Biggest ever numbers crossing Atlantic this year?

Daydream believer

Visit site
All this talk of staying this side of the atlantic seems to ignore the 90 day rule for staying in the EU. Are you all just ignoring it, or are you applying for some sort of long stay visa-- and getting it Ok?

Kelpie

Visit site
All this talk of staying this side of the atlantic seems to ignore the 90 day rule for staying in the EU. Are you all just ignoring it, or are you applying for some sort of long stay visa-- and getting it Ok?

Well in my case I'm an Irish citizen so thankfully not affected.
Not sure about others. Recently spoke to an American who had used the long stay visa for France, but did not apply in time to get it extended and is now moving on.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Hello, thanks for your updates. Would appreciate any tips on haulout in las Palma's... Thanks!
Well the normally excellent Canary Islands pilot has no information about the boatyard although there is a travel hoist. Hard standing looks small.

You could call 0034 928 214 750 or 928214 755. English is spoken. However until the arc gouges, don't hold your breath on a response.

Email marina@palmasport.es

Unless you really need to use las palmas, there are, in my view, better options around. ?

Beneteau381

Visit site
I say this as I sit with a yet another project scope document needing negotiated, written and signed off by awkward stakeholders on a cold Scottish Friday morning - but, having read the above I've discovered you can really go off some people! Lucky so-an-so!
We have been on the Algarve/Gibraltar for the last 8 years, however we commute between boat and UK as flights dictate. Having a ball. You could leave yours at Albufeira, about €5k for our 38 ft pa. Then Ryanair, as our latest flights are, 14.99 each out, and €24.99 each home. Cheaper than some of the south coast marinas. Our favourite bar on Culatra have just put the price of a 330 cl bottle of Sagres up to €1.20 ? and a caneka (pint) draught Sagres or Super Bock in Albufeira marina bar is on offer at €1.99

Daydream believer

Visit site
We have been on the Algarve/Gibraltar for the last 8 years, however we commute between boat and UK as flights dictate. Having a ball. You could leave yours at Albufeira, about €5k for our 38 ft pa. Then Ryanair, as our latest flights are, 14.99 each out, and €24.99 each home. Cheaper than some of the south coast marinas. Our favourite bar on Culatra have just put the price of a 330 cl bottle of Sagres up to €1.20 ? and a caneka (pint) draught Sagres or Super Bock in Albufeira marina bar is on offer at €1.99
I do not suppose anyone else feels like me, but that would bore me to tears. Stuck on a plane to go sailing for starters would be a big no no. Give me the UK weather & N coast of europe any day. Sail home when I want, have the boat 4.5 miles from home. Gotta be a plus. No booking, just drive (sometimes cycle) to the marina & go sailing. No getting too hot either. Does the price of plonk really matter? I think not.
Do I want to sail somebody else's yacht, like capnsensible in the earlier post above?- No not really. I am happy with what I have. One learns over the years that envy gets one nowhere in the end. Work for it & get your own if it means that much.
Minerva is complaining about a cold Scottish day. Depending where he is in Scotland one might actually think how lucky he is to be there in the first place. What a lovely sailing area. Stop moaning & look on the plus side---especially if you have a decent view out of the window.

Last edited:

geem

Visit site
I do not suppose anyone else feels like me, but that would bore me to tears. Stuck on a plane to go sailing for starters would be a big no no. Give me the UK weather & N coast of europe any day. Sail home when I want, have the boat 4.5 miles from home. Gotta be a plus. No booking, just drive (sometimes cycle) to the marina & go sailing. No getting too hot either. Does the price of plonk really matter? I think not.
Apart from a sail back to UK from Caribbean due to Covid, I will never sail in the UK again if I have my way.
The weather is miserable too much of the time. Then there is winter when it is miserable all of the time.
The sea is cold.
If you don't have to work you don't have to be in the UK. The more time I spend away from the UK the less appealing the UK seems to get.
We can see the day when we sell all assets in the UK and move abroad full time

Daydream believer

Visit site
The weather is miserable too much of the time. Then there is winter when it is miserable all of the time.
The sea is cold.
If you don't have to work you don't have to be in the UK. The more time I spend away from the UK the less appealing the UK seems to get.
We can see the day when we sell all assets in the UK and move abroad full time
The weather is not miserable. It is an attitude of mind that makes it so. It does not matter how cold the sea is. Do not fall in it if you do not like it. One just kits oneself out for it. Simple.
As for winter, I do so many jobs for the sailing club & others, plus I have other hobbies to take a break from sailing, ( which I think is important) that my winter time passes up quite quickly.
Is the Med that good in the winter? I have no idea about the Carribean, but Youtube puts me off of it.
I imagine it must get very boring after the first few months. Every video one sees is essentially the same.
Some books put one off- "We walked up this, or that, hill, looked at some deralict old church, castle etc. Looked at the sea, then walked back"-" Then sailed up the coast to another rolly anchorage & did it again"-- how exciting was that?
When not sailing I prefer to be surrounded by friends (& family): rather than the pompous casual aquaintances, that one gets when being a liveaboard,that we encountered when we tried it.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Do I want to sail somebody else's yacht, like capnsensible in the earlier post above?- No not really. I am happy with what I have. One learns over the years that envy gets one nowhere in the end. Work for it & get your own if it means that much.
Minerva is complaining about a cold Scottish day. Depending where he is in Scotland one might actually think how lucky he is to be there in the first place. What a lovely sailing area. Stop moaning & look on the plus side---especially if you have a decent view out of the window.
4.5 miles to your yacht????? Driving that far would bore me to tears. I can walk to mine in fifteen minutes. ???

But each to their own. I started sailing for a living 25 years ago now and we started living on our own yacht around the same time. A couple of years out in all weathers...which for the occasional leisure sail was a great adventure....saw us seeking warmer climates. Many winters in the Gib Straits saw another move further south. No more cold weather grey sky grey sea for me thank you!

In a mostly pleasant climate I sail my own yacht. Plus several others belonging to friends who ask me to coach them a bit. Still do the occasional delivery.

We've taken our own boat to the Caribbean twice. You really would have to be a right old grouch not to find places that are awesomely fab. The pro sailing has taken me around the med, up and down to the canaries, Biscay loadsa times, another ten transats, through the Panama Canal twice and as far as Tahiti.

So each to their own. U.K. Sailing is clearly enormously popular, don't for one second think I'm knocking it.....was an apprentiship for me across the Channel countless times, Scottish waters, even up to Norway. But hey, I like warm!

Do enjoy your sailing grounds, sounds like you are sorted. Wrap up well whilst I slap on the factor thirty!

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Viva Sharkeys!! ????

geem

Visit site
The weather is not miserable. It is an attitude of mind that makes it so. It does not matter how cold the sea is. Do not fall in it if you do not like it. One just kits oneself out for it. Simple.
As for winter, I do so many jobs for the sailing club & others, plus I have other hobbies to take a break from sailing, ( which I think is important) that my winter time passes up quite quickly.
Is the Med that good in the winter? I have no idea about the Carribean, but Youtube puts me off of it.
I imagine it must get very boring after the first few months. Every video one sees is essentially the same.
Some books put one off- "We walked up this, or that, hill, looked at some deralict old church, castle etc. Looked at the sea, then walked back"-" Then sailed up the coast to another rolly anchorage & did it again"-- how exciting was that?
When not sailing I prefer to be surrounded by friends (& family): rather than the pompous casual aquaintances, that one gets when being a liveaboard,that we encountered when we tried it.
The weather is seriously miserable. Cloud cover is absolute most of the time. Nowhere in the world do people talk about the weather more than in the UK. We are all so shocked when it's nice and just complain when it isn't.
So rather than explore the world you are happier in your small world that is the UK?
If that suits YOU. That's fine. There are many like ourselves, that want to see the rest of the world a little. A sailing boat is a great way to do it. We have met some great people over the years. We keep in touch and meet up with friends we have made from all over the world. We have friends from Brazil, Venezuela, Canada, America, Netherlands and France that we keep in contact with and consider life long friends. We just met up in Portugal with our Venezuela n friends for a couple of weeks.
We have visited parts of Europe, North America, South America and the Caribbean. We make our mind up about a place and it people by visiting not by watching Utube.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I remember one winter in England where we did not see even a slightest hint of the sun for about 4 or 5 weeks, and I was wondering if it had maybe absconded off somewhere.
I remember a summer when it did not shine for so long that when the sun did appear it was front page news. People were pretending to panic about an Alien invasion. Screaming and shouting about that strange object in the sky. All good fun trying to outdo shock and awe with one another. Only in UK. All is forgiven, instant happiness and humour.