BetaMarine 25

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
I am getting rid of my defective and also noisy Bukh 24 . It is to go in an LM27 and my yard assures me that most engines are smaller and lighter than the Bukh so another make will no doubt fit.

I had thought to get a Yanmar 3YM30 as in the boat we just sold as gloriously quiet compared with the old Volvo Penta that it had originally. Yanmar are uncommunicative and I noticed from Forums that Beta Marine are regarded as more helpful. Beta are also slightly cheaper and Beta are offering Boat Show discount right now. They need the trade - I need an engine. Could be win win.

Does anyone have an opinion on Beta engines reliability, smoothness etc?

Bobc

Visit site
I swapped a VP out for a Beta 50 last year and have been very happy with it. Can't comment on the model you're looking at.

Bodach na mara

Visit site
In 2018 I replaced my Volvo Penta 2003 with a Beta 30. I have now had the benefit of 2 seasons use. It is quiet, economic and reliable. It has been serviced once as specified at 50 hours which it reached at the end of last season. My only gripes are that I needed to replace the prop as the direction of rotation is different, and there is an anode in the raw water system that seems to need frequent changing.

Shanty

Visit site
Shanty has a Beta 20. I'm very pleased with it. Truly excellent pre and post sale support from Beta. Highly recommended.

It is worth noting that Beta can supply custom engine mounts to fit your existing engine bearers - might make the changeover a bit easier/cheaper.

siwhi

Visit site
Our old boat (Moody 31) had a Beta 25. Great engine, very reliable (never skipped a beat), easy to service, cheap parts, no unnecessary electronics to go wrong, great service from Beta.

Carib

www.sailinginlimbo.blogspot.com
Did anyone swap to a Beta from a Bukh? I know many people love them but like the OP I find mine (the Bukh) rather loud - it also feels quite slow to respond and generally quite cumbersome, if you know what I mean. Did you see a great difference?

Last edited:

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I swapped a BMC 1500 with a Beta 25. I fitted new sound insulation in the engine compartment, almost the best from ASAP. New exhaust system etc. The Beta idles at 950rpm whereas the BMC was at 550rpm. The Beta is noisier, which surprised me as the BMC was almost inaudible at idling. A friend has a Bukh and it is noisier than my Beta. However don't be put off by my comments - it's an excellent engine, now over 13yrs old and still starts instantly. Beta made engine mounts to suit my engine bearers which saved me making new ones. You may have to factor a new prop &possibly shaft. I also fitted a non-drip prop seal. Beta allow DIY installation but has to be checked by Beta engineer to get full warranty. I bought mine at a boat show deal. On a Moody 33mk2.
PS - you'll be able to sell the Bukh easily on ebay - I got £250 for my knackered BMC 1500!

neilf39

www.konsortkoto.wordpress.com
Swapped my bukh dv20 for a beta 25. So much better. Smaller, easier to service, much lighter. Had to change prop shaft and prop as engine is shorter and needed a bigger prop. Other ancillaries will probably need changing. Exhaust is on opposite side. Had it for over 2 years so far a no issues. Starts the instant you press the button.

Carib

Swapped my bukh dv20 for a beta 25. So much better. Smaller, easier to service, much lighter. Had to change prop shaft and prop as engine is shorter and needed a bigger prop. Other ancillaries will probably need changing. Exhaust is on opposite side. Had it for over 2 years so far a no issues. Starts the instant you press the button.
Thanks - how does the power and general response compare (suspect my Bukh has lost a few hp over the years..)?

Ulysses II

Visit site
I have a Beta 25 in my Centurion 32. It has been excellent. Starts immediately, smooth and quite running, plenty of power and easy to service. Fingers crossed that I haven't jinxed it!

neilf39

www.konsortkoto.wordpress.com
Thanks - how does the power and general response compare (suspect my Bukh has lost a few hp over the years..)?
Response is much better and power is great. I get 5 kn at 2000 revs and 6.5 at 3000. I went for a big low pitched 3 blade feathering prop to punch through the sort of chop you get in the Solent. 15 x 8 I think, I can't remember.

Scomber

Visit site
Same for us bukh 20 to beta 25 a number of yrs ago ,, finished up with new engine beds ,, a bit of messing with exhaust stuff too . Similar performance as quoted above ,,

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Another point is that my DV24 was using about 3 litres an hour, but a modern engine such as Beta 25 might use 2 litres an hour (my Yanmar 3YM30 did). On a typical long trip with a total of 48hours running - say Plymouth to Morbihan if winds nil or one needs to get in before storm hit, the difference is 48 litres saved and thus about 48 pounds. Over my next ten years of cruising that could amount to nearly 500 of cost saved by having the more efficient engine. Perhaps as I approach complete retirement I will only cross to Brittany or Ireland in ideal winds, but I would not bet on the gods of tide and weather being so favourable

Carib

Another point is that my DV24 was using about 3 litres an hour, but a modern engine such as Beta 25 might use 2 litres an hour (my Yanmar 3YM30 did). On a typical long trip with a total of 48hours running - say Plymouth to Morbihan if winds nil or one needs to get in before storm hit, the difference is 48 litres saved and thus about 48 pounds. Over my next ten years of cruising that could amount to nearly 500 of cost saved by having the more efficient engine. Perhaps as I approach complete retirement I will only cross to Brittany or Ireland in ideal winds, but I would not bet on the gods of tide and weather being so favourable
Thanks - this gives me useful ammunition against the day when I try to justify the cost of re-engining.. :)

Other threads that may be of interest