Bavaria/Oceanis

mica

Visit site
We have a Bavaria 430 Caribic, 1992 built, but which are not made now. Having looked at several Beneteau's when browsing the market, we are certainly glad we went for the Bavaria. We have the highest stability category, which cannot be said for Beneteau's. I am surprised so many of them have got through the DTI Coding for charter because of this. They probably go faster, but that is because they are like sailing a saucer, not much depth below water. As for fuel consumption, our Volvo 59hp uses 3.5 litres per hour.

I would certainly go for the Bavaria.
Best of luck in whichever you choose.

ROSSCO

Visit site
I took delivery of a Bavaria 31 in March this year and am very happy. I compared the Bavaria with the Feeling, Beneteau etc at last years Southampton Boat show and reckoned it has a much better finish particulaly the woodwork. It was also at the time significantly cheaper - even after costing in all the extras - (note almost everything on the Bavaria is extra). I had a couple of minor items on delivery that once I'd got hold of the right man at Opal were quickly put right.
Looks like from this and the other replies - Bavaria wins hands down.

G

Re: I will criticise my new Bav42 in one major respect

Don't feel so bad, Steve. We've just completed a 6-week, 1000nm cruise to the Florida Keys and Bahamas and our two 7.4l Mercruisers consumed 1,780 US gal of petrol. We had a great trip and after all, it's only money (as one couple we saw had named their boat)! We even made friends with a number of yachtspeople and were invited aboard their boats. I was even tempted to change to sail after a short cruise up the River Guadiana on a friend's 36CC, earlier this year, but I'm too old to master all those ropes and things! Incidentally, our friend had a number of problems with his 36CC from new, including leaking rudder post, sail furling, fridge. He finally sued the dealer and won. Nevertheless, it's a nice boat to travel and live on, at least for the couple of days we were aboard chugging up and down river.