:D

Mr Googler

Visit site
Looking foward to the thread and thanks for sharing your journey once more.

How do they lay the hull. Is there a machine that sweeps backwards and forwards laying matting or is it a case off get loads of people in there in one hit to do the same.

On that scale I can't figure it out. Please excuse my ignorance!!!

benjenbav

Visit site
Wow. First, it's great to see that you are - as it were - back in the saddle. I think the list of mods looks really interesting. Especially funking up the external staircase and adding the extra versatility in the beds.

White caulking is something I confess I've never seen. Prolly looks great but won't it stain with salt and day-to-day stuff and then your stewie will be forced to spit in your soup because she's spent the whole week between owner's visits on her hands and knees cleaning it with a toothbrush?

One thought is whether it would be possible to build in a degree of vertical travel on the stern cleats to give a range of angles and heights to cross lines over the tender for different docks rather than having to drop the platform or take the tender off in a mistral.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Great news jfm, the new project sounds very exciting. The bare hull looks huuuge! Any further thoughts on alternate crew cabin access from the cockpit?

Cheers
Jimmy

Whopper

Visit site
I'm not too sure about the white caulking! :D

Edit: how about some sort of clear caulking if possible. Then some sort of laser/fibre optics design could be incorporated into the deck. You might as well go all out with the LED theme! ;)

Last edited:

MYAG

Visit site
Congrats on finally getting her layed up J, I look forward to seeing the various mods and having the tecky debates.......

I have had a personal demo of the latest and greatest Lumishore gear here at FLIBS today, amazing stuff which you surely need to have ALL the way round the hull, 1 per metre will look good, so I reckon around 55 including the transom should do you..... :eek:

Can you please post the general arrangement dwgs, would be interesting to refer to them during the build to see what's going where in advance etc.

vas

Visit site
was wondering why you've not started the thread already tbh...
Biiiig thing this 78, or it looks like on an empty hull!

The mods (not that drastic imho) look all good to me (especially colours/arrangements internally) apart from:
  • I really don't think they really have their designers squeezing their brains in the hull window shapes/arrangements. IMHO they are NOT up to par with the rest of the design, I understand that they wanted something new and if it was rounded before, hey let's get them all orthogonal, but I'm pretty sure they'll figure out somthing different within the next 4-5 yrs (ok, that will work for Match4 by then)
  • White hull and superstructure. I really liked this steel gray V40 or V52 or whatever posted a couple of months back on it's way to SOF. I also really liked the stealth gray massive Princess posted in here also a couple of months back. Any particular reason for sticking to white? And I'm not suggesting v.dark colours that would have a problem in the med sun (possibly). Yes I know the Q is rhetorical since the gelcoat is layed up already, but think about it for Match3 next year...

Regarding the white chaulking, again, is it only black or white? Other options (and I don't mean red and yellow...) but an off white / light gray (AGAIN!) could be interesting and less of a contrast to the blonde teak.

As you can imagine edging 50 I'm going through my gray period atm :D (will be testing colours for MiToS next week and guess what they are...)

cheers

V.

Quest

Visit site
Fab thread. Look forward to seeing progress in due course. I think the white caulking will look clean, modern and v stylish. Only ? Is whether it will stay looking that good. If it gets looking dirty and needs maintaining to stay looking it's best, that could be a real pain...:confused:

aquapower

Visit site
The only thing I can add at this stage is think carefully about white caulking, I have a customer who has white and has mooring on quay 10 in Antibes, boat is about 8 years old now and been there for 6 of these and has allways had a problem with crumbling because it cant handle the heat and has been repaired several times, if you talk to D A Watts they strongly advise against white and won't guarantee it. I personally think you can't beat the black although flexiteek do a nice grey but having only been using it for the last few months I can't comment on its long term durability.

CMJ

Visit site
Hi JFM - great news and I can't wait for further updates.....

Caulking - I'd def go for mid grey if available and practical. I love the combination of brown and grey. Surely whatever you choose, it can't be black!

Good luck and great to see you're back with full force.

Chris.

rafiki_

Visit site
Great post John, and good to hear the progress to date. Not sure on the white caulking, as I've not seen this. How well oes it age?

For your on-board entertainment system, have you looked at the Imerge set-up? This system can give you a simultaneous choice of audio or video in each saloon or cabin, from the one base server, and can store all the films or music you could ever want.

jonnybuoy

Visit site
Blimey jfm, even more customised than Match1!

What is your plan for audio/visuals?

What does white caulking look like, anyone got a pic?