Barbed Hose Fittings

Frayed Knot

Visit site
Am I a terrible person for wondering if there happens to be a special place in hell for manufacturers who put barbs on their hose fittings?
After trying all sorts to remove it intact I’ve just had to cut yet another hose off - which now, of course, is too short to reconnect.
If there is such a place, maybe they could share it with the b*****ds who put mild steel handles on seacocks.

GrahamHR

Visit site
Am I a terrible person for wondering if there happens to be a special place in hell for manufacturers who put barbs on their hose fittings?
After trying all sorts to remove it intact I’ve just had to cut yet another hose off - which now, of course, is too short to reconnect.
If there is such a place, maybe they could share it with the b*****ds who put mild steel handles on seacocks.
Hot air gun; softens the hose and it expands. Keep it warm and it'll shrink back on to the hose barb when it cools, plus the jubilee clip will compress it easier.

Frayed Knot

Visit site
Hot air gun; softens the hose and it expands. Keep it warm and it'll shrink back on to the hose barb when it cools, plus the jubilee clip will compress it easier.
Quite possibly but only if you happen to have one on board when needed + the mains power to run it. I did try liberal applications of boiling water and also heat from a small gas torch.
Surely none of this should be necessary - properly fitted hose clamps are perfectly secure without barbs - many fittings don’t have them. Jobs like this should be “doable” at sea.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Pouring boiling water onto a hose does help to soften it, but the water just runs away. It helps to soak a rag or old teatowel in the boiling water & wrap that round the hose. Then one can trickle on more boiling water to suit. The ends of the rag can be turned up to help retain the water a little with some careful thought. Of course if the barbs are too big then cutting free may be the only option. :(

fredrussell

Visit site
Long experience has taught me to save myself a world of suffering and just cut them off. At least that way you’re using a nice unstretched end when you re-attach.