Bluebeard - how did you get on??(nm)

G

I am shamed to have to admit it but only came 57th in our class. Coming up to the Needles we sustained a glancing blow.
We was on port tack and bearing on to a starboard stand on boat when we was just about to go about when the British Contender tacked onto our stern so we had to jibe bear away the only thing was there wasnt sufficient water and the starboard boat pranged us down our port side. Thank goodness no damage . The incedent must have been captured on the helicopters camera who was fliming the British contender all the way through.

Coming around the Needles was a bit lumpy a lot off boats would not chance it and retired. At one time there was a 40ft boat behind us coming up to to the head the waves was that huge we lost sight of its mast. It was a bit tricky at times. Although we had a good day, in fact it was brilliant. Must fly the old flag again sometime.
Cheers Bluebeard

G

I forgot to ask you Peter.
How did you fair?
Kind Regards
Bluebeard

bedouin

Visit site
Which class were you in?

I thought it was a brilliant day's sailing - although I haven't yet worked out why we were close-hauled for three quarters of the race.

I didn't notice it being that lumpy round the Needles - perhaps I was concentrating too much on not hitting any other boats - but St Catherine's point was rougher.

G

We were designated white however I personally think they put is in the wrong class, I dont quite know how they formulate the classifications do you know.
Regards
Bluebeard

G

Come to think about it we were close hauled most of the time. except coming up to St. Catherines point we were surfing on a run off the top of one huge wave into the trough of the next. I reckon if we had to have beat into those seas we would not have got round. Thank goodness it was up the rear end.
I think everone who took part in it enjoyed the day. one to remember
Kind Regards
Stuart
Bluebeard

P.S.
How did you fair?

bedouin

Visit site
Re: Classifications

I don't know the details of the rating system, but judging by the questions they ask it must be a fairly simple formula based on Sail Area, Displacement, LOA and LWL - probably with allowances for Spinnaker and type of Prop.

This must assume average sailing conditions, and Saturday was definitely not average. We benefitted from this as Bedouin is very competitive in strong winds, and close hauled, but would have been left standing by the lighter displacement boats in lighter conditions.

Our finishing position (bang in the middle of our group and class) was (IMHO) better than our sailing skills or tactics warranted, but on another day we could have sailed much better and still ended up down the field.