Boarding someone else’s boat to sort slapping halyard. Breach of etiquette?

fredrussell

Visit site
Your marina neighbour’s not about and his main halyard is slapping away. Is it not the done thing to go aboard and tie it back? Wouldn’t bother me if someone did the same to my boat. Whattaya reckon?

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Done it many times when we lived on board, especially during the winter where someone would come and visit their boat, do something with the halyards and forget to sort it properly before leaving for the next months or three. Used to wait until” the end of the weekend (to give them chance to come back and fix things) and then go aboard and sort it. Mind you, being as deaf as a post, it never bothered me much once the hearing aids were removed but the Admiral insisted on something being done.
No idea if it’s ”proper” or not, just has to be done.

Poignard

Visit site
I have done it but the owner didn't complain, or thank me for going to the trouble. Neither did he return the bit of line I tied it back with which I thought was a bit uncivil of him.

Anyway, halyards wear out sooner when banging against the mast and spoil the anodising so I was doing him a favour :LOL:

atol

Visit site
better to inform marina staff of your intentions first,boat might be booby trapped or decks freshly painted,in america it might get you shot!

johnalison

Visit site
I do it regularly, well, fairly regularly, and have been surprised on the rare occasions when I myself have left the boat without frapping the lines to return and find that nobody has corrected this. If it is a bad case of neglect the result of my labour isn't always pretty.

ashtead

Visit site
The advantage of knowing your fellow pontoon boats is having a group so if you do have any issues you can message your fellow pontoons and advise of any fixes you have made by way of the odd halyard fix or fender insert etc. We recently had a lose main halyard off the boom end and was grateful someone reattached and let me know. Another boats headsail unfurled but no damage as other owners on pontoon bundled up and let him know.

ryanroberts

Visit site
Glad someone asked this as I have done it a few times now. Along with squeaking adjustments to neighbours warps due to cleat macramé. Making boats nice and quiet isn't something the RYA taught unfortunately, I tension my halliards on the pulpit. Spinnaker pole rattles like hell without a bit of line too, but probably less offensive to neighbours.

I was also unaware of the "someone hitting a dustbin with a baseball bat" noises when lying at anchor that reminded me about using a snubber.

Last edited:

Poignard

Visit site
If there is any breach of etiquette it is the yacht's owner not securing them to start with.

Although I once had a berth alongside a yacht that had an internal halyard that clanged incessantly and her apologetic owner could do nothing about it. I don't know how he put up with it.

C08

Visit site
Although it is normal to do this, there will always be someone getting on their high horse about you " boarding their boat without permission".
I booked a berth on a club pontoon and arrived to find another boat on it even though my name and date was clearly on the booking board. As we had 2 dogs and to avoid them crossing the other (smaller) boat (think claws) we slackened their stern line, berthed inside them and refixed the stern line rafted up to us. Well the fuss the club member made about boarding his boat, moving it without his permission was etc unbelievable, reported to the committee etc! Fortunately they calmed him down but he was still ranting several days later. It does make me hesitate a little now regarding other boats even when thar boat is at risk from something and I can help.

CaptinHaddock

Visit site
Merchant Shipping Act 1995, Part IV section 104...

S.104 "Unauthorised presence on board ship.

Where a United Kingdom ship or a ship registered in any other country is in a port in the United Kingdom and a person who is neither in Her Majesty’s service nor authorised by law to do so—

(a) goes on board the ship without the consent of the master or of any other persons authorised to give it; or

(b) remains on board the ship after being requested to leave by the master, a constable, an officer authorised by the Secretary of State or an officer of customs and excise,

he shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale."