Beale park moorings

Old Crusty

Visit site
Make sure your anchor light works, have a black ball, and a Broads type mudweight - stop in your favoured spot against the bank & drop the hook, use the mud weight to keep your stern in close, quote TC Act 1937, and see the reaction.

I have a mud weight going for free but you have to take the expensive ex wife as well ;)

Parabordi

Visit site
Make sure your anchor light works, have a black ball, and a Broads type mudweight - stop in your favoured spot against the bank & drop the hook, use the mud weight to keep your stern in close, quote TC Act 1937, and see the reaction.
That's what i plan to do!

DWT

Visit site
We rang Beale yesterday and left a message and to our surprise, and to their credit, they rang back this morning.
The very nice lady who rang was very apologetic but they have had serious problems there this summer with so many people around with rubbish, including excrement, discarded towels, rubbish bags and fires. They don’t have a full complement of staff after lockdown and have been really struggling to deal with it.
They have also had problems with the access road down to the river being blocked for residents due to double parking and have had to call the police out on one occasion.
In the end they concluded, and reluctantly, that they had little option but to close the moorings at least for the rest of this season.
They intend to review the position next year and she talked about setting up a working party of interested users to see how best to manage the site.
They are going to speak to the lockkeepers at goring and Whitchurch to let them know what was happening, although there is already a handwritten sign at Whitchurch.

oldgit

Visit site
A real shame.
Looked a really beautiful nice part of the world,at least for those of us who prefer to moor in a peaceful isolated quiet stretch of river with the aid of couple of mooring pins.
There are some who refuse to stop unless there is at the very least a Waitrose within 100 metres and 3 takeaways prepared to deliver to the boat. :):):)

jct1981

Visit site
We moored just above Cleve lock on Saturday - plenty of space, albeit a bit shallow in places - moored in the 3rd spot attempted & was grateful I could lift an outdrive ;)

I would imagine that it'll fill up quickly now on weekends, as it's not that far from Beale Park, albeit with Goring & Cleve lock in between. 20 min walk back down to Goring / Streatley. No Waitrose, but lovely little shops & good pubs.

Never seen so many fishermen lining the banks at Beale Park as we headed back down on Sunday.Cleve Moorings.jpeg

oldgit

Visit site
We moored just above Cleve lock on Saturday - plenty of space, albeit a bit shallow in places - moored in the 3rd spot attempted & was grateful I could lift an outdrive ;)
Never seen so many fishermen lining the banks at Beale Park as we headed back down on Sunday.View attachment 97561

Also be grateful the leg lifting electrickery and hydraulic bits are talking to each other at the moment and with all those fishermen around , no disgarded fishing line anywhere nearbye . :) :):)

Barge

Visit site
Just bumping this with some local info.

Heading upstream from Whitchurch lock at the start of the Beale park land is a banner saying "No mooring until the next sign". The next sign doesn't appear until the main entrance from the river, so mooring up by the willow trees is now out by the looks. If they mean by next sign, the next banner, then they don't appear again until upstream of the islands and up to where the trusts land ends.

The banners indicate mooring is allowed for 24hrs for a payment of £10 at the kiosk/cafe. The fee is refunded should you buy a park entry ticket, there were other options but I didn't catch them exactly.

The kiosk/cafe is in the main car park and is for a company involved in water based activities, paddleboards/swimming by the looks. Hi5 Water Sports & Activities in Reading, Berkshire (hi5ski.co.uk)

They are now dealing with the moorings according to FAQs | Beale Wildlife Park and Gardens (bealepark.org.uk)

There appears to be some sort of camping area too being developed. Campsite | Otters Camping @ Beale Park | England (otters-camping.co.uk)

Apologies if this isn't news or covered elsewhere.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Ref the post two above yours by jct1981 I wonder if the reason for no mooring downstream is because of the anglers.

Apart from once up near the islands I have only ever moored further down towards the road where there are a few excellent spots. It's really nice on that bit.

If it is the anglers then I guess they will be the unofficial police for anyone who does choose to moor there.

Shame really as it's a lovely place nice wide straight bit of River quiet etc.

Portland Billy

Visit site
I wonder how much of the litter problem is down to visitors other than boaters.
But must admit last time there (10 days ago ) there were several boats using bankside barbecues which was a bit antisocial.
Lovely spot, and I hope it's not lost.

Nautique 1959

Visit site
Spoke to the park they will be putting up more signs soon to explain what s hapening, basically no morring before the swing bridge coming from pangbourne . Then they will be numbered.

Visit site
I live 10 minutes away from Child Beale and some of the problem last year was a few day boats turning up lighting fires and being abusive when the park manager spoke to them ,the fishing club had an axe to grind as some boats had been overstaying by weeks rather than days
Most of the litter got left by picnic walkers ,paddle boarders and peeps launching Kayaks from what I saw and I walk the dogs there regularly
The road down to the old Church was rammed with cars who had brought the hoards to the river
At least there are some moorings available now and when the Park realise what an income stream it can be I would not be sunrises if they open the whole section up again

harvey38

Visit site
Such a shame, fond memories of mooring up there but now drawing just over a metre maybe no more anyway ?