Bayliner vs Sealine

Downsize

Visit site
I think it's a great boat for the money :D but probably not the right boat for the OP whose budget is much greater. That is unless he wants a great 25 footer with single diesel, bow thruster and lots of other stuff plus keep £30k in his bank account :p. Haven't really marketed it properly yet. Will be going all out in a month or two, so hope to be down to just one boat by the end of the season.
I just think it may be a touch small...but a nice boat

tinkicker0

Visit site
Insurance increases with value, so insurance for a Bayliner at less than half the price of the equivalent sized Sealine is likely to cost a lot less too. We have the same boat as Sulley, a Bayliner 285, and our insurance is about £210 per year.

Twins is more manueverable than single. However, single with bowthruster (add £3k-ish) is even easier and saves the extra servicing and/or potential for additional engine repairs - especially if you're looking at older Sealines.

Servicing is per engine so twins is about double. Twins double the chance of repairs but half the chance of getting stuck at sea. The latter is maybe less of a factor if you are planning to be on the river compared to the sea.

Engines are the most expensive parts of the boat - so a single allows more capital for a bigger boat.

Older engines may have more problems with parts availability in future.

Sealine quality is better than Bayliner. I believe I would be objective in saying it's like Volkswagen versus Ford, although Sealine owners are in the majority here and may feel differently.

For me, the extra quality on the Sealine does not make a big difference to my enjoyment of the boat, so I don't see the value in paying double the price for the same enjoyment but more ongoing costs / risks.

For the price of a 1997 Sealine you can get a 2007 Bayliner. Whether you want a 1997 Volkswagen above a 2007 Ford is a personal decision. My view is that Bayliner gives the best value for money, by far. That said, I drive an expensive car (which I bought 5 years old but with 5000 miles only, at 1/4 the cost of new)

I have been on / used several Bayliners but have never seen or heard about issues with door locks. Given the shared parent, I would not be surprised if many parts are shared between the brands e.g. door locks all made by Perko...

Unless you take her out of the water and remove all water including from the engine, you will have to heat her throughout winter. A tubular heater in the engine bay on a thermostatic switch should do the trick at about £50 total.

A dehumidifier is a must and will ensure that everything stays fresh ... a must, in my view.

It's a shame that there are so many people calling Bayliner names, just like sailboat owners saing Bavaria keels fall off, etc. Same people who argue that an identical but imported boat is half the price of an officially imported one. The funny bit is when someone complains that his expensive boat is too small / does not have XYZ features, when for half the money he can get all those and a much newer boat... albeit a cheaper brand. Again, just like cars...

In the end, it's about what is important to you and how much you want in exchange for how much you want to afford.

Good luck!

About the most balanced view on the thread IMO.

Agreed - Bayliner = Ford and Sealine = VW.

The view is the same and the beer tastes the same on both.

Bayliner = Perko fittings, dunno about Sealine fittings. I have a Bay and I tend to change the odd fitting every year, so it is a bit of a moot point in my case. However Bay interiors are very spartan in comparison. Bit like a 1980s caravan.

Petrol vs Diesel.

Petrols will tolerate long term, low speed / low load running much better than diesels without bore glaze and coked up turbo issues.

Diesels are much more efficient and will give better fuel consumption.

Petrols are lighter and much cheaper.

Diesels are safer as diesel fuel has a much higher flash point and fumes are less likely to ignite.

You get more petrol boat for the same money as the diesel.

Diesel is more widely available.

Petrols are quieter and do not smoke as some diesel are prone to do on the river.

For comparatively spec'd diesel Vs petrol boats, there will be around 20% price difference. For a 50K boat, 10k will buy a lot of petrol, effectively free cruising for years.

Most important if you intend to stay on the river......DO NOT BUY TOO MUCH ENGINE.....it is a waste of money, fuel and maintenance budget.

Downsize

Visit site
Thanks Tinkicker....I think we're getting there. No where do I go related to drives and draft for a middle ground related to steering, stability and manoeuvrability on the river ?

tinkicker0

Visit site
Thanks Tinkicker....I think we're getting there. No where do I go related to drives and draft for a middle ground related to steering, stability and manoeuvrability on the river ?

Sterngear.

Shafts Vs Outdrives.

Shafts - less maintenance.

Drives - more maintenance , more efficient.

Shafts require separate rudders and transmissions so more to damage if you hit something like a rock.

Drives, some will kick up and the props will spin on the rubber bushes, negating overstressing the engine crank and gear train if you hit a rock. No rudders. However gear cases are prone to expensive damage.

Drives can pick up plastic carrier bags which block the water intake and can cause engine overheating.

A complete replacement drive leg can be had for about £1500 if you go for a SEI Mercruiser copy, everything is interchangeable for the mercruiser on these.

SE116.jpg

If boat is to sat in the water for years on end without being removed, Shafts are better suited, also I would go for shafts if my boat was in saltwater for years. Freshwater is far kinder to the ally drive units.

Can't comment on shaft handling directly, but single shaft is reputedly easier to handle than a single sterndrive.

A single sterndrive, planing hull is the most difficult boat to handle at low docking speeds. Mine feels like trying to push a shopping trolley across a slope using one finger on the handle when docking.

Sterndrives - Mercruiser bits are cheaper than VP bits.

Shafts require a mid - ish engine layout, while drives require a rear engine layout, therefore on a drive boat, more interior room aboard.

Last edited:

EugeneR

Visit site
If you do go petrol it will be wise to get a boat with a current BSS ticket. The rules are, understandably, a tad more finicky with petrol boats than diesel ones for certain engine aspects.

+1

Or, if you do look at a boat without it, make the ability to pass the BSS part of the contract.

tinkicker0 said:
Can't comment on shaft handling directly, but single shaft is reputedly easier to handle than a single sterndrive.

Not sure about that. With shafts you do not get reverse steerage until the boat is actually moving through the water, which severely limits the things you can do.

For my single sterndrive boat, I rely almost solely on two "all purpose" maneuvers to get in/out of either finger or alongside pontoons. Both of those depend on being able to steer in reverse i.e. without the boat moving backwards but swinging sideways.

Elessar

Visit site

disagree with that one - single shaft very tricky in confined spaces.

Twin shaft and twin outdrives - argue till the cows come home but largely just different. Those who say one is better than the other probably just can't drive the other.

But with singles the outdrive definitely wins for me in the handling stakes.

mrcobra

Visit site
Sorry for digging up this old thread, but I am also comparing a sealine to a bayliner...

We initially were looking for a post 2004 Bayliner 265, and have found a nice boat powered by a 5.7l Mercruiser. I tihnk the boat have some good solutions, but of course you find that Bayliner use some cheaper solutions that its European rivals.

I live in Sweden and Sealine is not a common boat but here, but there is a nice S23 for sale. Sealine seem to have nice build quality and this boat seems to be in good condition. However it is powered by a VP 5.0 GXI, which from what I can read, is quite uncommon.

Does anyone know what MPG I can expect with this combination? I expect that it has neough power to push the sealiner above 30knots, and cruising around 22knots?

oldgit

Visit site
Might well be worth posting your query over on the MoBo section of the forum,more likely to get response,especially at this time of year.
The sort of boat you are considering is probably more suited to coastal use although many are pressed into service on rivers with locks etc .The main problem is low speed handling which can be very challenging in confined and congested spaces at low speeds especially with a single outdrive..
In the UK it can be difficult to obtain petrol at many waterside locations ,not sure of the situation where you are. Good Luck.

Last edited:

CX54WEK

Visit site
Might well be worth posting your query over on the MoBo section of the forum,more likely to get response,especially at this time of year.
The sort of boat you are considering is probably more suited to coastal use although many are pressed into service on rivers with locks etc .The main problem is low speed handling which can be very challenging in confined and congested spaces at low speeds especially with a single outdrive..
In the UK it can be difficult to obtain petrol at many waterside locations ,not sure of the situation where you are. Good Luck.

You quickly get used to the handling. We have had our diesel S23 for 8 years now and don't find it to be a problem. You learn to predict what it is going to do in certain conditions.

We have no plans to change the boat just yet and are very happy with it.

darren123

Visit site
Bayliner v Sealine
Lots of people slate Bayliners or (bin liner ) as some put it.
I have sold many Bayliners over the years and even from new many years ago.
Bayliners have got a lot of people boating over the years down to good value for money and the 285 is a super boat with up to 6 berth accommodation over most 4 berth competition .
The most common thing to go wrong is the horn mostly down to lack of use.
Many people who are now running a Fairline / Princess / ect ect and others started out with a Bayliner.
They handle very well at low speeds and are easy to moor up even without a thruster.
Good tuition would show this.

The trick is not to over steer the boat when running.
The Sealine S28 is also a super boat with the accommodation for 4 but you have to drop the forward saloon table for a bed.
The sealine has a great finish and will have a better galley with a two burner gas hob and gas oven over the electric galley Bayliner.
It all depends how you use your boat .
Please don't rule out the Bayliner 285 as they are every where on the Thames and Coast .
Very few boats are made on shaft drive due to accommodation layout as shaft drive takes up a lot of cockpit room and most aft cabin cruisers are in the 1980-1990s
The only other option would be to look at a Fairline 29 aft cabin for six berths but inland use only.
Good luck .

mrcobra

Visit site
I found some test data on the byliner I am considering here http://www.boattest.com/oem/354/boats/902/0/on/640x360#Top

I am unsure of the hull design of the two boats, but given that
the Sealine S23 is:

Shorter: 25ft compared to 27ft
Narrower: 8' 2" compared to 8' 6"
Less draft: 2' 11" compared to 3' 3"
Lighter: 2.400kg compared to 2.608 kg

Is it not reasonable to believe that the Sealine S23 get better mileage compared to the bayliner, given same motor?

oldgit

Visit site
They handle very well at low speeds and are easy to moor up even without a thruster.
Good tuition would show this.

Compared to what.....a paper bag perhaps.:?
You are of course completely correct in your assertion that a Bayliner has enabled 1000s of boaters to start their boaty hobby on a small budget ,Sealine are also to be commended for building a small boat for the masses long after all the other UK builders abandoned that section of the market.
It is also correct that it is almost impossible to buy a small boat without an outdrive and if thats all that your money will buy then go for it.
BUT.....:) A featherweight sports cruiser with a single leg and more windage above the waterline than most galleons is not ideal.
Watch any small outdrive boat in decent breeze trying to go in a straight line especially at 8 kph.
Even bigger boats are not immune,the F33 being a classic example.
Outdrives...any comments :)

Last edited:

CLB

Visit site
I found some test data on the byliner I am considering here http://www.boattest.com/oem/354/boats/902/0/on/640x360#Top

I am unsure of the hull design of the two boats, but given that
the Sealine S23 is:

Shorter: 25ft compared to 27ft
Narrower: 8' 2" compared to 8' 6"
Less draft: 2' 11" compared to 3' 3"
Lighter: 2.400kg compared to 2.608 kg

Is it not reasonable to believe that the Sealine S23 get better mileage compared to the bayliner, given same motor?

There will be so little in it that it is not worth considering. Buy the boat that best suits you, price and feature wise. My 2cents worth is that the Bayliner will give you more boat for money but the Sealine will be higher quality and better handling in a variety of sea conditions. I have owned both.

CX54WEK

Visit site
Compared to what.....a paper bag perhaps.:?
You are of course completely correct in your assertion that a Bayliner has enabled 1000s of boaters to start their boaty hobby on a small budget ,Sealine are also to be commended for building a small boat for the masses long after all the other UK builders abandoned that section of the market.
It is also correct that it is almost impossible to buy a small boat without an outdrive and if thats all that your money will buy then go for it.
BUT.....:) A featherweight sports cruiser with a single leg and more windage above the waterline than most galleons is not ideal.
Watch any small outdrive boat in decent breeze trying to go in a straight line especially at 8 kph.
Even bigger boats are not immune,the F33 being a classic example.
Outdrives...any comments :)

As I said earlier you get used to the handling pretty quickly. You have to use the wind to your advantage, there is little point trying to do otherwise.

Outdrives are fine provided they are well maintained.

Chris_d

Visit site
As I said earlier you get used to the handling pretty quickly. You have to use the wind to your advantage, there is little point trying to do otherwise.

Outdrives are fine provided they are well maintained.

You keep taking the bait CX, oldgit goes outdrive owner fishing with dynamite these days :)

oldgit

Visit site
You keep taking the bait CX, oldgit goes outdrive owner fishing with dynamite these days :)

There is a really cheap early Sealine on the market at the moment, it looks as though the Volvo Penta outdrives crapped out at some point, suprise suprise,:) so the seller completely rebuilt the transom and installed a pair of Mercruiser legs with some nice V8 petrols hanging on the other end.
That should make it fly.
It would appear that he has now given up the unequal struggle.............

Last edited: