Biggest ever numbers crossing Atlantic this year?

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
But do you know what? I still enjoyed that year regardless. Same as I do every year:cool:
There is something special about being in the berth, laying snuggled up nice & warm in one's duvet, at night, with all the hatches shut & listening to the rain lashing down on the deck. ☔
IT honks with rain in French Polynesia as well but you don't need the duvet.

dom

Visit site
IT honks with rain in French Polynesia as well but you don't need the duvet.

I love the monsoon in Southern India, especially afloat.
The atmosphere is intoxicating, the trees unbelievably green, and the amazing sounds emanating from the forest mix with that hot, heady earthy smell.
It is almost impossible to describe.
And in a strange way, it feels intimate and private beneath a sound roof (a must!!)
On the minus side, telecoms are often cut, as is power, roads are washed away, and railroads sometimes swamped.
Which is of course why crowds are much thinner, hotels cheaper and so on.
Kinda cool I think.
Thread drift again, so apols Capn Sensible, for drifting to wrong side of the world this time !!
Where is Neeves when I need him
? :)

Last edited:

Skylark

Visit site
Only today opened and read this thread. What started as an up-beat message about a high number of people (probably) setting out on a trip of a lifetime took a dark turn into the same old "my boat/lifestyle/ is best and everything else will be disparaged". Sad really.

Oh for the rich tapestry of life. There's room for all, with one common denominator. Respect others, enjoy life and be happy :) :) :)

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Only today opened and read this thread. What started as an up-beat message about a high number of people (probably) setting out on a trip of a lifetime took a dark turn into the same old "my boat/lifestyle/ is best and everything else will be disparaged". Sad really.

Oh for the rich tapestry of life. There's room for all, with one common denominator. Respect others, enjoy life and be happy :) :) :)
Don’t let it get to you.

davethedog

Visit site
Back on topic....fair few here in Puerto de Mogan (Gran Canaria) awaiting the start of the ARC also.

Now do I ask them what the best anchor is????? LOL

roblpm

Visit site
Possibly a tad unnecessary, your “small world” comment that is.

I personally like the U.K. weather - especially spring to autumn.

Endless sun is tiresome to many - horses for courses and all that.

Hmmm. For me there is a difference between sun and daylight hours!

I can live without sun. But the lack of daylight in Scotland in the winter is seriously damaging to my brain!!

My future plan is April to September in bonny Scotland. October to March somewhere a lot further South.....!

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Back on topic....fair few here in Puerto de Mogan (Gran Canaria) awaiting the start of the ARC also.

Now do I ask them what the best anchor is????? LOL
I would be more curious to know the weather forecasts they receive at sea, presumably in coded txt so freeloading oi polloi NARCS don't have access.
I crewed on a friend's boat on the return leg back to blighty (she paid for 'ARC Euro' or something) and remember being underwhelmed by the Met info.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Hmmm. For me there is a difference between sun and daylight hours!

I can live without sun. But the lack of daylight in Scotland in the winter is seriously damaging to my brain!!

My future plan is April to September in bonny Scotland. October to March somewhere a lot further South.....!
In Sweden it has a name which is an acronym SDS Sunlight Deficiency Syndrome and has a poor result when a substitute in alcohol is tried. Which is a big problem. The Vodka belt circumnavigates at this latitude Scotland, Scandinavia, Russia, and Canada among the enuits. In Scandinavia there are sun-beds for hire. In Scotland there is England always ready to help, or further South. It is a hotly debated topic with no consensus yet as far as I know.

Edit to remove the remark about the latitude of Manchester.

Last edited:

roblpm

Visit site
In Sweden it has a name which is an acronym SDS Sunlight Deficiency Syndrome and has a poor result when a substitute in alcohol is tried. Which is a big problem. The Vodka belt circumnavigates at this latitude Scotland, Scandinavia, Russia, and Canada among the enuits. In Scandinavia there are sun-beds for hire. In Scotland there is England always ready to help, or further South. It is a hotly debated topic with no consensus yet as far as I know.

SAD in UK.

Seasonal Affective Disorder.

I moved to Scotland to get away from my native England..... ? A bad option for the winter! And not enough difference!

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site

That's very interesting. I wonder if there is an equivalent syndrome caused by never-ending daylight in the northern summer?

BurnitBlue

Visit site
That's very interesting. I wonder if there is an equivalent syndrome caused by never-ending daylight in the northern summer?
Yes there is a marked effect but no acronym that I am aware of. It first displays itself in Spring and early summer when the population is released from an indoor existance caused both by a sudden rise in warm weather and a longer day The shock to the system apparantly causes strange behavoir like silliness and euphoria.

Actually SAD would cover both ends.

dom

Visit site
Yes there is a marked effect but no acronym that I am aware of. It first displays itself in Spring and early summer when the population is released from an indoor existance caused both by a sudden rise in warm weather and a longer day The shock to the system apparantly causes strange behavoir like silliness and euphoria.

Actually SAD would cover both ends.

I still get nightmares around early-spring. Always the same ones, looking at a giant syllabus and realising there is a huge amount of work before the upcoming summer exams. ?

Probably just me !

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I still get nightmares around early-spring. Always the same ones, looking at a giant syllabus and realising there is a huge amount of work before the upcoming summer exams. ?

Probably just me !
My wife works in mental health in psychiatry and it is a nightmare these days. Swedes have blue eyes blond hair and white skin to absorb the benifits of low average sunlight. Africans the opposite to minimise the bad things about too much sun. The problem begins when they migrate to Sweden, where, for instance, they easily catch virus like Covid because of virtually no benifit from the weak winter sun. Simple evolution. They then complain about discrimination in health care when 4 out of 6 covid cases are among Somalian migrants. Discussing this is like walking on eggs. Of course Swedes also jet off to sun and their boats in the med which which they can afford so adds fuel to the fire. The dreaded question "is this because I am black ....."

Not a safe topic even on here so SDS or SAD are off limits. If the moderators wish to tidy this up as "off topic" please feel free to move it or delete it. No offence intended just following the thread direction.