Best (cheap) boat for single handed Atlantic circuit?

PhillM

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I was (am) thinking about my current boat. Apart from being old and wooden she is pretty much up together. She is basic and simple and i know her inside out (I'v done 2 refits). I can manage about a week between battery charges assuming a few hours each do for the solar to top up and enough fuel to run the engine to charge the batteries for about a month (without needing Jerry cans). She even has a new Seafeather wind vane.

BUT she was built in 1961 from Mahogany. Keel bolts last done in the 90's. I suppose I could get a hull survey when I pull her out this summer and see what that tells me.

RupertW

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I was (am) thinking about my current boat. Apart from being old and wooden she is pretty much up together. She is basic and simple and i know her inside out (I'v done 2 refits). I can manage about a week between battery charges assuming a few hours each do for the solar to top up and enough fuel to run the engine to charge the batteries for about a month (without needing Jerry cans). She even has a new Seafeather wind vane.

BUT she was built in 1961 from Mahogany. Keel bolts last done in the 90's. I suppose I could get a hull survey when I pull her out this summer and see what that tells me.
If your boat is proved up to it by the survey then imagine how wonderful you will feel steering your classic boat into Nelson’s dockyard, or rowing to a rum bar from anchorage in the Grenadines. That’s surely got to be your number one choice.

Sandy

Visit site

Personally, I'd go with that. May see you out there on my way down to the Azores if things open up again.

steveeasy

Visit site
If you look around and a little patient your find a good Twister for under £10,000. recently a very good example with a substantial new inventory including new sails and engine sold for £6,000. Again a simple Haslar wind vane steering gear can be found for sale for £400. Like a 60s sprite caravan inside, but good headroom and very practical.

Steveeasy

Pete7

Visit site

langstonelayabout

Visit site
Go back to work & build a bigger fund first

Its events like this virus going about at the moment that really make you think 'I should go now, later might never happen'.

Seriously, some of us never get that 50'er everyone would like, nor the 5 years off to sail it whilst in our 30's.

The lesson for us all does seem to be make the most of what we have, and be braver when it comes to the 'first/big step'.

PhillM

Visit site
Its events like this virus going about at the moment that really make you think 'I should go now, later might never happen'.

Seriously, some of us never get that 50'er everyone would like, nor the 5 years off to sail it whilst in our 30's.

The lesson for us all does seem to be make the most of what we have, and be braver when it comes to the 'first/big step'.

Yep, SWIMBO didn't make 50. I am about to be 54. The money and opportunity will exit next year. I don't want to overspend and jeopardise having a home for when I get back, but by the same, I do want to do this sensibly. Hence, the consideration of a more modern GRP boat than my lovely but old classic.

Kelpie

Visit site
I agree with the sentiment about buying the boat that is best condition, not fixating on a particular model.

When we were boat shopping last year, I did the nerdy thing and drew up a spreadsheet for each boat on the shortlist. Factored in things what gear was included, age of rigging/sails/engine, asking price, and any outstanding defects to come to an actual 'value' for each boat. Some are not the bargain they appear once you write it all down (one with knackered teak deck springs to mind).

However one thing we learned from all of this was that you should be wary of attaching too much value to items of equipment already with the boat. E.g. is the tender really the one you would have chosen yourself? How old is that big deep cycle battery bank? For us it worked out better to buy a good clean specimen and then choose what bluewater gear to add ourselves.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
I agree with the sentiment about buying the boat that is best condition, not fixating on a particular model.

When we were boat shopping last year, I did the nerdy thing and drew up a spreadsheet for each boat on the shortlist. Factored in things what gear was included, age of rigging/sails/engine, asking price, and any outstanding defects to come to an actual 'value' for each boat. Some are not the bargain they appear once you write it all down (one with knackered teak deck springs to mind).

A lot of good sense here. I too did the spreadsheet thing.
When I was looking for a 'new' boat, I did cast a very wide net.
The two fixed parameters were size and budget.
Then I listed my must haves and nice to haves.
In the end, 15 different boats/models passed the review.
The one I settled on in the end is by no means perfect, but evey boat is a compromise to a certain extent.
And I think she's a good boat.
Fingers crossed for the survey.

Kelpie

Visit site
The best thing about the spreadsheet was that you could arrive at your own offer price for each boat- not worth buying unless I get it for £X.

One boat we saw was right at the top of our budget but appeared to be a sail-away bluewater boat. It was amazing to see her in the flesh and realise that she needed a new saildrive, repaint, re-coppercoated, and that the big battery bank was already five years old so would be seven when we came to start cruising. Then little things like the quite expensive tender was not suitable for us, and suddenly you're about £10k adrift of where you really need to be.

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
The best thing about the spreadsheet was that you could arrive at your own offer price for each boat- not worth buying unless I get it for £X.

A spreadsheet is the only way to compare one boat's value with another. Otherwisw how can you compare one with a new mainsail but old engine and a rocna against newer engine, rerigged and a Plastimo plough? But be hard nosed with your depreciation of included equipment - the rig has zero value after 10 years, electronics is 3 years, engine is 15 years, Liferaft is 5, sails 12, etc. And stuff you don't want is pretty much worthless (ebay excepted but minus effort to sell it).

On a boat you hope to sail away for £20000, you should pretty much only consider boats were its total value is in the equipment, even after depreciation. The 'structure' of the boat should come free.

The only word of caution is be flexible when considering alternatives to your 'dream' specification. You might want an Avon dinghy with airdeck and 6hp, but if it comes with an immaculate old Redcrest, wooden floor and Seagull - well . . .that did us proud!

Stemar

Visit site
With my pessimistic and, perhaps, unfeeling hat on, if I were shopping for a boat now, I'd wait until CV is over and things start to return to normal. Leaving aside the fact that shopping for a boat isn't essential travel, nor is travel to work it once you've got it, It seems to me that the demographic that owns boats suitable for blue water sailing is the same demographic as is vulnerable to the virus. I have a nasty feeling that there will be a fair few executor's sales round about the time you'll be in a position to go shopping.

geem

Visit site
I have a friend (more of an acquaintance really) that has crossed the Atlantic twice, both times single handed. First time was in an 18ft Caprice, second time he rowed across.

With a limited budget, I’ve often read that the best boat is “the one you already have”

Planning and preparation is at least as important as the vessel.
I know your friend. I used to live next door but one to him in Macclesfield ?
Many years ago, I worked with someone who'd done a circuit on a GK29.
I'm with MotorSailor on this, you need to find a boat which is in VGC and very well equipped.
A year's voyages will be a lot of wear and tear, sails which are 'OK' for several years of coastal use will be severely tested.
Along with every other wearing part.

I think if I wanted to do a year's circuit on a 20k budget, I'd be talking to other people, bung someone a few quid and free labour to get their boat ready, crew across and buy a cheap boat on the other side. Maybe bring it back, maybe not!

Sybarite

Visit site
So, I was all ready to sign up for Clipper 2021, before it was postponed. Year off work is agreed. Depart June 2021 and have to be back at work in September 2022. So back to my original plan of longer distance single handed. Have decided that while I love my 1961 wooden boat, she probably isn't up to an Atlantic circuit (see previous thread for ideas of destinations).

Total budget for boat inc prep for the trip to be about £20K. What would you recommend?
Kirie Feeling 920, Voilier Quillard occasion à la vente (Hérault) | N°220686

Or; a medium displacement Dufour 3800
Dufour 3800 - Google Search

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
From my experience. Rival 32:

Pros:
very comfortable in big seas
easy to set up a balanced rig
under 10m so cheap in marinas
easy to sail solo and close quarters and with spinnaker
solid

Cons:
cockpit can be uncomfortable
slow upwind
not good in short, choppy seas
old fashioned/not the most comfortable layout below decks but OK
reverses how she feels; need plan, plan B and plan C!!!

Had to sell Safe Arrival for funding issues but bought present one a few years later - was supposed to be off to the Baltic in two weeks

1937rogerdon

Visit site

YOU COULD GET A FIBRE GLASS VERTUE 11 for around £20k.