Baltimore 2019

Gitane

Visit site
Quick progress report

Now in Brighton marina after a 28 hrs passage from Dover. SW wind and spring tide meant I made no progress just before Dungerness and at Hastings. Kerrin just doesn't like close hauled stuff and doesn't make enough speed to fight strong tides.

To Chichester tomorrow. However, more SW to content with.

Spuddy

Visit site
Reached Eastbourne from the Medway but have had to pull out because of health issues. Thought I could do the Jester before taking up GP referral for scan and clinic appointment.
Round the Foreland and down Channel is a bit of a trade route for me but this time it was a struggle most of the time and i was wiped out after a 7 or 8 hour passage so no point in continuing.
I think they can fix me so looking forward to joining all the Jesters in the future

Gitane

Visit site
Well, it was all going too well.

Yesterday, beating my way down the Solent, a jib sheet track pin dislodged out of its fitting and bend to make the track useless.

I fitted an Allen key as a temporary repair to get into Lymington, but this is not an ideal solution. I’ll try to bend the pin back into shape or get an replacement, if this is not possible before the start, I will have to reconsider whether to continue to try to beat my way to Plymouth.

Boat now in Lymington haven, very posh it is too, to sit out the storm this weekend. I am home of the duration to get to work on the pin.

Last edited:

MoodySabre

Visit site
Well, it was all going too well.

Yesterday, beating my way down the Solent, a jib sheet track pin dislodged out of its fitting and bend to make the track useless.

I fitted an Allen key as a temporary repair to get into Lymington, but this is not an ideal solution. I’ll try to bend the pin back into shape or get an replacement, if this is not possible before the start, I will have to reconsider whether to continue to try to beat my way to Plymouth.

Boat now in Lymington haven, very posh it is too, to sit out the storm this weekend. I am home of the duration to get to work on the pin.

That's a bind Ron. Do you need some help in Lymington. I know someone who lives there who know everything about boats and where to get them fixed.

Gitane

Visit site
Thanks Roger.

I have managed find a steel supplier and have ordered a replacement pin and some spares. Hopefully they will delivered at home in Essex next week. My wife is due to meet me in Dartmouth for another family engagement, so she can meet me in Dartmouth with the pins.

I will travel back to Lymington tomorrow to sail to Weymouth on Sunday. Light winds on Sunday and Monday, so Allen key should be ok.

MoodySabre

Visit site
Thanks Roger.

I have managed find a steel supplier and have ordered a replacement pin and some spares. Hopefully they will delivered at home in Essex next week. My wife is due to meet me in Dartmouth for another family engagement, so she can meet me in Dartmouth with the pins.

I will travel back to Lymington tomorrow to sail to Weymouth on Sunday. Light winds on Sunday and Monday, so Allen key should be ok.

Good. You haven't wasted any time with this weather blowing through.

Gitane

Visit site
C8AF4A9C-3CFE-44C1-AF09-8E49073A32BF.jpg

Here is a photo of the Allen key solution to the broken job sheet track. It got us into port, but not a solution I should rely on to continue to beat into the wind.

However, I have probably never used this particular key and will probably never do in the future, so it is great that it was put to useful use this time.

PhillM

Visit site
Good luck to everyone with delivery's and the challenge. I am definitely out, as when the hull was stripped back to bare for inspection, some areas of serious concern were discovered. All being well Paean will be repaired and afloat in time for my summer holiday, but Baltimore will have to wait for another year. What can I say about my "nearly Jester challenger". While I failed on the delivery trip, Paean will emerge from the repair yard stronger and better equipped for future challenges. I have learned a LOT, I am undeterred and I am even more determined then ever to take part in future.

Fair winds everyone, I shall watch all your progress jealously!

Gitane

Visit site
An update.

Now in Weymouth, very nice harbour it is too. Off to Dartmouth tomorrow, where Kerrin will now have to stay for a few days due to other commitments.

I will now not be able to start the Challenge on Sunday. I currently plan to sail to Plymouth on the following Monday, to start the challenge on the Tuesday, weather permitting. Should still get me into Baltimore for the Pirate weekend.

John Willis

Visit site
Hi Gitane,

I am in Salcombe and will move in to Plymouth 12th.

Shame you will miss the start but hope to meet up in Baltimore.

Good luck.

John Willis
Pippin

eebygum

Visit site
I’m working my way down the Menai Straits to Pwhelli.

Moved down to Victoria Dock in Caenarfon today, hope to head over the bar tomorrow evening after completing the victualling and then probably rest up on South Anglesey before heading through Bardsey Sound early Thursday morning... looking to meet-up with Pwhelli sailors in the afternoon.

I need to go up the mast on Friday if anybody fancies holding the safety line ?

Vivendi FB page:
http://bit.ly/2Hq5LFj

Vivendi Garmin inReach tracker:
https://eur-share.inreach.garmin.com/share/Vivendi

Cheers, Andrew (Vivendi SHE 32C)

Gitane

Visit site
Weather not looking great for next week, with Winguru forecasting gale force gusts for Baltimore next Thursday.

It could all change I know, but things continue to look pretty unsettled.

Anyone going to hang around Plymouth for more settled weather?

I am thinking of maybe heading for the Scilly isles and then hanging around there for a clear three day forecast for the crossing to Ireland. I don’t have a drogue, nor is the boat setup for knock downs, so I need to be a bit cautious.

Last edited: