Boarding someone else’s boat to sort slapping halyard. Breach of etiquette?

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Hang on. I just re- read and see that you think we should just put up with it. Do you take cans of expanding foam on your exciting transatlantic trips?
I have used the foam method on my previous yacht, it worked very well.
Yes I carry a tin at sea, why not...it can fix things which no other stuff can fix.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
marinas have 24 hr security don't they ,if you saw smoke coming from a boat would you rush out in you underwear and put out the fire without informing the marina first?
Yes, because from experience, at 2am I wouldn't expect a quick response.
I would grab an extinguisher first, 6 litre AFFF being ideal, then a mobile or VHF *if immediately available*, and go and fight the fire, screaming 'FIRE! FIRE! ' as loudly as possible.
Time is of the essence, and shouting and screaming FIRE! gets the attention of anyone in earshot rather than just a sleepy security guard.

Kelpie

Visit site
If people are kept awake by slapping halyards, presumably safely tied up in harbour: how do they sleep when they are off-watch, with waves crashing against the hull, wind howling through the rigging, sails flacking as she is tacked, VHF calls, winch ratchets rattling, crew vigorously pumping the heads, the kettle whistling, ship engine sounds getting louder, etc etc :)

If the conditions are like that, I'm usually so knackered by the end of my watch that I would sleep through anything.