Best (cheap) boat for single handed Atlantic circuit?

gertha

Visit site
If I was contemplating a solo Atlantic circuit, the first thing I would check is my brain.
I am not being facetious, it takes a particular sort of person who enjoys his own company for long periods.
Solo sailors are a unique bunch, I have great respect for them. I have met them in bars and in marinas .I know it is not for me.

The biggest problem with sailing Atlantic circuit in a small boat in the near future is the chance of another lockdown .
On a small boat it will be difficult to keep enough to be self sufficient for a prolonged period.
The boats in the Caribbean at this point in time have a real problem trying to sail back to UK
A water maker and enough food as back up for a return trip in one go is the only option I can see.
If you end up somewhere and a lockdown happens , we can be sure next time it will be a lot quicker than this time, pulling up anchor and sailing for home in one hit is the only thing to do.

As another option with your £ 20k.
Find someone like me, big boat prepared and done the trip, swap the 20k for a share in boat, do the trip 2 or 3 handed .
There are many of us scratching our heads on what we are going to do with our boats in the next year or two, selling is probably not an option.
You could try starting a thread, with this idea, see where it goes. Or maybe someone already has

Keep safe

Simin

doug748

Visit site

Interesting to compare the Contessa 32, next to the Nicholson, in the first photo. It's deceptive, with the Contessa shortened, in the background, their beam is the same.
However look at the widths of the coachroofs, at the forward end and the foredeck space on the Nick which has it's beam carried much further forward.

No point really, just an illuminating photo.

Charlie P

Visit site
You might be able to pick up a Westerly Conway near to your budget. Good in heavy weather but also able to sail to windward well in lighter airs - my uncle had one from 1977 - 1992 and it was surprisingly quick. Great layout and most appear to have been re-engined. It would certainly be top of my list if I was working within the parameters/ objectives that you have set. Good luck with your plans - and I suspect that 15 months from now we'll be back on track.

PhillM

Visit site
Some really great suggestions here. I do like the look of the Nic. Hmm decisions decisions ... although nothing to be decided until this lock-down is sorted.

As for solo sailing. I do get the "can you live with yourself for ages". Must admit I am quite a sociable person (well I'd Iike to think so, anyway). However, when I am at sea, I am happily occupied and when in port, I tend to meet more people and have been get invited to all sorts of events. Which never seems to happen in quite the same way when sailing in-company or with a crew. Dont get me wrong, I like sailing with others, but I am happy to venture off alone.

To pass the time, I am going with a working assumption that my old wooden hull would be up to it, certainly as far as Cape Verde and back in a year (no passage seems to need to be over 400 NM which means I can be choosy about weather (but crossing from there to Brazil is another matter). So am busily working out what I would want to do to her to prep her for this trip. I have put a lot of the basics for longer passes in place over the past couple of years e.g. power (solar on the hatch), water (125L in various containers), fuel (50L in tank and containers), internal handholds, lee cloths, locker catches, (note to self, floor boards need locking down), wind Seafeather vane, everything running back to the cockpit, standing rigging inspected last year and any defects rectified, newish running rigging (6 years) , newish sails ( 5 years old ). Origo stove and plenty of food storage space.

Things I am thinking about atm:
AIS TX (have radio with receive already)
Perhaps new plotter or AIS on WiFi and Navionics on tablet (have 1 fixed GPS in one hand held).
Better washboards and ability to see out 360 from inside.
Cockpit boards - so as to reduce volume should/when a wave comes over.
A few more clip on points - although I have central jackstays and when clipped I cannot fall off.
Storm boards
Anchoring (lets NOT talk about this one).
Drogue - perhaps JS and of course the issue of where to place the chain plates for it and how to launch over the SS gear.

What am I missing?

RobF

Visit site
Agree with AIS.
New plotter won't be helpful in the middle of the Atlantic. You can get a couple of iPads for the price of a plotter, this would be my choice
Washboards / storm boards = sensible. Plastic dome = a bit 1970s
Cockpit boards = sensible, check the size of your scuppers for drainage
Clip on points sensible
Decent anchor and chain
JS drogue is expensive & requires mods to the boat. There's an interesting YouTube video with Skip Novak who discusses why he wouldn't use one.

WindVane Self Steer would be on my list. Also, reasonable solar panel and MPPT controller.

Added:
URL for drogues etc =
Skip Novak's Storm Sailing Techniques Part 7: drogues

Last edited:

PhillM

Visit site
Agree with AIS.
New plotter won't be helpful in the middle of the Atlantic. You can get a couple of iPads for the price of a plotter, this would be my choice
Washboards / storm boards = sensible. Plastic dome = a bit 1970s
Cockpit boards = sensible, check the size of your scuppers for drainage
Clip on points sensible
Decent anchor and chain
JS drogue is expensive & requires mods to the boat. There's an interesting YouTube video with Skip Novak who discusses why he wouldn't use one.

WindVane Self Steer would be on my list. Also, reasonable solar panel and MPPT controller.

thanks Rob, I’ll check out Skip.
I’ve got a Windvane and 50w solar in one panel on the hatch. Must admit Im not sure how it’s mounted (cable tied to fixing points so its removable), would survive a gale, so will review that. Although I do like that it’s easily removable.

Kelpie

Visit site
What's your trade winds sailing rig?
Is your cockpit self draining?
Maybe consider spreader-mounted deck lights for easier foredeck work at night. Granny bars probably a bit overkill for the size of boat?

Stemar

Visit site
My first requirement for a blue water boat would be to have all lines led aft so I can handle the sails from the cockpit. It's bad enough putting in the last reef in the Solent, I'd hate to have to do it in a tropical squall!

jwilson

Visit site
Whilst the classic small long-distance short-handed boats might be long-keel Vertues, smaller Vancouvers, and the many GRP Folkboat derivatives., there are a lot of early fin and skeg cruiser-racers that are just as solid and a bit faster. I'm thinking of various smaller Rivals and Shes, Hustler 30, Albin Ballad, several sizes of Contest, Elizabethan 30, Javelin, etc.

Ultimately finding a good sound example not needing main items replaced is key. Cosmetic condition less important.

Skylark

Visit site
To pass the time, I am going with a working assumption that my old wooden hull would be up to it, certainly as far as Cape Verde and back in a year.........

Sounds like a reasonable assumption (as I suggested in post #4 (y))

Modern chart plotters are very hungry beasts so with a limited house bank and limited solar I wouldn't bother installing one. Some means of alarming you to nearby traffic would help peace of mind and the ColRegs obligation to "keep a lookout at all times"

I'd spend sometime to ensure that you're comfortable with offshore navigation. With basic chart instruments, a Great Circle / Routing Chart and possibly a few hand drawn Plotting Sheets it should be possible to navigate safely by checking your GPS position with the hand-held once per day. This will save a lot of power.

Good luck, fair winds

PhillM

Visit site
What's your trade winds sailing rig?
Is your cockpit self draining?
Maybe consider spreader-mounted deck lights for easier foredeck work at night. Granny bars probably a bit overkill for the size of boat?

Not yet figured the best way to rig for the trade winds.... I had considered twin poled out headsails. But that requires foredeck work, which in my little boat i would like to avoid.

Cockpit is self draining with a new 1 1/2 inch seacock.

I have a deck light on the mast, although as its usually only me on board, if I have to go forward I use a head torch. But good idea, I shall think about that.

Thanks for the suggestions and provoking my thinking.

Sharky34

Visit site
An example of wots done, not dreaming:

My wife and I have completed two Atlantic circuits on our 1977 Moody 33. All we added was a hydrovane before the second go. Reckon you can find one in your price range and easy to single hand.

If you do what we did, you will resist the normal advice to load it down with tons of stuff you dont actually need. (y)

We went simple, cheap and had a blast knowing we were never that far away from victuals and spares.

Up to you, but I hope you find the right boat and enjoy it as much as we did!! :cool:
Wonder how many on here have actually done transatlantic in a smallish yacht.

Sharky34

Visit site
An example of wots done, not dreaming:

My wife and I have completed two Atlantic circuits on our 1977 Moody 33. All we added was a hydrovane before the second go. Reckon you can find one in your price range and easy to single hand.

If you do what we did, you will resist the normal advice to load it down with tons of stuff you dont actually need. (y)

We went simple, cheap and had a blast knowing we were never that far away from victuals and spares.

Up to you, but I hope you find the right boat and enjoy it as much as we did!! :cool:
A mate had a Moody 33, called Overide, sailed many a time across channel on it, last heard of heading down Spain direction.

Sharky34

Visit site
What is considered a smallish yacht these days?
When I started boating 25 years ago, 36' was considered a good size boat.
If you look at this years ARC entry list, there's hardly anything smaller than 44'.
When I started, everyone aspired to a 25' yacht & I well remember going into one at Earls Court, which had a seperate heads compartment on a 21 or 23 footer.
Luxury indeed.
Yachts like a Silhouette & Caprice were considered channel crosser's.

gertha

Visit site
I remember Earls Court
I remember looking at 22 foot boats.
Can not remember taking any interest in the toilets.
I do remember the pool and some of the girls modelling and dancing.

We had a Silhouette, it was hardly capable of crossing the Deben., It did have a trailor so probably could have managed the North Sea on Townsend Toresen.

Simon