Boat Flag question and advice!

Larsongirl01

Visit site
Hello!

I need a little help. I would like to have a flag made for my father's 1957 Larson Thunderhawk Jr. He currently has it in storage so I can't measure the diameter needed for the flag pole. I am wondering if this is a standard in the industry? Does anyone have this boat that could tell me? Or give me any advice? Thank you!

Attachments

• 4979004F-9B35-41BC-904D-28F54A7F3B69_1_105_c.jpeg
    4979004F-9B35-41BC-904D-28F54A7F3B69_1_105_c.jpeg
    254.2 KB · Views: 45

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Flags don’t get hoisted or mounted in the way I think you’re suggesting. Most flags and ensigns have toggles and loops sewn into the corners so that they can be attached to a halyard.
Flags - Bending and Hoisting Methods for Sailing Flags - Jimmy Green Marine
Although the picture shows a courtesy flag in free hoist, the same technique applies to bending an ensign onto an ensign staff. Most staffs have a little pulley at the top for a light line to be threaded through.

Unless you are missing the ensign staff itself in which case you’ll have to go and measure the hole in the socket it sits in. I’ll guess one inch but don’t take my guess….

Last edited:

MADRIGAL

Visit site
Your photo shows a pole-mounted light at the stern. The pole could also serve as an ensign staff. Unless it extends more, the pole in the photo looks too short to allow the white light to be seen in all directions. If it were taller, it would also make a good ensign staff.

To confirm to the Collision Regulations, the all-around white light permitted for small power vessels in lieu of separate masthead and stern lights must be placed high enough not to be obscured by passengers and crew, cabin tops, etc.

If you are planning an ensign staff separate from the light pole, I believe the mounting bases are typically 1 inch in diameter, as John Morris suggested above. The length of the staff should fit the size of the ensign, which should be what looks good on the boat. One inch of length in the fly (the long dimension) per foot of boat length is typical, rounded up to the next available size. This looks good for ensigns that are proportioned 1:2.

From the lettering on the bow, it appears that the boat is registered in New York. I am not sure of the correct proportions for the United States ensign, but that must be easy to find out. In any case, enjoy your boat and enjoy making her an ensign. There is plenty of information about US flag etiquette in older editions of Chapman’s Piloting.

Birdseye

Visit site
I see you ask about the flag pole rather than the flag. If it is an American boat then the pole will be in Imperial dimensions not metric. Very rarely do people chose other than " rounded numbers" and looking at a rules I would have thought the diameter would be one of 1", 1.25" or maybe 1.5". But its likely that the flag "pole" will have attachments to allow you to use a lanyard which is the way that most flags are attached and which you will see often over there where you fly your national flag way more often than we do.

Only other comment I can make, from personal observation of American boats, is that their flags are often way larger than any other nationality. God Bless America! :)