Beginings

Suffered other MAJOR problem … Mobo, loss of controls / Yacht, mast etc etc

• Total voters
Visit site
This forum has been kindly created to continue on from the discussions going on in ScutBut. I will repeat the intro given there, for anyone new reading this:
I would like to plan a get together for forum members on Windermere sometime this summer. I was thinking something like a raft up in the north of the lake, where we can get ashore for a BBQ, around about early July. However, all this is firmly cast in jelly, we have all sorts of options date wise, and there’s no reason we couldn’t make the south of the lake, or even hire a room (one of the yacht clubs perhaps). First thing I need to know is who thinks they would be interested in coming, then I can start to get the wheels in motion.. This event will be open to everyone, the moor (inexcusable pun I know) the merrier. Please either post here or PM me if you would like to be involved. Matt

First thing we need to consider i think is what we actually want to do, this is what I came up with, but suggestions welcome:
Take over a beach/area of shore for a BBQ. Probably best if we stick to bringing our own, unless anyone has a big’un they can lend and people just bring their own food. Should definitely share a few puddingy things though. Suggested locations for this include:
National Trust jetties (54°22'41.50"N 2°55'20.38"W)
Thompson Holm
Ray rig
Brockhole (54°24'3.44"N 2°56'43.98"W)
Fell foot park

Also, Do people mind anchoring? Even with a raft I think we will be a bit pushed to all fit on jetties anywhere, and although Im yet to find out how many are coming by dingy, I hope they would be able to lie along side those anchored.
Next thing to sort out of course is a date, but that could be a sticky one, so watch this space.
Reading back through this it all seems a little disorganised, but it will have to do, and im sure the message gets across, After all, you cant spell disorganised without organised!
Yours, Matt

aquaplane

www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk
I like the BBQ idea. Some one is going to have to anchor wherever you pick, but that's not a great hardship.

I just looked up where your National Trust Jetties are, it's what we call Ray Rig. There would be good for visitors without boats, as there is a car park just across the field. There is the most jetty space there too.

Thompson Holm would be a bit more of an adventure, but poor for folks who are boatless.

I don't know much about the other options.

A bring your own food/drink get's my vote. Maybe some volunteers for pasta salad or savoury rice to share? And puds too.

I'll volunteer my BBQ and a couple of bags of coal, it cooks for 4 easy on one half, using both sides will increase that.

I'm easy on dates.

pendlecats

Visit site
Thanks for kicking this off.

There's nawt like a semi organised BBQ, I have two canvas gazebo tent thingies we could use if you need any shelter.

Like idea of bring own BBQ and main course, happy to volunteer SWMBO's excellent chock, ginger, fruit ext cake if wanted (I'll eat any left overs /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

Date's gen good for me at weekends, but unfortunately mates trailer sail-er can't sail cos he tried and failed to trail the left wheel of said trailer over trailing edge of his garden wall, so need to fix it or we'll go by car. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Andrew

Lakesailor

Visit site
Good start.
I think the date is the most important thing to fix. And quickly.
That will define who can, and cannot make it.

That will affect the accessibility issue. I for instance will have to launch to reach a spot and different places are accessible from different launch sites, at different costs.

Rayrigg Meadows (the one you mentioned) would be very accessible, but in July, at a weekend becomes very congested.

This is April

MillerGround_1.jpg

Other spots are

North Basin

High Wray; 54 23 45.98N 2 57 44.79W A walk frm either High Wray or Wray castle on the West side of the lake. Beach landing and sheltered bay.

Wray Castle Jetty; 54 24 12.88N 2 57 46.74W Partly NT jetty with public access and small wet dock with permission) but does get busy and small ferry calls in.

South Basin

Rawlinson Nab; 54 19 44.95N 2 55 47.95W beach landing on SW of peninsula. Not sure of access from shore. Probably unlikely.

Windermere Motorboat Club; 54 19 56.61N 2 56 10.27W Excellent facilities ample parking accommodation. Lots of jetty space, BUT could be costly.

Beech Hill Hotel; 54 19 18.38N 2 56 30.06W Own private jetties for patrons. Perhaps some kind of deal ? Or moor offshore to the south where there is a public car park and shore access.

Salty John may be able to sort something with Hill of Oaks? Who have caravan site facilities and landings as well as a secluded bay.

I have something else in the North basin that I have enquired about and am awaiting a reply and also a vague possibility of something in the South basin which would depend on the date.

But above all. The date is the important issue.
My guess, having been a B&B proprietor, is that before the school holidays would give more flexibility.

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
I'll ask about Hill of Oaks.
Good facilities but the jetty can get crowded at weekends. I don't know how inclined the owners would be to allowing use of their shoreside facilities at reasonable cost - I'll ask.

pendlecats

Visit site
Agree, I think one or two suggested dates are needed.
I would start but every weekend at the mo is OK, also when it rains on the day I wont get blamed.

So someone fancy suggesting a couple of dates! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As for location It needs one of you local guy's for best place, we had the Folkboat moored at
54 17 27.57N 2 57 23.88W
for several years, the Scouts used to use an area next to the landing. This is not really a suggestion just a bit of reminiscing /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Lakesailor

Visit site
That's the Stock Park landings. I have a friend with a Prelude there at the moment. Can't say the scouts are in evidence there but the West Lancs Scouts have a water centre across the lake at Moor Crag. Not at all likely that could be used, but the local scout troop have a NT jetty at Miller Ground in the North Basin that we can use at a push (I know the Scout Leaders).
Stock Park would be nice, but I don't think that they would be up for it as they are charging £300 per year for dinghy launching .

aquaplane

As an aside, Ashonavega of this parish, and Mrs Ash, will be visiting me and mine on Chiron this W/E 19th to 21st June.

Meat will be cremated Sat evening with sailing about fitted in during daylight.

I'm hopeing to make use of the extra muscle to visit the top of my mast too, we may have a cruising chute to play with on Sunday.

We could have a mini meet to decide what to do and fix some dates for a meet. Anyone interested we can swap moby numbers by PM.

pendlecats

Visit site
A meeting to arrange a meeting, you haven't been in the corporate world too long by any chance /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'd like this to come into being, it's my wedding anni this weekend so can't sneak away.

Visit site
Right time to get things back on track here i think, Lakys right, i have gone a bit quiet. He's also right that the date is the most important thing to consider. I have been procrastinating (admittedly) as i have invited a few people new to YBW to look at the forum and have been waiting to speak to them and see what they think. Im also hampered by the lack of a working gearbox in Solenette, so ill be coming by dingy i think. Been looking at Ray Rig last week and even when not full of boats it seems to have its fair share of road ruffians.
My vote i think is High Wray, pending anything SaltyJohn comes up with.
Aquaplane, your BBQ would be very helpful, and Pendle Cats, could you ask your Swimbo to put the oven on?
Thanks, And fantastic to see so much interest, i think its gona be a good one, Matt

Lakesailor

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Been looking at Ray Rig last week and even when not full of boats it seems to have its fair share of road ruffians.

[/ QUOTE ]The Bangra Boys just about take over down there and it can seem a bit intimidating.
The bay at High Wray used to be very popular with the water skiers. Land access is a bit of a walk, but parking at Wray Castle is good.

Stupidly I forgot about the spot I launch my dinghy when sailing on Windermere, the National Trust shoreline at Harrow Slack (West of Belle Isle).
54°21'24.47"N 2°56'26.93"W

The Windermere Cruising Association use it for a BBQ day http://www.windermere-cruising.org/OPEN4.HTM

Car Parking and grassy banks just near the car ferry. About half a mile of shoreline with road access. Not sure if the NT need to give permission or not.

Harrowbank.jpg

Lakesailor

Visit site
I've just spoken to Sandy at the Windermere Cruising Association and she said they use Harrow Slack quite often for BBQs. OK, some of their members have moorings over that side, but they land by tender, put up a gazebo and have a barbie
They had one last Saturday and (WARNING) the mozzies were biting!

They did have the local plod call by and mention that they aren't supposed to have a beach fire (which they had also lit) but he didn't make them put it out.

They may be there on the 18th, but she wasn't bothered as there is plenty of space.

The car park is pay and display and about £4 I think (free for NT members). If you are launching a boat it's £3 or £2 for canoes.
Usually you leave your trailer with the car at the launch and just pay for the boat. The warden will collect the money if he sees you and can be bothered.

aquaplane

I'm assuming it's a plan, but it's gone quiet again.

It seems we are there every W/E at the moment so it's just a case of BBQing there instead of at the Wardens for us.

Of course meeting up with forumites will be a big bonus.

What about the shared salad and puds?

I'll offer a bowl of pasta tarted up with bits of stuff to go with the cremated offerings to get the ball rolling, and the BBQ too obviously.