Best books to prepare you for long term cruising?

TravisT

Visit site
Can anyone recommend their favorite books to prepare you for full time cruising? Anything that motivates, prepares or informs you about everything the lifestyle involves, please. Much appreciated!

Tradewinds

Visit site
Travellers on a Trade Wind. Marcia Pirie.

Travellers on a Trade Wind: Amazon.co.uk: Pirie, Marcia: 9780850364712: Books

From a different era (mine) but a nice insight to what it was like.

Otherwise, just read some of the 1000s of blogs that are out online nowadays. It's a different world now and I'm glad that my 'great adventure' happened back when it did (ie before the internet took over).

Yngmar

Visit site
Stress-free Sailing so you can leave and enter the marina without having anxiety attacks. Heavy Weather Sailing, to make you wonder if you really want to do this stuff (and some useful advice that may be retained for when you inevitably end up in some). Boat Owner's Electrical and Mechanical manual, because that's what you'll mostly be doing. Sail and Rig tuning, although perhaps that one is best read under sail. A book on Diesel engines. A book on anchoring like an adult, but do not ask here which one that is!

Oh, and all of Steve Dashew's free books, there's a lot of accumulated wisdom in there: SetSail FPB » Free Books

Don't bother watching Youtube - they'll all tell you they'll be showing you how the cruising life really is and then they do the exact opposite :p

GHA

Visit site
Looks good but I suppose the photos and diagrams won't reproduce well on a Kindle
Fine on a laptop. Or tablet.
"Creative Anchoring" &,"Storm Proofing your Boat, Gear and Crew" & "Cruising Boat Basics: Hints, Tips, and Tricks for a Fabulous Life Afloat " are also must haves onboard a full on cruising boat imho. Very pragmatic with an eye to the real world and budget. :cool:

newtothis

Visit site
Can anyone recommend their favorite books to prepare you for full time cruising? Anything that motivates, prepares or informs you about everything the lifestyle involves, please. Much appreciated!
If youtube sailing videos are anything to go by, you need:
How to look young and attractive - Ten Years Younger In A Weekend (Beauty And Fashion Secrets To Look Younger Naturally Book 1) - Kindle edition by Small, Jan. Health, Fitness & Dieting Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
How to fly a drone - The Drone Pilot's Handbook: Amazon.co.uk: Adam Juniper: 9781781572986: Books
How to edit video in a confined space while pretending you're living the cruising life - Making YouTube Videos: Star in Your Own Video! Dummies Junior: Amazon.co.uk: Willoughby, Nick, Eagle, Will, Morris, Tee: Books
and
How to beg for donations from Patreon to fund your lifestyle - The Panhandling Bible: Make $100, 000 a Year as a Beggar!: Fingers, Sticky: 9781541353893: Amazon.com: Books

michael_w

Visit site
Before SWMBO and I headed off for an Atlantic circuit in 2003 I found Geoff Pack's Blue Water Countdown and Anne Hammick's Ocean cruising on a budget useful. Both a bit outdated now, but the basics are still there.

Stingo

Visit site
Scrap yard is your friend
I have an idea. It may work, but as usual other types of anchor may be more suitable:
Take two CQRs, lay them head-to-toe. Balance your BBQ grill on top. Set fire to the carefully placed (and dried) driftwood. Once the flames have died down, place a dozen freshly caught Caribbean lobsters on the grill. Take a sip of your beer.
Thank me later.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I have an idea. It may work, but as usual other types of anchor may be more suitable:
Take two CQRs, lay them head-to-toe. Balance your BBQ grill on top. Set fire to the carefully placed (and dried) driftwood. Once the flames have died down, place a dozen freshly caught Caribbean lobsters on the grill. Take a sip of your beer.
Thank me later.
I can't comment as according to one person liveaboard/cruisers have no idea what they talking about when it come to anchors and anchoring .
Cruisers living full time on the hook for years on end have no experience.
Can anyone recommend a book on anchoring . :)

Gerry

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com
Lynne and Larry Pardey- dated but full of commonsense and tips that are still valuable today. The Hiscocks dated again but fascinating. Miles and Beryl Smeeton had some amazing adventures. More up to date I value Fatty Goodlanders contributions. If you have kids I recommend Jaja and David Martin, In to the Light. They also produced a really good video called 'Ice Blink'