Best 100W flexible solar panel

Kelpie

Visit site
Yes, old panels in the old days used to have issues and people keep moaning about those issues with older panels despite it being a solved problem. ETFE panels do not suffer those issues and were specifically developed to prevent them. I have seen zero reports of ETFE panels suffering those problems, if you have other information you'll need to show specific panels with those issues and confirm they are ETFE. If not, stop moaning!
Interesting, thanks. I was put off flexis by the cost, the fact that you couldn't actually flex them reliably, the short lifespan due to delamination, and the single incident I heard of a damaged panel suffering a short which sent the sunbrella underneath up in flames.

Clearly the technology has moved on though to address at least some of these issues.

dune16

www.noforeignland.com
I'm planning to go with 2 x renogy 175w panels on our Bimini. Backed with some additional plastic sheet. I want them easily removable as we will only use them at anchor. Thinking just using bungee cord attached to the Bimini tubes. Anyone see any issues with this? Thanks

catlotion

Visit site
I've got a Renogy 100w on my cockpit enclosure. It works really well and I've just got it secured with bungee cord to some eyelets I had added.

However, I'm a bit concerned about wear on the fabric - since this photo I've added some pipe insulation on the ends to prevent wear but I'm planning to tweak it to maybe mount a plastic pipe between the two eyelets which it mounts to (to raise it up a bit). Or maybe use static lines rather than bungee so it's held under tension...

When I take the cockpit tent down I just unhook the bungees and move the panel forward to the sprayhood where it fits neatly too.

Btw, this panel is complimented by a 160w Renogy solid panel. Both connected to a Victron Smart Solar MPPT controller (alongside a Victron SmartShunt). Pretty pleased all round with the setup but the solid Renogy panel arrived damaged and could never get them to collect it (they did eventually send a replacement).

Attachments

• Solar.jpg
    Solar.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Caladh

Visit site
I've got a Renogy 100w on my cockpit enclosure. It works really well and I've just got it secured with bungee cord to some eyelets I had added.

However, I'm a bit concerned about wear on the fabric - since this photo I've added some pipe insulation on the ends to prevent wear but I'm planning to tweak it to maybe mount a plastic pipe between the two eyelets which it mounts to (to raise it up a bit). Or maybe use static lines rather than bungee so it's held under tension...

When I take the cockpit tent down I just unhook the bungees and move the panel forward to the sprayhood where it fits neatly too.

Btw, this panel is complimented by a 160w Renogy solid panel. Both connected to a Victron Smart Solar MPPT controller (alongside a Victron SmartShunt). Pretty pleased all round with the setup but the solid Renogy panel arrived damaged and could never get them to collect it (they did eventually send a replacement).
I'm quite interested in your setup as I alsready have a static solar panel and a Victron MPPT controller. Can you tell me how you connect/disconnect the panel to the Victron or is it wired in permanaently ? I'm thinking i would disconnect it and store it down below when not is use.

lustyd

Visit site
My setup uses an Anderson plug in a cockpit locker and from there an extension lead to the panels using normal solar connectors. I have different length extension leads so I can place the panels anywhere on deck.

catlotion

Visit site
I'm quite interested in your setup as I alsready have a static solar panel and a Victron MPPT controller. Can you tell me how you connect/disconnect the panel to the Victron or is it wired in permanaently ? I'm thinking i would disconnect it and store it down below when not is use.

I don't actually disconnect anything when I move the flexible panel. Maybe it's safe to assume it'll be ok just to unplug the mc4 connectors though?

The panels are connected via a Y connector and I've got a single breaker near the controller. Could run separate cables for each panel and have a breaker for each...?

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Definitely get ETFE panels, they don't suffer from early problems, some are really flexible and some are only slightly flexible and need fastening down to a slightly curved surface, but can we walked on(not with hob nailed boots!) Try Photonic Universe.