Boarding someone else’s boat to sort slapping halyard. Breach of etiquette?

coopec

N/A
Visit site
This is PBO, we're discussing halyards here.

Why do we need to read an 11 year old thread on a US forum ?

I thought the thread was about slapping halyards and what you can do about it? No?

"Bothersome enough during day, but certainly will be more of an issue at night. Some halyard slap is to be expected at a marina, but if out of hand, is it considered appropriate to go aboard these boats and tension the halyards to quiet things down?"

Marina Etiquette - Halyards

Why wouldn't you want to read what others have done in a similar situation?
Has the situation changed in the last 11 years?

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
If people are kept awake by slapping halyards, presumably safely tied up in harbour: how do they sleep when they are off-watch, with waves crashing against the hull, wind howling through the rigging, sails flacking as she is tacked, VHF calls, winch ratchets rattling, crew vigorously pumping the heads, the kettle whistling, ship engine sounds getting louder, etc etc :)

TernVI

Visit site
My old sailing club had a dinghy park in a residential area.
First offence, tyrap the halyard to a shroud.
Second offence, pull it to the top of the mast.

ltcom

Visit site
I used to like the sound until I took up sailing and learned that it is a good way to take the anodizing off a mast. I would help a fellow sailor's boat but I would certainly think twice and check with anybody with authority after having read these posts. I like the idea of using the warps (after I once set off and forgot to unfrap my own halyards ........ )

JumbleDuck

Visit site
How do those of you with halyards inside the mast - mine are wholly external - stop the inside bit slapping around on a mooring or at anchor? I never really solved that on my Jouster.

Pye_End

Visit site
If people are kept awake by slapping halyards, presumably safely tied up in harbour: how do they sleep when they are off-watch, with waves crashing against the hull, wind howling through the rigging, sails flacking as she is tacked, VHF calls, winch ratchets rattling, crew vigorously pumping the heads, the kettle whistling, ship engine sounds getting louder, etc etc :)

Badly.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I thought the thread was about slapping halyards and what you can do about it? No?

"Bothersome enough during day, but certainly will be more of an issue at night. Some halyard slap is to be expected at a marina, but if out of hand, is it considered appropriate to go aboard these boats and tension the halyards to quiet things down?"

Marina Etiquette - Halyards

Why wouldn't you want to read what others have done in a similar situation?
Has the situation changed in the last 11 years?

If i wanted to read what people were saying on other forums i'd join other forums. If you have something to add, feel free to jump in, but i don't see the need for the incessant links from Google searches.

Corribee Boy

Visit site
For internal halyards I've tightened groups of cable ties onto a line, arranged in 'starfish' shapes every couple of metres, and secured up the inside of the mast like an etiolated bottle brush. It creates a series of baffles which trap loose halyards and cables and stops them slapping, and I haven't had any issued with entanglement - yet.

johnalison

Visit site
Me too, but the difference is between purposeful or inevitable, and purposeless noise. I don't mind the sound of someone using a power tool while working on their boat, or the sound of an engine running, so long as this is not excessive and for a reason, but halyard noise is preventable and unnecessary. It is also irregular and therefore hard to ignore. In olden times, the noise would have been manila against wood, and this can be quite pleasant, and when we had such rigging on the Broads I don't think that we took steps to quieten it. The noise while sailing can be troubling, but it only really interrupts sleep when one's mind thinks that it represents something amiss.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
How do those of you with halyards inside the mast - mine are wholly external - stop the inside bit slapping around on a mooring or at anchor? I never really solved that on my Jouster.
Squirt of £2.99 expanding builders' foam into a little hole in the mast, halfway up. Quick and dirty, does the job though :p

Babylon

Visit site

If one simply tightens and then fraps halyards externally, then I can't see how a taught line inside the mast is going to make any real noise - mine don't.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
If i wanted to read what people were saying on other forums i'd join other forums. If you have something to add, feel free to jump in, but i don't see the need for the incessant links from Google searches.

Paul
You don't have to join other forums just to read the comments. ?

If I have a problem with some equipment (say an outboard) I'll google the problem with make/model/problem to see if it is a problem common to my make of outboard. Invariably people on other forums will have had a similar experience and explain how they overcame the problem.

If you ever build a boat you will realize just how powerful the internet is: I couldn't do without it.
Why re-invent the wheel?? ?

Hadenough

Visit site
Dreaming about being in the marina with no noise to keep them awake other than their inconsiderate crew mates. Oh and fecking flapping halyards on badly managed boats.
And why do you think that every boat owner wants sail in the conditions that you quote.

Last edited:

Hadenough

Visit site
Squirt of £2.99 expanding builders' foam into a little hole in the mast, halfway up. Quick and dirty, does the job though :p
Hang on. I just re- read and see that you think we should just put up with it. Do you take cans of expanding foam on your exciting transatlantic trips?

Pye_End

Visit site
Me too, but the difference is between purposeful or inevitable, and purposeless noise. I don't mind the sound of someone using a power tool while working on their boat, or the sound of an engine running, so long as this is not excessive and for a reason, but halyard noise is preventable and unnecessary. It is also irregular and therefore hard to ignore. In olden times, the noise would have been manila against wood, and this can be quite pleasant, and when we had such rigging on the Broads I don't think that we took steps to quieten it. The noise while sailing can be troubling, but it only really interrupts sleep when one's mind thinks that it represents something amiss.

Absolutely. Just because you have a bad night of sleep at sea doesn't then make it right to have another one when back in the marina.

Thinking of others seems a minority sport these days.