Best ~38 sailboat

Paul_S123

Visit site
Just sold my Fairline Phantom 50 and wanting to get back into sailing. Looking for 37-40 sailboat 100-150k.....and quite underwhelmed by the choice. It will ultimately end up in Spain...so have the vat minefield to tread too, but what are the recommendations and some good sites to look on.

Kelpie

Visit site
"Best" depends entirely upon what you want to do with it.
Best for a couple, or for bigger groups?
Best for a fortnight of marina hopping, or spending all summer at anchor?
Best for sailing performance, or for seakindliness?
Best for residual value, ease of maintenance, reliability?
Best looking.... that really is a personal one.

I suspect that most of the boats you are seeing will be the likes of Beneteau, Bavaria, Jeanneau, Hanse, Elan, Dufour etc etc. Primarily aimed at the charter market and packed full of spacious cabins with double berths. Swim platforms for stern-to mooring. Twin rudders due to width, and a sail drive. Likely to have an in-mast furling mainsail.
Is there is anything in particular about this style of boat that you don't like?

Paul_S123

Visit site
Keep in med, mainly as a day sailor with occasional overnights. Not looking too hard at performance, probably leaning more towards comfort.

So far I like the Oceanis 38.1.

Skylark

Visit site
Given your requirements, sailing aspirations and intended use, any of the typical boats in the 37 to 40 foot range mentioned by Kelpie will fit the bill.

I suggest that you take a look at few models until you find the one that speaks to you and your family.

So far I like the Oceanis 38.1.

A fine vessel. It’s design brief was written around your stated needs. Other vessels are available.

With similar requirements to yours, I bought a new Oceanis 41 in 2013 and never regretted it.

Skylark

Visit site
I am looking at a couple of 41's too. There's a lovely one for sale in Majorca...but it has 1,500 hours, which is rightly or wrongly a bit off-putting. Probably suggests it may have been a charter boat.

It certainly looks nice in the pictures but I think that 1,500 hours on a 2017 boat would, rightly or wrongly, put me off, too.

By comparison, mine is 2013 and has 295 hours on the clock.

There are a lot of boats competing for this market sweet spot but I don’t think that you would regret buying this model. Others may have a different, equally valid, opinion.

Bajansailor

Visit site
I am looking at a couple of 41's too. There's a lovely one for sale in Majorca...but it has 1,500 hours, which is rightly or wrongly a bit off-putting. Probably suggests it may have been a charter boat.

https://azulyachts.com/en/brokerage/pdf/372/oceanis-41

I wouldn't be deterred by 'only' 1,500 hours on the engine - it is most probably a Yanmar 4JH and I have seen quite a few of these engines that have easily reached 5,000+ hours of use, and are still going strong.
Overall condition is much more important - she might have been a charter boat, but this can also imply that she has been well looked after over the past 4 years.

pvb

Visit site

https://azulyachts.com/en/brokerage/pdf/372/oceanis-41

The photos of the inside suggest it's been well looked after, so maybe not a charter boat. The price was reduced about 3 weeks ago, so it may be what's known as a "motivated seller"!

Skylark

Visit site
I wouldn't be deterred by 'only' 1,500 hours on the engine - it is most probably a Yanmar 4JH and I have seen quite a few of these engines that have easily reached 5,000+ hours of use, and are still going strong.
Overall condition is much more important - she might have been a charter boat, but this can also imply that she has been well looked after over the past 4 years.
The 41 has a 3JH5E engine.

Dino

Visit site
Engine condition/hours isn’t as big an issue on yachts when compared to the huge cost of twin diesels on a Fairline 50. I wouldn’t let it rule your decision.
if it’s only for the occasional overnight and mainly daysailing, why not look at something that is more of a sailing boat. Something where you will have a more rewarding sail. Maybe with a furling spinnaker
This is nice Grand Soleil 37 for sale Spain, Grand Soleil boats for sale, Grand Soleil used boat sales, Grand Soleil Sailing Yachts For Sale 2005 Grand Soleil 37 - Apollo Duck
Or a nice X-Yacht

geem

Visit site
Crikey! 18 posts in and the old guard haven’t been in to tell OP he needs a 50 year old long keel narrowboat. Their “boat choice” thread alert system must be in need of a service.
The OP has explained the intended use. An AWB fits the bill perfectly?