Beefing Up

Noddy

Visit site
Polystyrene? Comes in large blocks.

Alternatively the ingenious 2 litre Coke bottles. They are very strong and water/air tight. (I filled my old Wayfarer with them).

lumphammer

Visit site
I thought of blocks or bottles, but I was hoping to get rid of the void altogether so that if I hit something bows on there was nowhere for the water to go.

With blocks and bottles you will not completely fill the space, which will fill with water and possible get into rest of the boat.

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I have a similar space under my forepeak bunks from which I have removed the mattresses. I filled the void with sails - I carry one spare main and two spare furling genoas and a spinnaker under them. Of course I don't think it adds to my buoyancy much, but certainly fills the void.
I do like Noddy's idea of 2 litre bottles. Somewhere else someone has talked about water, and Eric Andlauer has said that he carries all his water in 2 litre bottles as I do. I keep the empty 2 litre bottles to refill at a later stage and store them when empty in the forepeak below my chain locker, and when that is full just toss them well forward.
Don't forget by the time you are carrying tools and spares, food and water you may not have some of the voids that you have currently.

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
Yes I keep the empty bottles as extra flotability reserve. Roger is filling bottles and spreading them in any corner all around the hull.
On an other boat, I'm building, we are using foam to be unsunkable (as Titanic)
The sold product presents like two honney like liquids, When you mix them temperature rize and the foam comes. We poor it as soon as possible and the foam extends in the voids. We only use little quantity (1 or 2 litres of liquids) at a time. You must use closed bubble foam (PVC for example). Don't use Polystiren; with time it turns to sponge.

The more foam you have:
- the less place you have;
- the less stuff you have;
- the less overweight you have !
It's all benefit!
Eric /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

G

[ QUOTE ]
How will you beef up your good self - to cope with questions like 'what is the nature of self ?' and other such intrigues which will no doubt accompany you ?

[/ QUOTE ]

A good topic - perhaps worthy of it's own thread ?

Some people are comfortable with their own company for weeks at a time (for myself, that's the whole point of single-handed sailing ...), and some people are simply not used to it. Those folk who have difficulty being on their own for extended periods or have a need to talk to other people regularly are going to have their own personal challenges to meet - in addition to the usual sailing stuff.

A related topic is that of self-discipline: there will be no-one else on board to give orders, or advice, or to bounce ideas off. It's down to each person to look after themselves - their general welfare: diet, personal cleanliness and so forth, as well as looking after their boat: prioritising the little maintenance and repair jobs that will invariably crop up.

Then there are the unexpected events that will occur. In my view it's important to keep on top of the day-to-day things so that when unforeseen events happen, it's the skipper that's in charge of the boat, and not the other way around ....

[ QUOTE ]

One thing I found was a large unused space under the forecabin bunks. What I would like to do is fill this with some type of foam, not necessarily to make the boat unsinkable, but to stop water getting in if I did run into something.

I have a feeling it would take a large number of cans of gap filler, and I'm not sure if that would be the right stuff anyway. Any suggestions as to what I could use?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok - moving on to the voids and foam issue - do NOT use polystyrene as it will slowly soak up any water that it comes into contact with and become heavy (I didn't believe this either until I tested it). If you must use polystyrene blocks, then wrap 'em well in plastic sheeting and secure all seams with gaffer tape.
One-part can foam (ex B&Q stuff) is awkward to use and very messy. May also soak-up water (?).
2-part closed-cell foam is the best stuff to use, but permanent.

My advice would be to invest in several inspection plates and seal-off each area you're concerned with, then use them for soft-item storage.

Colin

steve126

Visit site
Hello.Just completed a uk -Greece trip in a Invicta.great boat -no problems.Chain plates need more strength,extra mast support between bulkhead and hatch-it will flex in big seas-storm boards to cover saloon windows-perminant lower washboard will keep water out.i fitted 1.5 in cockpit drains,also 1.5 in valve on exaust.Hope this is some help.Steve