Bideford

Flossdog

Visit site
We are just planning where to go this summer and I would like to visit Bideford again. The last time we were there (2015) we had to moor alongside the quay but that involved a horrendous climb up the ladder especially at low water and to make matters worse the top of the ladder was flush with the quay which made for quite a scary climb. Just wanted to know if things have changed or perhaps the port has made life for visiting yachties easier with better facilities?
Thanks

Gumpy

Visit site
Still the same!
You are brave coming into the estuary, the bar always looks fearsome.
Appledore may be slightly better as there are hoops at the top of the ladders but still a big climb and its an easy bus ride into Bideford.

Allan

Visit site
Still the same!
You are brave coming into the estuary, the bar always looks fearsome.
Appledore may be slightly better as there are hoops at the top of the ladders but still a big climb and its an easy bus ride into Bideford.
I agree with Loddon 100%. Appledore is definitely preferable. I used to put my bilge keeler at the upstream end of the quay just before the second slipway. I once went in about half way along, only to be told that a fishing boat had been there for a while and could come back in during the night. Part of me thought, it's a free port, first come first served. As they had left mooring ropes, I decided to move down. The next day, they hadn't returned but, at low water, I could see his keel had cut into the sand, just where my outer keel would have been! At best I would have hung on the warps, at worst I would have fallen over!
Have a great trip!
Allan

graham

Visit site
Is it possible to anchor and dry out close to the moorings at Instow with a bilge keel boat? I'm not a great fan of drying out next to Quay walls .

Gumpy

Visit site
Is it possible to anchor and dry out close to the moorings at Instow with a bilge keel boat? I'm not a great fan of drying out next to Quay walls .
I would say yes very possible, I haven't done it but there is plenty of room at the downstream end.
There is a ferry across to Appledore and a good bus service into Bideford.
NDYC in Instow could also be a place to stop although I am not sure what tidal access is like.

Flossdog

Visit site
Thanks Guys, Bideford is out then. In 2015 we did spend about 6 days storm bound on a mooring at Instow. Actually it was quite nice. We dried out upright most tides but once we dried out at 14 deg which believe me, makes living in the boat very difficult. The trouble with being on a mooring for such a time is keeping the water tank replenished. We don't carry big cans but if we did, we would have to lump it ashore in the dinghy which is a real pain. The ferry was most accommodating at high water and they used to collect and deliver us back again. The tourists in the ferry were most impressed. Actually, the bar was not a problem. I remember that we went in 3hrs before HW. It was calmish and we didn't touch but we do have a lifting keel. Being based in Wales we are quite used to bars (Cardigan, Aberdyfi, Barmouth, Porthmadog, etc.). Getting back to Bideford, I do think that the port is missing a trick. A floating pontoon alongside the quay would draw the yachties and be an interest for the tourists.

jakew009

Visit site
There is actually a plan to install a pontoon at the new Brunswick Wharf development

1618605797773.jpeg

However, Torridge District Council are such a bunch of incompetent cockwombles it looks like the pontoon is not going to get built because the council don’t want to take on any maintenance responsibility for it after it is built.

Allan

Visit site
I've anchored on the beach at Instow. I just dropped a kedge while heading in about an hour after high water. I hit the sand and sat there with the engine running until it settled. I then walked the main anchor up the beach a little and dug it in. Leaving was simply dig out the main anchor, wait for the tide and pulled myself out by putting the kedge rode on a winch. I had already been there a full day on a friends mooring, so I knew the swell was not too bad.
I still prefer the quayside as Appledore, I've never tried Instow quay.
Allan