Boarding someone else’s boat to sort slapping halyard. Breach of etiquette?

Never Grumble

Visit site
The last time I helped out a fellow member by adding a mooring line because theirs had chafed through was the last time I saw that particular mooring line. But what goes around comes around.

Just before lockdown 2 with storms a coming and spying a chafed line, I popped another line on the upwind neighbours boat, I have a few tatty bits of old mooring line for such purpose that way if I never see it again it matters not.

Frayed Knot

Visit site
I do it whenever but try to make a real mess of it in order to remind the owner of his or her failings...
Despite polite requests from myself and others to be more thoughtful, we had a repeat offender with a motorsailer on the next pontoon - someone who regularly posts here & on the ECF, so he may recognise himself. On the third occasion I granny knotted the entire lengths of his main & mizzen halyard tails which seemed to improve his memory...

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
I am cosily lulled to sleep by dripping taps and loudly ticking clocks, so let them slap.
If you don't like flacking hayards, go and live on a farm. I used to care, now I have found peace with the aluminium orchestra.
The sound of stainless steel repeatedly scraping off the anodising from expensive masts, owned by office workers with more money than sense, is a comforting lullaby.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I am cosily lulled to sleep by dripping taps and loudly ticking clocks, so let them slap.
If you don't like flacking hayards, go and live on a farm. I used to care, now I have found peace with the aluminium orchestra.
The sound of stainless steel repeatedly scraping off the anodising from expensive masts, owned by office workers with more money than sense, is a comforting lullaby.

Better idea, as you do like noisy halyards, keep your boat somewhere where normal people can't hear them.

peter gibbs

Visit site
Your marina neighbour’s not about and his main halyard is slapping away. Is it not the done thing to go aboard and tie it back? Wouldn’t bother me if someone did the same to my boat. Whattaya reckon?
There are no grounds for any owner to object in their absence to a neighbour boarding to secure anything loose, halyard especially. Using a line on the vessel is normal and usually an end is around for this task. Of course the owner will notice he has been boarded. Hopefully he will feel contrite even thankful. I have never experienced any reaction by owners. Of course there can be no damage done on these occasions.

PWG

LiftyK

Visit site
I was trying to sleep while a visitor in a marina. The unmanned boat opposite had antifrapping measures but one line chose to ignore them at night and was banging against the mast. After stirring in my bunk and thinking about it for half an hour, as you do, I got up and sorted it out. It took a while but it worked. In the morning the boat‘s crew turned up. Feeling guilty, I walked over and confessed/explained that it was me who had rearranged one of their lines. The response was very pleasant. One of the crew apologised for the noise, thanked me for sorting it out and said he would sort out a permanent fix.

Stemar

Visit site
The response was very pleasant. One of the crew apologised for the noise, thanked me for sorting it out and said he would sort out a permanent fix.
Entirely as it should be. Unless you cause damage, any other reaction would be entirely out of order. Even on a mooring, I'd be grateful if someone noticed a problem - and slapping ropes are a problem - and bothered to go on board to sort it.

Don't come on my boat for a halliard.
OK, I won't come on board for a genny that's working loose, either.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Yes, on a US forums the opinion will be more slanted towards "get the marina to do it" or "it's private property."

In our small marina in the US, it would be considered 100% acceptable to snug up a cover or halyard, and you would be thanked if we knew it was you. Also embarassed that because we did a poor job you had to fix it. So please do.

Corribee Boy

Visit site
When I had a swinging mooring in an area problematic for birds fouling the deck, an adjacent boatowner used to leave his boat festooned with bird-repellent humming tape from a garden centre. It was audible on my deck when the wind blew, but the sound was also transmitted through the water: Below deck it was like being in a heavy metal band's bass speaker.

After a night of this I felt like boarding with a sharp knife, possibly not just for the tape!

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
When I had a swinging mooring in an area problematic for birds fouling the deck, an adjacent boatowner used to leave his boat festooned with bird-repellent humming tape from a garden centre. It was audible on my deck when the wind blew, but the sound was also transmitted through the water: Below deck it was like being in a heavy metal band's bass speaker.

After a night of this I felt like boarding with a sharp knife, possibly not just for the tape!

Yes, I've been similarly plagued by a neighbouring boat with that anti-social humming tape, and was likewise sorely tempted.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Worth adding is that many people don't know their halyards slap. They are never at the marina when it is breezy, they are hiding at home! Only by tying it back will they realize "Hey, there must have been a serious problem, or no one would have bothered."

SpottyDog5

Visit site
I have done it many times, I use an empty pop bottle wedged against the mast, very quick and easy to do, plus the owner can see the error of their ways.

[159032]

Visit site
Merchant Shipping Act 1995, Part IV section 104...

S.104 "Unauthorised presence on board ship.

Where a United Kingdom ship or a ship registered in any other country is in a port in the United Kingdom and a person who is neither in Her Majesty’s service nor authorised by law to do so—

(a) goes on board the ship without the consent of the master or of any other persons authorised to give it; or

(b) remains on board the ship after being requested to leave by the master, a constable, an officer authorised by the Secretary of State or an officer of customs and excise,

he shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale."
Yeah, Right.

You joined to say that?

CaptinHaddock

Visit site
Hi Mercury... thanks for noticing my post.
I realise that many people are only on this forum to tear strips off each other, and that of course is their perogative. It is my fault that I cannot but hope for better.
I posted that piece because, as I understand it, that section of statute is the piece of law that protects all UK boaters from being bothered by unwanted visitors on their boats. PLEASE correct me if I have that wrong ... It is simply the regulation I quote when someone buggers about with my boats. Does MCA1995 not apply to UK recreational craft? Are there other protections that do? Would be happy to know more.

Babylon

Visit site
Cap'n, you're entirely free to quote as much legislation as you like. In the meantime...

...if a halyard or the suchlike on a neighbour's boat is preventing me from sleeping, then I'm going to "bugger about" on board the offending vessel - without conscience, remorse or fear of prosecution - to bloody well stop it!