Bad noises following rebuild

pandos

Visit site
As @pandos has learned, it's incumbent on the rebuilder to give the head a good clean when it comes back from work - not least to wash out any abrasives that fell off when the seats are ground.
It's the job of a machine shop to clean out the debris and to clean off abrsives prior to handing over to the customer..

I have never had a head back from a shop that had signs of abrasive paste on it or bits of swarf falling out of it... So clearly machine shops in my area accept that part of their job is to clean up during and after skimming and putting back valves, and not a duty of the rebuilder.

But I would agree it would be a good practice to put the vacuum cleaner into the openings in the head immediately prior to fitting.

pandos

Visit site
First photo shows other part of the head without damage. Second photo shows sleeve that valve goes up through (valve guide?) Damage on rim is hard to see and photograph.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
It's the job of a machine shop to clean out the debris and to clean off abrsives prior to handing over to the customer..

I have never had a head back from a shop that had signs of abrasive paste on it or bits of swarf falling out of it... So clearly machine shops in my area accept that part of their job is to clean up during and after skimming and putting back valves, and not a duty of the rebuilder.

But I would agree it would be a good practice to put the vacuum cleaner into the openings in the head immediately prior to fitting.
I don't remember finding anything significant in any engine parts I've had machined either but I don't really look, just wash them and blast them dry regardless. I wonder which of up has wasted more time? I guess you'll see if they accept responsibility when you ask them to recompense you for you troubles.

pandos

Visit site
Well cleaned up everything this morning and solved problem of valve sticking in sleeve... Lapped in and springs put back in place... Then sprayed in some wd40 and out it came from small split at edge of valve seat... Looks like it is coming out behind the seat. Eitherway it's the last stray....I have no intention of risking my sanity and life sailing a boat with an engine that I am waiting to implode...

Tomorrow I'll see what the attitude of the machine shop is..

Thanks for all of the helpful replies and advice...

pandos

Visit site
Best of luck, obviously a poor job from the machine shop pretty low standards
yep... it looks like the piece of metal maybe a pin that is related to holding in the combustion chambers.. there is a part on the volvo penta parts diagrams but I cannot see where it fits on the actual head...

I have decided to order new pistons, liners etc and a new head and do another rebuild.. with a view to just getting a test sail before October...so I can launch in March 2022..