Biggest ever numbers crossing Atlantic this year?

Daydream believer

Visit site
I remember a summer when it did not shine for so long that when the sun did appear it was front page news. People were pretending to panic about an Alien invasion. Screaming and shouting about that strange object in the sky. All good fun trying to outdo shock and awe with one another. Only in UK. All is forgiven, instant happiness and humour.
But do you know what? I still enjoyed that year regardless. Same as I do every year:cool:
There is something special about being in the berth, laying snuggled up nice & warm in one's duvet, at night, with all the hatches shut & listening to the rain lashing down on the deck. ☔

dom

Visit site
The weather is seriously miserable. Cloud cover is absolute most of the time. Nowhere in the world do people talk about the weather more than in the UK. We are all so shocked when it's nice and just complain when it isn't.
So rather than explore the world you are happier in your small world that is the UK?….

Possibly a tad unnecessary, your “small world” comment that is.

I personally like the U.K. weather - especially spring to autumn.

Endless sun is tiresome to many - horses for courses and all that.

geem

Visit site

It wasn't meant to be derogatory. The UK is a very small world once you get out and see the rest of the planet a bit. The more time you spend away from it, the more realise there is more to life than the UK. If you only stay in the UK you are missing so much of life and opportunity to see how the rest of the world works.

dom

Visit site
It wasn't meant to be derogatory. The UK is a very small world once you get out and see the rest of the planet a bit. The more time you spend away from it, the more realise there is more to life than the UK. If you only stay in the UK you are missing so much of life and opportunity to see how the rest of the world works.

Every country represents but a small strand in the tapestry of humanity.

Nobody is saying otherwise!!

Some are simply saying they like sailing U.K. waters….

….like me for example!
:)

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site

It goes further and deeper. Our changeable but repeating climate is embedded in our culture and society.
The natives of say, Arizona, have never needed to deal with such a range of conditions, as each day is the same. Our weather has bred a hardy and inventive race, and its challenges to our ingenuity and stoicism are built in to our national character.
Just to name one or two off the cuff, without our weather we wouldn't have A Midsummer Night's Dream, Summer is Icomen In, and countless other cultural artefacts, anyone can think of some examples.
I don't understand the Brits who go and live in S.Europe, because it is always sunny and never rains. To me that would be misery.

Last edited:

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Sailors who thrive on our tricky coastline, interesting weather and strong tides have been to a good school.
(Have you ever had crew from the Baltic? Our tides, to them are terrifying and unmaneagable.)

geem

Visit site
Every country represents but a small strand in the tapestry of humanity.

Nobody is saying otherwise!!

Some are simply saying they like sailing U.K. waters….

….like me for example!
:)
Sailed the UK water since I was a nipper. A great place to cut your teeth but with so much more out there why limit your horizons if you have the opportunity. Very few people sail in a UK winter. Sail all winter where the climate is better. It's another world

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Sailed the UK water since I was a nipper. A great place to cut your teeth but with so much more out there why limit your horizons if you have the opportunity. Very few people sail in a UK winter. Sail all winter where the climate is better. It's another world
I am one of those few.

dom

Visit site

Gosh , what condescension!

I cut my teeth sailing the Bay of Bengal, the Arabian Sea, and the amazing Gulf of Mannar.

Be careful giving it too large about travel on a sailing forum I always think.
??

geem

Visit site

I cut my teeth sailing the Bay of Bengal, the Arabian Sea, and the amazing Gulf of Mannar.

??
So now who is giving it large

Kelpie

Visit site
Why all the oneupmanship?
We don't all want the same thing. Just as well, there wouldn't be room if every sailor tried to be in the same place at the same time.

I've loved living in Scotland, and learning to sail on the west coast. But I'm not naive enough to think that I happen to have been born in the only bit of the world worth sailing. Which is why I'm heading south, and I'm absolutely loving it. Good weather, good food, lovely people, what's not to like?

We had an unplanned trip back to Scotland recently. Left Spain to arrive in a place with half empty supermarket shelves and almost continuous rain. Couldn't get back to the boat fast enough.

geem

Visit site

??
I think you will find I was mentioning placed we have sailed to from the UK on a sailing forum

Frogmogman

Visit site
I remember one winter in England where we did not see even a slightest hint of the sun for about 4 or 5 weeks, and I was wondering if it had maybe absconded off somewhere.
Reminds me of the joke about two blokes looking at the sky, and one says to the other “What’s that big yellow thing ?” The other replies “I’ve no idea. I’m from Port Talbot”.

dom

Visit site
Anyway, moving on:

Probably a banned word in here but it ain't for me to edit and it ain't what it means today!!

When that I was and a little tiny boy,​
With hey, ho, the wind and the rain;​
A foolish thing was but a toy,​
For the rain it raineth every day.​
But when I came to man’s estate,​
‘Gainst knaves and thieves men shut their gate,​
But when I came, alas! to wive,​
By swaggering could I never thrive,​