Bates Starcraft, classic motor cruiser.

miket

Visit site
Bates 33, aft cabin 1964, La Lanzadera.
currently for sale through Maiden Marine, Lake Windermere.
I have spoken with the broker and an asking price of only £5k is required. Apparently the boat is in largely sound condition but does require full cosmetic restoration. The hull is teak as are the decks. Superstructure is mahogany. Twin Perkins 4108 Diesel engines.
it seems that, in the absence of interest in the near future, the boat will be stripped and destroyed. A great shame.
the boat belonged to my father in the 1960/70’s and was very well maintained. Up until 8 years ago she remained in super cosseted condition and lived in a wet boathouse on Lake Windermere. Sadly, for the last 8 years she has been ashore under a tarpaulin.
whilst not really cost effective to have restored professionally, I would have thought a combination of practical owner assisted by professionals, should keep costs to a sensible level and result in a lovely boat with a keen club for any advice.
If I were 30 years younger I would buy her myself.
Hopefully, this might attract the attention of someone with the skills or the resources to restore her.
Thanks for reading.

miket

Visit site
Just had the wonderful news from the Starcraft Owners Club that La Lanzadera has been bought by one of their members and will be restored on the Thames, near where she was built at Chertsey.
The power of an owners club.
Many thanks to all involved.