Best Glue For Wood

lw395

Visit site
For mending large bits of outdoor woodwork, I'd use an exterior PVA glue.
Much more sensible cost for big jobs.
The 'Instant Nails' stuff from Toolstation is also very useful and cost effective, despite bearing no resemblance to either 'instant' or 'nails'.

Mending a gate is different from building a Merlin Rocket.

Refueler

Visit site
I always find it interesting that you can have a glue that is stronger than the material it is joining - but the repair often fails before the material ......

On a Gate or similar - I would usually look at inserting a bridging piece or dowel across the joint to increase the strength of joint. You see many people make the mistake of screwing metal plates ... but they soon fail and are loose. Better a wood dowel inside the joint - which not only gives mechanical strength but also increases glued area into the good material.

C08

Visit site
Yes I had planned to dowel as well. Having great difficulty finding 100mm x50mm,it seems industry standard 4x2 ia about 95mm x45mm planed, even sawn timber is not normally actually 100x50. I will probably have to have a bigger section planed down...at a cost.

Old Harry

Visit site
Yes I had planned to dowel as well. Having great difficulty finding 100mm x50mm,it seems industry standard 4x2 ia about 95mm x45mm planed, even sawn timber is not normally actually 100x50. I will probably have to have a bigger section planed down...at a cost.
All timber is nominal sawn dims, 6mm is remover to plane it to PAR

DownWest

Visit site
An electric planer is peanuts at B&Q, then can be used to assult wood later on. Far cheaper than asking for it to be done.

C08

Visit site
I have my dowels, Titebond but still no wood. Still a full time job trying to get a food delivery