Bedding a steel fitting on the hull, a drogue question

Tintin

Visit site
Why not just use the toe-rail, assuming it is suitably "man enough" - ? The stress should be in the right direction and they should be well bolted through and sealed.

oldbilbo

Visit site
I like the sound of the set-up proposed, but worry slightly about how practical it would be to rig the drogue with plates in that position when - presumably you're running downwind in a big sea, maybe rolling the gunwales under. Wouldn't a location a bit further inboard be better?

I take it from the OP's info, and from previous reading on this, that the points of attachment of the 'straps', chainplates', or strong points should optimally be on the HULL, both sides, and close to the transom. That would put the loads in shear rather than be transmitted in tension into the transom moulding. I expect to 'beef up' the hull layup locally, inside, sufficient to take the potential loads and then some ( there's guidance in several places on the web ).

As for attaching the legs of the bridle when needed, I'd hope to do that before they were needed, securing the bridle legs to the pushpit by line, and the rest of the kit 'n caboodle retained securely in a launching bag, itself secured to/inside the pushpit. In the conditions when I'd want to launch a Jordan bridle, I'd expect to get a bit wet. That goes with the territory, IMHO....

But, Twister, your boat is of a similar size to mine. I'd happily exchange, and listen to, other views. :)

prv

Visit site
Why not just use the toe-rail, assuming it is suitably "man enough" - ? The stress should be in the right direction and they should be well bolted through and sealed.

Agree you're unlikely to rip the whole toe-rail off by pulling from one end, but I suspect you could well loosen the aftermost couple of feet of it if you tried hard enough. Also have to wonder whether the typical aluminium toe-rail is itself strong enough at the attachment point - could the shackle to the bridle just break out of the loop it's put through? Depends on the size of boat, I guess.

Pete

D

Deleted member 36384

I like the sound of the set-up proposed, but worry slightly about how practical it would be to rig the drogue with plates in that position when - presumably you're running downwind in a big sea, maybe rolling the gunwales under. Wouldn't a location a bit further inboard be better?

An alternative solution I came across on another forum was a steel bar placed across the stern; I assume it had an eyelet arrangement on the ends. The pole was braced and lashed in place. I can remember if it was fairleads, push pit or cleats. The purpose of the pole was to attach the JSD at the quarters but wider than the stern to clear a wind vane.

Fascadale I initially thought that bonding the plates onto the hull with Epoxy would produce a stronger bond than just the bolts as well as a water tight bond. However the disadvantage is that one can't remove the plate easily if repair is required. West System web pages have details of epoxy bonding hardware.

Fascadale

Visit site

I've thought about this one: you are right, trying to shackle on the bridles as the weather deteriorates would be very foolhardy and probably very dangerous.

Yesterdays thoughts on the subject were to keep the bridles permanently rigged, with one "leg" being led round the stern, outside everything, and back into the boat, with the drogue end of the bridles made fast near the cockpit. The leg being led round the stern would be held in place by bits of wool, easily broken on deployment.

This morning I'm not quite so sure: I'm not certain of how to get the bridle leg clear round the vane, making sure it does not come into (potentially chaffing) contact with anything.

Perhaps the way to do it is to have both bridles shackled on and a lighter leader line led round the vane.

The boat is in the yard at the moment with the vane off. Once I have the straps on I'll remount the vane and experiment.

What I really want to avoid is having to leave the (relative safety of the cockpit)

DSCF0555-1.jpg

No typical aluminium toerail on Fascadale's boat. Bolting chainplates to the topsides seems like the strongest practicable arrangement.

Correct, as ever

Conachair

Visit site
I have assembled a Jordan Series Drogue. There are more details here.

Sorry for a bit of thread drift, I'm forever doing this..

But where did you get the cones from? I'm close to Whitechapel & was thinking of having a walk round some sweatshops up there to ask for a price to rustle up a hundred or so.

PS. Attachment points easy for me, just weld some more bits of metal to the boat ;) Might go for steel wire rope for the bridle, maybe with a bit of chain each end to allow for adjustment of the leg length thus hopefully some direction control.

Ta

Last edited:

Fascadale

Visit site
We made up 1.5 drogues last winter. One, complete, is now in the Canaries: the other, not quite complete is in my garage.

I seem to remember the cones coming from here . We bought 200 cones and I think paid less than that price.

We bought the rope and thimbles from Barry at Boatropes. Again good prices because we bought rope for two.

We did the spicing ourselves; slow at first, then about 20 minutes per spice.

Conachair

Visit site
We made up 1.5 drogues last winter. One, complete, is now in the Canaries: the other, not quite complete is in my garage.

I seem to remember the cones coming from here . We bought 200 cones and I think paid less than that price.

We bought the rope and thimbles from Barry at Boatropes. Again good prices because we bought rope for two.

We did the spicing ourselves; slow at first, then about 20 minutes per spice.

Thanks for that.

Took a while then.. :)

Fascadale

Visit site
Job done

Bedded in Sikaflex 291
Hull 11mm thick

There's a nylon spacer behind the backing plate, a cut up thin(ish) nylon chopping board

Thanks to all for advice

DSCF1139.jpg

DSCF1138.jpg

DSCF1148.jpg