Betsy?

FL390

Visit site
I’ve just discovered Guy Waites blog about the refit of Betsy. And subsequently devouring everything I can find on MingMing II.

Personally getting from Brighton to IOW would be challenge enough with my experience. However there is something about these boats that greatly appeals to me; the minimalism the self reliance. Probably the same part of me that desires a Land Rover Defender with snorkel and winch - sadly never going to be used on the school run!

The refit of Betsy was phenomenal. Is that normal prep before you jester types head to sea? I see Betsy was sold about a year ago. A bit of a crass question but hopefully enough water under the bridge - does anyone know what the asking price was? I’m inquisitive as to how one even begins to value that sort of time and effort.

What is the main objective of the addition of foam in these boats? Is it to make an unsinkable resource miles from rescue, or increasing the odds of survivability of a capsize?

Thanks

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I was in Newport earlier in the year and they are still talking about Guy Waites arriving there in Betsy. She seems to shrink every time the story is told. She was less than 20 feet in length by the time I left.

I have no idea what Guy paid for or sold Betsy for but I don't think you can look at your preparations for an ocean voyage and expect to get even a fraction of your money back. so there is no way of valuing the time and effort. If you put the preparations in it is for yourself and your own safety and is perhaps like an insurance premium not recoverable if nothing goes wrong.

As far a foam is concerned most of teh Jesters who use it see it as far as I am aware as a substitute for a liferaft. That is to make your boat unsinkable rather than rely on another means to escape from a sinking boat. I have always relied on a liferaft for peace of mind but then I have never sailed the ocean in less than a 8 metre boat. The number of times I have looked our at teh conditions outside and said 'I wouldn't want to be out there in a liferaft!'

Inspired by this thread I just watched Guy's video on the capsize of Betsy here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enwU0GgEz84
I was interested that he described his position as just south of the Grand Banks. Both times I have had a really bad knock down it has been near relatively shallow water. Once passing over teh Mid Atlantic Ridge in an F10 and the other time just south of the Agulhas Bank in the Southern Ocean.

co256

worldwidewaites.blogspot.com
Betsy was in a sad and sorry state when I paid £750 for her, I maintain to this day that was £500 more than she was worth!

She sold for the asking price of £4500 but that included a four wheel trailer and a very good Windpilot Pacific Light.

John is absolutely right, you never get back the value of all your effort, the rebuild of Betsy took the best part of 4 years, but you don’t do it for the money, every hour is an investment in your chances of success, an insurance certificate is a worthless piece of paper in the middle of nowhere.

Foam in compartments is purely a substitute for a liferaft (as John says I wouldn’t ever want to get in to one) and a very affordable one in a small boat like Betsy.

And just for the record... she was 20ft 9 inches LOA.

FL390

Visit site
Thanks for the reply Guy, I feel a little star struck! Your four years of effort gave birth to a formidable and awe inspiring boat.