Batten Pocket Design Merits

savageseadog

Visit site
1) They are inserted from the leech and held in place by a strap with velcro sewn on which pushes in alongside the batten and holds on velcro sewn into the pocket. I've recently come across two other types.

2) The batten inserts from the leech and engages with elastic sewn into the end of the pocket. The batten when inserted is pressed against the elastic and the outer end is manipulated into a sewn cap on the leech

3) Batten is inserted from the inner end of the pocket towards the leech.

All the batten pockets I've come across are the type 1. They can and do shake out if the velcro tab isn't properly secured and can be hard to undo ib the pull out tab is pushed completely in.
I'm not sure about the others. I do know that the elastic in the type 2 does deteriorate.

Last edited:

Poignard

Visit site
I have type 1, and it has been a very successful system. The sail came from Kemps with a tool to pusht the Velcro tab in and pull it out.

I wouldn't like elastic because it will deteriorate.

flaming

Visit site
It's become a running joke that every time we get a new sail it has yet another new batten system, despite them being only from North for about a decade. I think that we now have at least 4 different systems on the boat in sails that we still use. Mainsails often manage to have multiple systems on one sail. All of which need a different screwdriver to get on and off....

2 new sails arriving for this season, I wonder what system they'll dream up this time....

Probably the best in terms of security and ease of adjustment of the batten tension are part 2 on this guide. Absolute PITA to install / remove though.

https://cfd.northsails.com/sailing/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/08142545/NS_3DiBattenGuide_16_F.pdf

savageseadog

Visit site
It's become a running joke that every time we get a new sail it has yet another new batten system, despite them being only from North for about a decade. I think that we now have at least 4 different systems on the boat in sails that we still use. Mainsails often manage to have multiple systems on one sail. All of which need a different screwdriver to get on and off....

2 new sails arriving for this season, I wonder what system they'll dream up this time....

Probably the best in terms of security and ease of adjustment of the batten tension are part 2 on this guide. Absolute PITA to install / remove though.

https://cfd.northsails.com/sailing/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/08142545/NS_3DiBattenGuide_16_F.pdf
Great link thanks.

Do you ever change battens on any of your sails in a regular way, ie from less to more stiff or the other way round?

flaming

Visit site
Great link thanks.

Do you ever change battens on any of your sails in a regular way, ie from less to more stiff or the other way round?
A little on the main, in that we will set the top batten up with a bit more tension if we expect it to be light all day, less tension if we're going out in the heavy.
It's very easy to overtension battens.

Mostly removing battens is a start/end of the season thing, or if we're packing the sail up to go back to the loft for some TLC.