bmc zinc anode ?

deadfish

Visit site
I have a bmc 1.5 diesel that was marinised by the previous owner with a wortham blake kit and is married to an enfield Z drive. This engine hasn't been run for about 15 years and when I disconnected the engine water pump from the cooling stack (don't know if that's what you call it, it's an upright cylinder with a lot of internal tubes) at the base of the stack it was completely blocked with white goo. Is this the result of not having an anode fitted to the engine? I have looked but I can't find one. Were these engines fitted with an anode when converted or is one installed somewhere in the wortham blake kit.

VicS

Visit site
I have a bmc 1.5 diesel that was marinised by the previous owner with a wortham blake kit and is married to an enfield Z drive. This engine hasn't been run for about 15 years and when I disconnected the engine water pump from the cooling stack (don't know if that's what you call it, it's an upright cylinder with a lot of internal tubes) at the base of the stack it was completely blocked with white goo. Is this the result of not having an anode fitted to the engine? I have looked but I can't find one. Were these engines fitted with an anode when converted or is one installed somewhere in the wortham blake kit.
You would not expect to find an with indirect cooling to have an anode fitted anywhere in the engine, anymore than your car engine has an anode in the cooling circuit. The cooling circuit should always be filled with an antifreeze solution, just like your car, which contains corrosion inhibitors

There may be an anode in the raw side of the heat exchanger. It depends upon the materials used for its construction. If the white goo you refer to is in the raw water side then it might be all that is left of an anode!

deadfish

Visit site
anode

definately not oil/water, looks like as I suspected it may be the remains of an anode, just need to find where it came from so I can replace it.
Thanks for your help guys, and if anyone knows where the anode is likely to be on a wortham blake conversion please let me know.

TNLI

Visit site
anode

definately not oil/water, looks like as I suspected it may be the remains of an anode, just need to find where it came from so I can replace it.
Thanks for your help guys, and if anyone knows where the anode is likely to be on a wortham blake conversion please let me know.

Probably just Calcium Carbonate. Some of the early BMC 1500 donkeys had direct salt water cooling, so they might have a Zinc anode unless any alloy parts were replaced with steel plates.