Berthing options in North Devon

fluffc

Visit site
What are the options for permanent moorings, alongside / swinging in North Devon. Boat is a 32' Gaff Cutter, quite heavy at approx 11T, so any swinging mooring would have to be fairly substantial. Is there any mud berths around?

Peterduck

Visit site
Your best option would clearly be the estuary of the Taw. I would imagine that the harbourmaster would be located somewhere in Barnstaple. I visited the North Devon Yacht Club at Instow in 2000, and some of their members had swing moorings over a sand bottom.
Peter.

G

Clearly your best option would NOT be the Taw! The Torridge at Bideford would be a much better option. If you contact me off list on smiffy@onetel.com I will give you my phone number, and we can have a chat?

I live in Bideford and I have a couple of moorings on the Torridge, might be able to arrange a wallside mooring, there isn't any really deep soft mud, but heavy boats will dig themselves a hole over time.

Best, Charlie.

G

and both very expensive! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

fisherman

Visit site
There's some biggish boats in Porlock Weir, but it does seem rather open to the elements: don't think the elements there are quite the same elements we get here.

G

Interestingly, Mr or Mrs Fluffc, posted this request for information 8 days ago, but has not since bothered to respond to any of the replies??

Make ya wonder why some folks bother dunnit? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

G

Does ya not?? best have a look at the Brizzel channel pilot then, Porlock Wier is not somewhere I would want to keep any boat of mine.

fisherman

Visit site
Wonder how they manage. The gates are for keeping water in, not weather out. Boats, including a 30ft bilge keel and a fifty foot scottish mfv (not going anywhere) there two weeks ago.

G

How do they manage, very carefully, is how! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif It's actually a nice little harbour, but almost impossible to enter at night, without a great deal of local knowledge, and it is definately not somewhere to run to in the event of an onshore blow.

Last time I was there, the gates were knackered, have they fixed 'em yet?

G

Well there is quite a bit more info that I could impart to you, but I wont on an open forum. If you are serious about having a mooring in N.Devon, PM me and we can take it from there?

If you are just fishing though, leave as is.

new2boating2020

Visit site
hi all,

i know this forum feed was a while back, but what is the mooring situation through bideford/appledore/instow? Is there someone who can lay moorings and is there a yearly cost to keep a boat down there? ive heard mixed answers about moorings so if anyone has any information please comment or contact me.

Star-Lord

Visit site
What are the options for permanent moorings, alongside / swinging in North Devon. Boat is a 32' Gaff Cutter, quite heavy at approx 11T, so any swinging mooring would have to be fairly substantial. Is there any mud berths around?
Hey flufc, do you happen to know Edge and Becky from your part of the world? Edge told me a few epic stories of sailing to Lundy without really knowing how to sail!