Beta 20 alternator charging voltage

MattS

Visit site
Victron things can be quite clever, and I believe some of them do an occasional equalising charge where they do briefly charge at higher than normal voltage, I think it may be set to default at every 3 months (and that interval is changeable via their app if you can link your phone to the controller via bluetooth ).

If the controller hasn't had a chance to do the scheduled equalising charge because of lack of much solar power during winter then maybe it seized its chance when you ran the alternator ?

Can't claim to understand enough to know whether this is possible or not, but I do remember reading about the equalising charge and I could well believe Victron was clever enough to do it.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Victron things can be quite clever, and I believe some of them do an occasional equalising charge where they do briefly charge at higher than normal voltage, I think it may be set to default at every 3 months (and that interval is changeable via their app if you can link your phone to the controller via bluetooth ).

If the controller hasn't had a chance to do the scheduled equalising charge because of lack of much solar power during winter then maybe it seized its chance when you ran the alternator ?

The feature does exist, but it can't use the alternator to do it.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Can't claim to understand enough to know whether this is possible or not, but I do remember reading about the equalising charge and I could well believe Victron was clever enough to do it.

Check the settings in the Victron app', if it's on, turn it off.

If you see 15v again, go to the Victron app' and turn solar charging off, that'll confirm if it's the alternator or the solar controller.

billcole

Visit site
The feature does exist, but it can't use the alternator to do it.
I know the solar controller can't control the current to the field windings on the alternator, but maybe with both alternator and panels working at the same time/in quick succession ? i.e. alternator charges up to 14.4 or so at which point the batteries become less charge-current hungry and so the panels are now able to increase charge voltage to 15v ? Or the alternator charges the starting battery to 14.4 and then the currrent available from panels is sufficient to raise house battery to 15v (assuming some kind of charge sharing device is present).
I agree it is in no way certain that the Victron was trying to equalise charge the battery, but a temporary increase to 15 V that can't later be replicated does make you at least suspect it may have had some involvement.

MattS

Visit site
So it wasn't the Equalisation charge from the Victron MPPT controller...

Attachments

• IMG_2966.PNG
    IMG_2966.PNG
    323.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2968.PNG
    IMG_2968.PNG
    304.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2967.PNG
    IMG_2967.PNG
    329.9 KB · Views: 16