Beefing up a Halcyon 27. Your ideas ?

Bajansailor

Visit site
Maybe the rubbing strake was replaced at some stage since the vessel was first built?

Or maybe the bolts covered in fibreglass are the ones holding the hull / deck join together - they were glassed over before the rubbing strake was applied later?

SailorAleksi

Visit site
Hello Bajansailor,
This is close to my guess. Although I contacted yesterday the previous owner with questions about it he couldn't tell me.
Is it possible that the bolt covered in fiberglass are holding the hull deck joints togeither, the new bolts are holding the rubbing strake, and the old bolts are just left in place and hopefully glassed over from the outside beneath the rubbing strake ?
Would be curious to see pictures of other H27 hull to deck joint:)

Bajansailor

Visit site
I am guessing that the bolts securing the hull to deck joint might have been countersunk head, so they would be flush with the hull surface - they might have been glassed over on the outside before the rubbing strake was fitting, but possibly not.

halcyon

Visit site
Hello Bajansailor,
This is close to my guess. Although I contacted yesterday the previous owner with questions about it he couldn't tell me.
Is it possible that the bolt covered in fiberglass are holding the hull deck joints togeither, the new bolts are holding the rubbing strake, and the old bolts are just left in place and hopefully glassed over from the outside beneath the rubbing strake ?
Would be curious to see pictures of other H27 hull to deck joint:)

Will try when down the boat next, the rubbing strakes were lost mid Atlantic in a storm ( previous owner ).

Question, how did you get to stanchion bases inside ? what I can just about see they are also glassed in ? also looking at your picture it's very easy to get to, mine all seam to be in the back of cupboards.

Brian

SailorAleksi

Visit site
Hi all, and thank you for your help.
@halcyon : losing them at sea ?! I don't know what kind of heavy weather can possibly do that but it sounds scary !
As for the stanchions bases, bolts are indeed glassed in. For some I was lucky and it came out easely (scraping from beneath and repairing with epoxy afterward), others not so and required some drilling, cuting and again epoxy repair. Now they all are through bolted with big washers. Next step will be to fit backing plates on each of them, just didn't have the material at hand, nore the money to buy it. Plus my main occupation is to sail her, not to fix her :) But it now is a very small job, bolts being very accessible.
For the accessibility, the interior been modified by previous owner, and I've left it easely accessible for inspection (trading of a fair bit of storage, but nothing that limits me so far in my cruising).