Blue Anchor Bay

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Most YBW skippers only potter up and down the Solent. The east Solent, it’s PBO reader to reader. The West Solent, its Scuttlebut.’
Harsh but some truth in it. Many many years ago I was a bit astonished that my insurers asked if I sailed more than 10 miles from my moorings as that would change my premium. I actually love the Bristol Channel.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
You must have been based in Southampton Water, and thus only ten miles an any direction from the Edge of the Known World (as the Needles and Nab Tower are respectively known) ;)
Was based in Lydney, next major stop Portishead. Day sailing in bay not practicable and in my ignorance presumed everyone went 17 miles as a matter of course when cruising. Collecting my third boat from Langstone near Chichester was alarmingly crowded by comparison. When I collect the 5th from Emsworth in August I think I will go behind the Isle of Wight and stay off shore till I get clear of the ruck

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
and in my ignorance presumed everyone went 17 miles as a matter of course when cruising.

Love it :) that was exactly the place we were in when we started cruising too (from Cardiff).

Whatever the weather I might add, because cruising is cruising

A few pals have moved from the channel down to the Solent over the years and marine traffic generally shows them making passages of few enough NM to be counted on one hand

Some good pals moved down there and went out for a first sail getting into full foulies etc as usual for the BC, looked around them and wondered why everyone else was in flip flops and t-shirts :)

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
I have never been asked how far from my moorings I go I got a 12 mile limit from any safe harbour.

That's better phrasing from your insurers, but in the Bristol Channel the answer is still more than 12 miles in most places particularly on the English/Cornish side as Milford to Ilfracombe or Lundy we will be 25 miles or thereabouts from harbour in mid passage, and I think Padstow to Scilly is worse. Mind you 12 miles behind us when we go down tide might as well be on the moon.

Snoopy463

Visit site
Newport phooey, I’ve taken a trip to the dark side and am ensconced in Penarth Marina for a month. Looks line north easterlies for another two weeks, I’m almost craving a return to south westerlies and a drop of rain to clear the dust and dead flies off the decks.

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
Ha, marinas! Can't take the mud?!?

Tell me about it, I'm supposed to be doing the RTIR on a friends boat next week but the boat is in Falmouth after a trip to Scilly and time is running out to get it back to Portsmouth.

Birdseye

Visit site
. Did you ever find out the depths of Porthcawl Harbour?

I was assured by the HM that they could cope with my 1.8m. He talked about the sill cleared to 1.9. but as far as I could understand what he was saying, this is the minimum at which the sill opens and you add a rising tide onto that level. Inside the harbour there is more water still.

In the enent we didnt go there for other reasons.

steveej

Visit site
I was assured by the HM that they could cope with my 1.8m. He talked about the sill cleared to 1.9. but as far as I could understand what he was saying, this is the minimum at which the sill opens and you add a rising tide onto that level. Inside the harbour there is more water still.

In the enent we didnt go there for other reasons.

Well I was told least depths inside are between 1.4 to 1.5m

BenMurphy

Visit site
Thinking of trying this tomorrow from Cardiff. Lock out and head to BAB about 10am (just after HT), drop the hook for a couple of hours for lunch and a cold beverage, then start back about an hour before LT probably. Any advice welcomed as I'm still a relative newcomer to the BC. I notice that it's springs today, so am I going to be battling the current going straight across the channel? And is there much tidal current in BAB or is it well sheltered from the ebb?

Snoopy463

Visit site
Thinking of trying this tomorrow from Cardiff. Lock out and head to BAB about 10am (just after HT), drop the hook for a couple of hours for lunch and a cold beverage, then start back about an hour before LT probably. Any advice welcomed as I'm still a relative newcomer to the BC. I notice that it's springs today, so am I going to be battling the current going straight across the channel? And is there much tidal current in BAB or is it well sheltered from the ebb?
[
Just head due south and try to miss the Holms. There’s a moderate westerly forecast and you’ll fairly whistle down with the spring ebb. It will be wind over tide in the morning so inevitably a trifle rolly on a beam reach. Much nicer on the way home though. You can go quite close in Blue Anchor Bay, holding is good, tide will be ok and you will have shelter from the westerly wind. Watch your depth when anchoring, it is a spring tide. Enjoy.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
There is fairly strong current in the Bay but holding so brilliant its not an issue.

We used it quite a lot to drop down to BAB then rise into Watchet, or before heading out to Ilfracombe. Tucked in close without ending up on the fishing stakes on the ledges and we could happily sit out a blow, and sleep relaxed

Birdseye

Visit site
when I was NUSC based, the normal route west was NUSC to Barry ( hanging off the pilot boat mooring or rafting to a BYC member boat) since this gets you past Lavernock, and then on to Combe and either Lundy or Padstow. The ports on the south side of the channel are less use though Porlock is a pretty place to go. Watchet used to be OK before the marina cock up, Minehead offers little. Woody bay is a pleasant anchorage but I have never been there in a blow. Lynmouth is to be avoided.

BenMurphy

Visit site
when I was NUSC based, the normal route west was NUSC to Barry ( hanging off the pilot boat mooring or rafting to a BYC member boat) since this gets you past Lavernock, and then on to Combe and either Lundy or Padstow. The ports on the south side of the channel are less use though Porlock is a pretty place to go. Watchet used to be OK before the marina cock up, Minehead offers little. Woody bay is a pleasant anchorage but I have never been there in a blow. Lynmouth is to be avoided.

Out of interest - why avoid Lynmouth? I'm guessing just not very sheltered from anything except a South Easterly?

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Out of interest - why avoid Lynmouth? I'm guessing just not very sheltered from anything except a South Easterly?
Poor holding outside and little shelter from the prevailing westerlies, hard to get into and horrid at night, and the uptide wall is below hightide level so one floats over it and straddle it as tide goes out. Not a badd spot once in but no where near as fun as Porlock, Ilfracome