Barquentine "Kotahitanga"

Isla Bonita

Visit site
Re: Barquentine "Kotahitanga"

Hi John, good to hear from you too! I sailed with you and Norman when we took the divers on the trip north and back to Durban, 3 weeks it took I think. We also took Cheryl's van to Transkei one weekend?. If you pm me your email I am sure I can dig out some photos to scan.
Cheers, Keith

Last edited:

Gunilla

Visit site
Hi Keith, I'm the mother of one of Norm's grandchildren from another of John's brothers, Ron Kearns (sadly, also passed)... Ron sailed with Norm too and also took my son aboard, sailing from London I think, for around a year when he was about 7 in the late '80's... Timoti (my son - now 36), has recently acquired a 41' sloop which is moored here in sydney au... It's a bit of a 'fixer-upper' so I would love to have some photos of the Kotahitanga to inspire and motivate him... Did you ever manage to find some for John? I'd be very grateful if you could also email them to me...

Steve Fair

Visit site
Hi John
I was on the Kotahitanga with you, your Dad and others from Bali to Singapore. Quite a trip with repair hold ups in Surabaja and Jakarta.
I have some photos of the boat and people on it at that time. Let me know if you want to see them.
Best wishes
Stephen

Kotahitanga

Visit site
Hi John
I was on the Kotahitanga with you, your Dad and others from Bali to Singapore. Quite a trip with repair hold ups in Surabaja and Jakarta.
I have some photos of the boat and people on it at that time. Let me know if you want to see them.
Best wishes
Stephen
Hi Steve,
Good to hear from you, I've only just seen your post, it would be great to see some photos of that trip from Bali to Singapore, must of been around 1978.
Where are you living now? I live in Auckland, New Zealand.
look forward to hearing back.
Best regards
John

Blue Velvet

Visit site
Hi John,
Pics of Kotahitanga and you in Townsville, Feb 1977.
Doubt you'll remember me, but I remember you. Among other things, you came swimming at my hotel.
I well remember your Dad, my admiration for the work he put in building the boat, and the times in Townsville, especially the trip we did towards Magnetic Island and a fairly wild party on board.
Derek

Attachments

• Johnny and Di onboard kotahitanga.jpg
    Johnny and Di onboard kotahitanga.jpg
    939.9 KB · Views: 150
  • kotahitanga stern view.jpg
    kotahitanga stern view.jpg
    731.3 KB · Views: 124

Kotahitanga

Visit site
Hi Derek,
Thanks for the photos, really appreciated, I must have been about 13 when those photos were taken. I vaguely remember going to the Travel Lodge along the beach front in Townsville, was that with you? I also remember we went for a sail to Magnetic Island, but had to turn around as some people were seasick and weren't enjoying the sail. Where are you living now?

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Purely coincidentaly I am reading "A History of New Zealand" by Keith Sinclair.

The word 'Kotahitanga' means 'Union' in the Marori language. It was used in the book in the context of a Maori separatist movement. They had asked to be self governing twice but were denied by the British Government and the NZ Government.

A Maori Parliament was set up around North Auckland, the East Coast and Hawkes Bay and was called Kotahitanga. It operated for ten years between 1892 and 1902.

I wonder if there is any connection with the vessels name with Maori history and this rebel breakaway movement?

Blue Velvet

Visit site
Hi again John,
Yes, I was staying in the Travel Lodge. While you were in the pool I had a vigorous "discussion" with the manager of the hotel regarding non-guests using the pool and my inviting you to swim there. I won!
Your Dad building Kotahitanga inspired me to build a yacht myself. Along with my partner and her children we sailed from Melbourne to Bowen, then to New Caledonia, Vanuatu and the Solomon Islands before returning via Bundaberg to Melbourne where we have lived since. Age has caught up with me and we sold her about ten years ago.
Here's another pic of Kotahitanga at Townsville. In this pic she doesn't look as big and impressive as I remember her. She was by far the biggest and roomiest yacht I'd ever been aboard. The aft stateroom really was something else!
Derek

Attachments

• Kotahitanga at Townsville.jpg
    Kotahitanga at Townsville.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 79

Steve Fair

Visit site
Hi John
I’m living in Australia. Here are some photos from the trip Bali to Singapore in 1978.
I have a few more of people on the trip and locals we meet. Let me know if you want me to add them.
Also included is an article I found in a 1981 newspaper.

Attachments

• IMG_5501.jpeg
    IMG_5501.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5499.jpeg
    IMG_5499.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5495.jpeg
    IMG_5495.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16

Kotahitanga

Visit site
Hi Steve, Thanks for the photos, really appreciated. I have only a few photos of our trip through Indonesia and Singapore,
so would really appreciate any photos that you can send through. I live in Auckland now with 3 grown daughters and 3 grand children.