Best (cheap) boat for single handed Atlantic circuit?

PhillM

Visit site
So, I was all ready to sign up for Clipper 2021, before it was postponed. Year off work is agreed. Depart June 2021 and have to be back at work in September 2022. So back to my original plan of longer distance single handed. Have decided that while I love my 1961 wooden boat, she probably isn't up to an Atlantic circuit (see previous thread for ideas of destinations).

Total budget for boat inc prep for the trip to be about £20K. What would you recommend?

Skylark

Visit site
I have a friend (more of an acquaintance really) that has crossed the Atlantic twice, both times single handed. First time was in an 18ft Caprice, second time he rowed across.

With a limited budget, I’ve often read that the best boat is “the one you already have”

Planning and preparation is at least as important as the vessel.

Tradewinds

Visit site
Halmatic 30.

A perfectly capable ocean passagemaker. If you've got access to OCC Flying Fish magazines look up Maurice Sumner's articles (c mid-late 1990s) on his yacht Christobel of Hamble. We did many passages as buddy boats.

steveeasy

Visit site
I suspect you want a solid seaworthy boat, heavy displacement with a good SDR. simple in design, easy tto manage single hand at sea and in close quarters. good simple navigation equipment. With a limited budget id look for an older boat but one that fits all the above with a relatively low purchase price. this will allow you to upgrade specific items such as a good sprayhood. electronics. running and standing rigging if needed. Hopefully it will come with good sails and or a good engine.
I looked for a new boat last year and found a 33ft westerly discuss. I soon realised it was too big to single hand and maintain, far too much room for one, and what I had was ideal for everything I need. Id recommend an all GRP Twister 28. I suspect there are several similar designs that would suite the requirements. the one with the best engine, sails and price will be the ideal boat. then go from there.

Steveeasy

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
If you want to sail away in a boat that is £20,000 all up, including getting her ready and outfitting her, then you need to stop worrying about particular models of boats, and start looking for something that is pretty much ready to go.

You have just missed a Van de Stadt 29 with a new engine, recent mast, new Aries self steering gear, adequate electronics, liferaft, new meths stove. It went for £11000.
But it needed new rigging, lifelines, probably a mainsail, heavy weather jib, Epirb, charts and books. Would still have run you perilously close to £20,000 as you set sail.

Bits for boats cost money - if your favourite design needs a lot of bits, it needs to be just about free. If it needs a lot of work, you'll never leave.

You need to be scouring everywhere for anything from a Sadler 25 or Contessa 26 upwards.

Two minutes search and this came up on Yachtnet: Vancouver 27
Obviously the teak deck is an issue, but it has 'in date' rigging, some useful bits, plus £2500 for a secondhand good condition Monitor self steering gear (incluing fitting), and you're getting there. Strip the deck and fill the holes when you get to Trinidad.

Poignard

Visit site
So, I was all ready to sign up for Clipper 2021, before it was postponed. Year off work is agreed. Depart June 2021 and have to be back at work in September 2022. So back to my original plan of longer distance single handed. Have decided that while I love my 1961 wooden boat, she probably isn't up to an Atlantic circuit (see previous thread for ideas of destinations).

Total budget for boat inc prep for the trip to be about £20K. What would you recommend?
A Twister, of course!

Within your price range and plenty left to fit her out and stock up with Fray Bentos pies (if you can get them!)

RupertW

Visit site
I would go for something like this.
Beneteau First 30 for sale UK, Beneteau boats for sale, Beneteau used boat sales, Beneteau Sailing Yachts For Sale 1979 Beneteau First 30 - Apollo Duck

Will handle well on the Atlantic circuit and a tough, non extreme, but still fun to sail or solid progress when you want to reef right down. Just get a decent fridge, Bimini and solar on it, and whatever your preferred style of self-steering.

Not as dark or slow as a heavier boat and much more pleasant to live aboard in warm weather. If you ever see a First 30E variant it’s another whole class up in both comfort and heavy weather performance (as I know from a couple of dodgy Biscay crossings).
Beneteau First 30 E for sale Ireland, Beneteau boats for sale, Beneteau used boat sales, Beneteau Sailing Yachts For Sale 1985 Beneteau FIRST 30E - Apollo Duck

Last edited:

spottydog

www.Eastern-Telephones.co.uk
Last edited:

lw395

Visit site
Many years ago, I worked with someone who'd done a circuit on a GK29.
I'm with MotorSailor on this, you need to find a boat which is in VGC and very well equipped.
A year's voyages will be a lot of wear and tear, sails which are 'OK' for several years of coastal use will be severely tested.
Along with every other wearing part.

I think if I wanted to do a year's circuit on a 20k budget, I'd be talking to other people, bung someone a few quid and free labour to get their boat ready, crew across and buy a cheap boat on the other side. Maybe bring it back, maybe not!

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
An example of wots done, not dreaming:

My wife and I have completed two Atlantic circuits on our 1977 Moody 33. All we added was a hydrovane before the second go. Reckon you can find one in your price range and easy to single hand.

If you do what we did, you will resist the normal advice to load it down with tons of stuff you dont actually need. (y)

We went simple, cheap and had a blast knowing we were never that far away from victuals and spares.

Up to you, but I hope you find the right boat and enjoy it as much as we did!! :cool: