Bank Dory (26' capable weekender with in-board diesel)

GetOffMyLawn

Visit site
Hello All,
First time on any forum of this nature. Partly due to Covid-19 and partly due to a new build. Not even sure where the folks on this site are from. So I live in New Brunswick, Canada and grew up in a fishing village in Cape Breton. Currently getting a wooden Bank Dory built in Lunenburg, 2 bunks and a stand-up, enclosed wheelhouse. Main mast with boom and block and tackle. In-board diesel in the stern with a V-drive. 25'9' and 20' at the waterline. 7'1" and mid-ship and 4' across the floor at midship. traditional rudder and a full keel. This baby will go anywhere, so long as you're not in a hurry, and I'll take her along the North Atlantic coast quite a bit, although she'll be moored in the Norhthumberland Strait, where day trips will be nice and relaxed. Not too many pics at this point, as they are just finishing the side planking. But I can post some if anyone is interested. Just got on here to see if anyone want to discuss the same things I am interested in, and maybe chat a bit if desired. I know my boats, but my lingo is limited to where I grew up, so all the experts will have to bear with me.

Romeo

Visit site
Hi and welcome to the forum. Lunenburg really is the home of the Dory isn't it? Not many dories in Scotland, but you can be sure that if you post a couple of pics, folk will be interested in seeing them. Congratulations on being able to commission a new wooden boat. A truly worthy thing to spend money on.

Wansworth

Visit site
Always liked the classic dory since reading The Boat That Wouldn’t Float by Farley. Mowart,such a simple design but very seaworthy,please put up photoessays always interesting,must be quite special being built in Lunenberg where so many schooners where built.

GetOffMyLawn

Visit site
Hello Romeo and Wansworth,
Nice to hear from both of you. I couldn't agree more regarding love of dories. Retired now and living my dreams (or going into my second childhood, as the case may be). I've attached 3 images (I'll post more as the project continues). The sketch was the builder's first interpretation of what I told him I was looking for. We've tweaked it a bit, but it gives one the basic idea. Wheelhouse overhang not happening now, but enclosed portion of wheelhouse will be made a bit longer. Mast with boom will be against the back of the wheelhouse. The two photos were taken about 10 days ago. A little more planking, then the ribs, then he'll bolt the hull down onto the keel. Motor goes in after that (Yanmar 3GM30), then cabins and decking. Steering will be the old fashioned kind with the spool at the wheel - large, traditional rudder will be managed via a horizontal slit in the transom, with a mini tiller bar concealed beneath the aft decking. If you're interested, you can check out the builder at www.doryshop.com. Mine is a "Seine Dory." These guys are really good for custom builds, over and above their basic dories. Feel free to PM me on here any time if you want to chat in detail about dories :)

Attachments

• First Sketch.jpg
    First Sketch.jpg
    954 KB · Views: 17
  • Hull 2 compressed.JPG
    Hull 2 compressed.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Hull compressed.JPG
    Hull compressed.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 16

GetOffMyLawn

Visit site
Futher to my last, yes, Lunenburg is still a good place to go for a wooden boat. I think it's recognized as a heritage feature that no one wants to see go away. They run courses there as well. Lunenburg also has all the supporting craftsmen (Oar maker; a Foundry; highly qualified marine electricians, and a number of places whose product caters to the wooden boat).

Bajansailor

Visit site
Please do post some photos - they will be well received on here.

You might also like to start a thread on the Boat Design Forum which is based in North America - I know that you will certainly get an enthusiastic response there.
Boat Design Net

And on the Wooden Boat Forum - just click on the link and ignore the 'you are being re-directed' bit.
You are being redirected...