Big tide at the Tide Mill

Bodach na mara

Visit site
As johnalison said. We were looking for our current boat and there was one to view at Melton boatyard. We were early and spent a pleasant couple of hours in Woodbridge including a visit to the mill, fortunately during the time at which it was working. This is restricted by the small volume of the mill pond to a fairly short period after high water each day.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
slight Fred Drift ere ; notice that the Quays with railings etc on their perimiter offer a safety marker when the Quay becomes over topped , whereas like at Woodbridge where there are non (in my experience ) its really easy to walk straight off the Quay perimiter into really deep water ;
Just maybe be Councils and Quay Owners should consider errecting perimeter railings for safety ; with prospect of higher tides owing to various issues in near future railings will become a must ;
Sorry for Fred Drift ; good photos of the flooded Quays etc

Leighb

Visit site
slight Fred Drift ere ; notice that the Quays with railings etc on their perimiter offer a safety marker when the Quay becomes over topped , whereas like at Woodbridge where there are non (in my experience ) its really easy to walk straight off the Quay perimiter into really deep water ;
Just maybe be Councils and Quay Owners should consider errecting perimeter railings for safety ; with prospect of higher tides owing to various issues in near future railings will become a must ;
Sorry for Fred Drift ; good photos of the flooded Quays etc
Sorry, but I have to disagree, there is far too much of this Elf & Safety attitude, a really stupid example is at Pin Mill where, when a concrete structure was built on the foreshore to take some benches - an excellent idea - an H&S obsessed pr*t insisted that the edge of the approx knee high structure should be protected. A massive steel railing was fitted which is ugly and quite out of proportion. It is however quite popular with small children who like swinging on it!! It is visible in the 1st of Aquaboys photos above.
At Woodbridge there are posts and the tops of ladders showing above the HW which give an indication of where the edge is.
A fence would also make access to board boats etc much more difficult and possibly be a hazard in itself.

PeterWright

Visit site
The purpose of quays is to allow vessels to come alongside and transfer passengers or cargo to or from the vessel. The placement of fences along a quayside is a major obstruction to the purpose for which it was built and renders its fundamental function less safe. Nobody with a real knowledge of health and safety would propose such an absutdity, but that doesn't prevent some of those appointed to administer H&S proposing such absurd ideas.

Recent legislation has enhanced access of citizens to the coastline (except where a golf course meets the cost - go figure tbe favourite pastime of MPs) While I am mostly in support of that idea, the public accesing the coast need to be cogniscent of the hazards which exist on the coast and look after themselves, rather than making the lives of those who work on the coast more difficult to suit the needs of pleasure trippers

Peter

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
I think that I agree with Capt Popeye. Although I don’t know it well, I go there occasionally. I have never felt myself to be at risk but I can imagine situations where there could be a significant risk, especially to children. I know places where a rail has been installed a foot or so back from the edge and with sufficient breaks to make boarding there straightforward.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Might mention that probably the access afforded by us Public to the Quays and Harbours has lncreased the likelyhood of accidental falling off into the Water or Mud at many Quays and Harbours these days ; plus the falling off of many access points like Stone Stairways/ Steps which do not have Handrails fitted to them ; Ok in the days when these were only used by active fellas whos lives were probably considered as dispensible as the main occupation was probably Sea Fishing , Inshore or Deep Sea etc

I recall that a young woman who was using a Mobility Scooter , accompanied by Friends , was travelling the Harbour Walls at Lyme Regis a few years ago ; these walls are really quite wide but covered on Stone / Boulders ; so rather uneven ; There are (were) no posts to mark the edge of the Harbour Wall ; for some reason the Disability Scooter verged towards the Edge and it toppled into the water taking the young Woman with it ; all rescue attempts by local Boatmen , Family , Friends etc failed to get her head above water so She drowned ; I have visited Lyme Regis Harbour quite a few times since that sad event , and have always felt that a Barrier placed a distance back from the Edge would have prevented such a accident happening again .

Barriers were I have seen them installed , like at parts of Paignton Harbour actuall become usefull as Tie Off points to the local Boats plus somethin to lean on when supping local drinks etc ; So these Barriers can be most usefull in many ways

Aquaboy

Visit site
Lets go nowhere near or on the water at all then we wont risk drowning..........

The lump of concrete and railings at Pinmill was to stop people parking in that area...........they put wooden posts around the "edge" of the road first.....everyone drove around and below them and carried on parking funnily enough.......

PilotWolf

Visit site
Lets go nowhere near or on the water at all then we wont risk drowning..........

The lump of concrete and railings at Pinmill was to stop people parking in that area...........they put wooden posts around the "edge" of the road first.....everyone drove around and below them and carried on parking funnily enough.......

In Boston, MA there is a path that runs around the harbor continuously for over 40 miles with the exception of on very exclusive set of town houses and the USCG base. All well maintained and has unobtrusive railings that would stop anyone other than the really stupid from falling in.

W

PeterWright

Visit site
tonight's viewing.......
I would like to think the folk filmed working on the sailing barge were recovering parts to use in the restotation of some other barge, but the sight of burning gear being used to dismantle her steering and the shot of her steering shaft, still carrying the two bronze nuts, being balanced on the top of a wobbly oil drum ready to fall o/b didn't encourage me. In the early 1980s, I put a lot of work into restoring the steering gear for one of TBSC's barges including casting and turning new phosphor bronze nuts for the 3" left and right hand square threads. Such rare components should be treated with respect.

Peter.

Leighb

Visit site

Recollections may differ.?
As far as I can remember it was the Pin Mill committee of the Parish Council who thought it would be a good idea to have benches installed at the top of the hard. The intention was that they would be installed on a sloping concrete area, an extension of the existing roadway. However the builder who did the work apparently said that it was impossible to lay concrete on a slope (!!!!) and therefore put in shuttering and built a relatively flat platform for the benches. It was then decided that the vertical drop from the front edge constituted a dangerous hazard and thus the ugly steel pipe railings were installed.
AFAIK the question of parking on the foreshore was not a consideration. Folk do still park there, and if they are local will have checked the tide times, some visitors fail to do so from time to time.

Other threads that may be of interest