BKYC Kiel

ctelfer38

www.classic-cruising.com
I am prompted by the JSSTC thread to reminisce about the halcyon sailing days (started in late 80s for me) in the Baltic from Kiel. Did we know how lucky we were I wonder? Lots of sailing in and out of harbours/marinas with engines kept very much in reserve . As a latecomer from the RYA dinghy world, my first tutor skipper for the Baltic/RYA ticket on board Kranich was the estimable (and young Cpl) Baz Ennels. He took no prisoners and had no problems in exercising authority over those a long way up the military ladder ( me included ?). I last saw him when BKYC closed. Much missed. CBT

johnalison

Visit site
I haven't been there for many years, but only ever as a passing visitor. My chief memory is that the box seemed to go on for ever and I had to extend my lines. In later years we tended to stop at Moltenort or Laboe. Several of their boats, Naiads and Rassys have found their way into the UK and there are a couple near us at present.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Pit stopped once on a Nic 55. We had picked the yacht up in Gotenburg and via other stops like Copenhagen, were on our way through the canal to Hamburg. As the crew consisted of mostly submariners, the BKYC and the yacht staff skipper were probably happy to see us departing. ??

michael_w

Visit site
Years ago I bought an S&S Swan 40 from Schleswig (big mistake, rose coloured binoculars)! BKYC were very helpful, Drove out with all the cruising kit and left the car next door in the German Army barracks for a month whilst we sailed the boat home.
Splendid breakfasts and beer at €1 for 1/2 litre and the same for spirits. had

Luckily, some other mug fell for the drop dead gorgeous looks and bought the boat.

Stork_III

Visit site
I haven't been there for many years, but only ever as a passing visitor. My chief memory is that the box seemed to go on for ever and I had to extend my lines. In later years we tended to stop at Moltenort or Laboe. Several of their boats, Naiads and Rassys have found their way into the UK and there are a couple near us at present.

My first "big" boat was ex BKYC, HR31, hence my moniker.

Nom de plume

Visit site
I borrowed a Contessa 32 from BKYC to take some Navy lads (none of whom could sail) for a day sail around the area and into the City itself. It was moored stern to with the bows held off from between two wooden piles in front.
The nice Army chappie had prepared the boat immaculately as they do, all kit layed out on the berths for counting and checking off. Everything spotless.
"Packed lunch and beers in the fridge - batteries fully charged - keys in the ignition - no engine defects - please moor her the same way up on return" he said as he set off back to his workshop with a wave.
The keys were indeed in the ignition, and there were no engine defects - because there was an empty hole where there engine had once resided!
Army 1 Navy 0.

Blue Drifter

Visit site
I remember being on a weeks course there, the fleet were Contessa 28s and this week was a potential Baltic skipper and Baltic hand course. They had their own quals at the time as non tidal. We were approaching a Danish harbour when one of the potential skippers called Scotter (read Mother ship) and announced that their prop shaft had detached and partially slipped out jamming the steering, the boat was flooded up to the berth tops, obviously no engine.
Scotters response was - thank you for the Sitrep, we await your arrival with interest, out.
They got in ok, about 20 guys crammed onto the foredeck lifting the stern and a fitter sorted out the problem.