Beneteau frist 211

wanzap1

Visit site
As I am sure many people are, in lock-down I am dreaming / planning a later summer / early Autumn charter holiday (hopefully the situation will have changed by then).

One options is a Beneteau first 211 in Croatia - attractive as its cheap to charter, cheaper marina fees, and lifting keel should open-up more anchorages and bays to explore.

The negative is of course the lack of living accommodation. Therefore I am planning the holiday based on hotel / Airbnb every third day or so (total during to be 2 or 3 weeks)

Anyone any experience of this boat - my main concerns are, how suitable it is to explore the islands, particular something further off-shore like Hvar? How compromised is the cabin for two sharing (married)?

Many thanks

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
I do have experience of Croatia as my boat is there. There's not much creek crawling to be had and a shallow draft will get you closer inshore but not much else. Bays, coves and islands are everywhere in abundance, and almost all are suitable for your average AWB with 2m draft.

There are a myriad of small craft which visit the islands, but they are mostly power-boats so can flee if the forecast is bad.

It can blow up so a First 211 might be a bit uncomfortable compared to something 30-40ft - and if you have a deadline to get to Airbnbs then you may be pushed to move when you don't want to or when the weather/wind direction is not ideal. I've always found that arranging land-based pick-ups or drop-offs mean you are constantly trying to keep to a schedule rather than just being free to explore.

That's not to say you can't do it in a boat that size - many do - but you may find that for the cost of the Airbnbs you could get something a bit bigger that you can stay on board for the duration and truly enjoy the freedom of exploring the islands.

Just my opinion.

wanzap1

Visit site
I do have experience of Croatia as my boat is there. There's not much creek crawling to be had and a shallow draft will get you closer inshore but not much else. Bays, coves and islands are everywhere in abundance, and almost all are suitable for your average AWB with 2m draft.

There are a myriad of small craft which visit the islands, but they are mostly power-boats so can flee if the forecast is bad.

It can blow up so a First 211 might be a bit uncomfortable compared to something 30-40ft - and if you have a deadline to get to Airbnbs then you may be pushed to move when you don't want to or when the weather/wind direction is not ideal. I've always found that arranging land-based pick-ups or drop-offs mean you are constantly trying to keep to a schedule rather than just being free to explore.

That's not to say you can't do it in a boat that size - many do - but you may find that for the cost of the Airbnbs you could get something a bit bigger that you can stay on board for the duration and truly enjoy the freedom of exploring the islands.

Just my opinion.

A very useful view / opinion - your input is much appreciated. Thanks

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
I have sailed 211s when I was a member of (the sadly missed) Glenans Irish Sailing Club. They are a sprightly, easily handled vessel for a small or 2-up crew. Auxiliary power is provided by an outboard,as they were not fitted with an inboard engine. The lifting keel is useful for getting close inshore and using shallow anchorages. In tidal waters it also facilitates drying out, albeit at an angle, or in my case, extracting oneself from the grip of a sandbank:) . The twin rudders provide full control when well heeled, but are not a great help in close quarter manoeuvering and reversing. It is of relatively light displacement and of approximately 21' length, so a weather eye is required. Don't go before the end of May.
I have only used one for day-sailing (live-ashore courses). The ones I sailed on had been stripped of upholstery, cooking and toilet facilities, but when these facilities are present they are spartan, though adequate for a "camping"-type experience. There is only stooping/sitting headroom. With your plan to occasionally use shore-side accommodation I think you would have a very enjoyable holiday in this boat.

PatrickB02

Visit site
I used to have a First 211, and I only ever spent the odd night or two aboard; it was fine for that but I think any longer would get wearing. A lot depends on your height - there is only sitting headroom in the cabin so if you are over 6 feet tall then whilst the bunks (especially the quarter berths) are plenty long enough you will have to bum-shuffle around the cabin. Also remember that there is no heads - I used to carry 2 buckets (one yellow and one black!), but your wife might not be too keen on this arrangement...!

Also, if you are thinking about exploring bays and estuaries then, even with the lift keel, you will likely need a dinghy and storing a deflated dinghy (or towing an inflated one) is problematic on the 211.

I also agree with Baggywrinkle about your plan to use shore-based accommodation; there is nothing more guaranteed to spoil a sailing holiday than a schedule.

On balance, then, I would again agree with Baggywrinkle that you would be better putting the money that you would spend on shore-based accommodation towards chartering a bigger boat.

Beautiful area to sail, though, and the swimming and snorkelling are fantastic!

wanzap1

Visit site
Yes, some real food for thought there - I must explore some larger boats.

I suppose I must add that the plan was going to be only to book accommodation ad-hoc, using the phone whenever we decided that we needed some. This is how we do most holidays, as we usually don't know where we will be going until we arrive - we dislike itinerary's!

A larger boat seems to offer improved flexibility

Garold

Visit site
I largely agree with the other posters.

I had a 211 and it was great on the Solent. I put it up for sale after a couple of efforts to convince my wife to sail on it with me. It was too ‘tippy’ for her, and the portaloo in the saloon idea was a big no no.

Croatia is almost perfect for sailing but it’s really useful to be self sufficient (ie with Fridge, cooking, shower, toilet etc) because anchoring, town quays, and buoys are all common overnight solutions in the summer. Marinas are all quite expensive in the summer so a slightly larger yacht would would possibly work out cheaper and better.

Shallow draft is rarely a big benefit in Croatia, though plenty of anchor chain often is.

A nice Beneteau Oceanis 31 or similar would probably be a fine solution.

mbroom

Visit site
I’ve got one as my second boat (a 21.7). I single hand it a lot and have sailed from the Solent to the Clyde, as well,as trips from the Clyde to Ireland. I’ve lived on it for 2 weeks at a time. So the boat will do it. However once onboard, there is no room at all especially if you have any bags. So I would not really recommend it for a couple unless you want a divorce, just using the cooker or bog is a major undertaking! Maybe Airbnb and use it as a nice day sailor, or else save up and hire a bigger boat.