BBC Report on Abandoned Boats

fisherman

Visit site
Isn't it actually the large number of blades of wind turbines which are the real problem - not a few unsightly boats lying about backwaters?
Well they aren't going to be abandoned on a foreshore, and won't be in convoluted structures with ply, soaked in oil and fuel, hopefully. How often are they scrapped, do we think?

mrming

instagram.com
Could marina / mooring owners hold a deposit (in ESCROW or similar) equal to the current cost of disposing of the boat? This would have to be adjusted each year in line with inflation. When the boat owner removes their boat, they get it back, plus any interest that has accrued. If they abandon the boat, the Marina or mooring holder can access the amount they need to get rid of the boat.

penberth3

Visit site
Well they aren't going to be abandoned on a foreshore, and won't be in convoluted structures with ply, soaked in oil and fuel, hopefully. How often are they scrapped, do we think?

Don't know how often, but there's a lot of them already. Cat D8 for scale:

1622112184633.png

Capt Popeye

Visit site
My understanding was that TBT was one of those "persistent" chemicals that likes to hang around. While TBT was banned from use in pleasure craft, it was not banned from use in ships until 2008.

When I bought an Ex Supply Vessel in the 60s there was a supply of Antifouling in tins in the lockers ; Marked up as for Commercial Shipping only so guess whilst we were worrying about using our small stash of left overs Yacht Antifouling others in the Shipping world were still buying BIG tins of REAL COMMERCIAL Antifoulings

As stated above guess some Naughty Anti Foulings were filtering into the Boat, Yachting and Commercial for some time ?

Pye_End

Visit site

Stemar

Visit site
Yes, but it does put the problem of old boats into perspective, which some vocal "greenies" may not be too keen on happening. As I said above, I'd never argue that old GRP boats aren't a problem, just that we have more serious and urgent ones to deal with. Which is in no way suggesting the issue should be ignored.

dgadee

Visit site
I'm not sure how else to put it. The thread is about the disposal of boats. It is illogical to suggest that there isn't an issue with boat fly tipping because there is a problem with the disposal of wind vanes.

It is a bit like me asking for advice on what varnish to use, and you telling me that the real issue is actually the state of my sails.

Don't follow your analogy.

However both boat and blades need a similar solution. Blades are a bigger problem so may lead to an earlier resolution. Maybe not. Maybe grp boats will just be buried, too. I have no idea, not being a futurologist.

dgadee

Visit site
Boats account for approx 11% of total GRP & FRP industry so a relatively low percentage.
Recycling dead boats article link here,Recycling Dead Boats - Professional BoatBuilder Magazine, Written from the American viewpoint but equally pertinent to us too.

Interesting article but he's complaining that no-one buys new when they can buy used. Surely that's recycling? The problem seems to be with smallish boats from the 1960s and 1970s - made 50 to 60 years ago where the hull is ok but the remainder not. Will 1980s boats be used for longer given that they are generally larger? How long do grp car/bus/turbine blades last? I can see there is a problem, but I don't see that posing it as a simple problem is helpful.

fisherman

Visit site
Chap asked me about selling a Dell Quay fisherboat. needing a lot of work. My mate deals in boats and they have to be shiny, plush and like new, so I told the chap to give up, can't even give it away. Absolutely sound hull good quality, but for me the first thing I see is a lot of grinding work, and a lot of dust which I can't tolerate for a moment.
I would have no problem with fitting out a bare hull, done it many times.