Best books to prepare you for long term cruising?

Bajansailor

Visit site
If you have kids I recommend Jaja and David Martin, In to the Light. They also produced a really good video called 'Ice Blink'

Here is a link to a good article by Dave and Jaja -
https://www.goodoldboat.com/pdfs/JF05MartinDream.pdf

I have another article from Good Old Boat about them, but it is a PDF (I cannot now find a link online) - and the Forum does not seem to accept PDF's as attachments. :(
But if anybody would like a copy, send me a note with an email address, and I will send it on.

They are now living ashore, but their daughter is now sailing to far horizons in her own wee 26' Grinde -
Maiden Voyage

John Rodriguez (who posts on here as 'Jonic') and his wife have written a cruising book called 'Sail Away' -
Sail Away: How to escape the rat race and live the dream (Skipper's Library Book 2) eBook: Rodriguez, Nicola: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Google Nigel Caulder books
Nigel Calder . . .
calderbook.jpg
Amongst many others - follow link - including 'Shakedown Cruise' . . . .
" . . . Long before he was one of America's leading yachting writers, Nigel Calder was a novice cruiser with ambitions grander than his experience. Nigel and his partner Terrie were young and foolish, with a home-built boat that was new and untested, one child already and another on the way - but they were determined to complete an adventurous 18-month voyage from New Orleans to Venezuela and back. It was the voyage that made Calder the yachtsman he is today, a marvellous romp through the West Indies, seeing an unspoilt Caribbean, while learning hard-won lessons from direct experience - troubleshooting engines, kedging off shoals and reefs, and most importantly navigating Nada, a yacht that quickly became very much part of the burgeoning Calder family too. An adventure story and a colourful travelogue in one, Shakedown Cruise is a must-read for all who are curious about what it takes to become a cruising sailor or create an adventurous life, as well as those who are just looking to sail along with Nigel and his family. . . . "

AndrewB

Visit site
John Rodriguez (who posts on here as 'Jonic') and his wife have written a cruising book called 'Sail Away' -
Sail Away: How to escape the rat race and live the dream (Skipper's Library Book 2) eBook: Rodriguez, Nicola: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store
I've just read this one. Its really good at the inspirational and planning stages of a long-distance sailing, Somewhat at the expense of the day-to-day practicalities, where the old fashioned books excelled (Hiscocks, Hammick, Pack et al), but are now far too out of date.

It is very much focussed on cruising with children, though older couples make up the majority of long-term cruisers. A bit over-enthusiastically so in my view. From what I saw of others experience, sailing with children was far more fraught than sailing as a couple, and on balance, not good for the children themselves. I became glad I hadn't succumbed to the temptation of taking my own children away when I was younger, though they were enthusiastic sailors on short holidays.

This book is among the best available, but compared with what was published 25 or 30 years ago, there seems a dearth of up-to-date good books on long-term sailing. I wonder why?

Last edited:

lustyd

Visit site
I think the answer depends on who you are, and to an extent how old. It's clear that the good books are all out of date based on this thread. There's a reason for that, and it's because books are pretty old fashioned, and writing a book doesn't pay the bills in 2020. It follows then, that if the old books don't reflect the way people cruise these days that those ividuals who would have previously written a book in the old days did something else these days. The answer for the young is YouTube, and although this thread shows that old people will tell you that's not how it's done, that is, in fact, showing young people how young people cruise. Just because some people don't understand it, doesn't mean it's not how they do it. Yes, they'll use Patreon, but old authors also begged for money and fame - am I the only one here to have met Tom Cunliffe on a book stand at a boat show? If he was starting now you can bet he'd have a Patreon account! I'm sure there are a bunch of obsolete millenial blogs detailing the period between book and YouTube too, the format changes but the methods don't (I tell you a story you give me moneys!).
So back to the OP - if you want to sit by a wood burner on a wooden boat buy the classic books and read them on paper. If you want to self fund before making your fortune in the world watch some YouTube. Whatever you do though, try to ignore the bitterness on forums. Flying a drone isn't hard, and Patreon is the new book sales, the important thing is that you're doing it from your boat somewhere that you can't describe as "home port".

Bajansailor

Visit site
If Holly Martin (daughter of Dave and Jaja, mentioned above) doesn't inspire every young sailor who wants to go off on sailing adventures, I don't know what will.
Like Leo and Tally Ho, she also has a well subscribed You Tube channel - and she posts excellent videos.
Here is her first -

And Leo with Tally Ho - he posted his first video with Tally Ho 3 years ago, and it has been viewed over 500,000 times now.