Bad news from Göcek

Irish Rover

Visit site
This is a translated article so the English is poor in places but the message is clear. Although not perfect the province of Muğla had for some time been doing much better than many others at protecting the coastline and the seascape but it looks like things are slipping badly again. I love Turkey and feel privileged to live here but corruption is rampant and the family silver is being sold off like a car boot sale.
The fate of world famous Göcek islands hidden from public

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Oh dear. I remember that many years ago the Turkish flotilla went ashore to breakfast at the (rather basic) restaurant where we had dined the night before, as is customary. Only to find that the restaurant was being demolished by a gang of workers protected by armed police. They didn't at all like photos being taken so I don't have any. Mere furniture, not being specific to food preparation, was spared being smashed.

We understood that the restaurant was not licensed and thus illegal. No doubt that meant required dues had not been paid...

Frogmogman

Visit site
This is a translated article so the English is poor in places but the message is clear. Although not perfect the province of Muğla had for some time been doing much better than many others at protecting the coastline and the seascape but it looks like things are slipping badly again. I love Turkey and feel privileged to live here but corruption is rampant and the family silver is being sold off like a car boot sale.

How sad. Such a beautiful place.

Next you'll be telling me that my favourite-name restaurant, Kebab Hospital, in Gocek is to close.

johnalison

Visit site
IR will know better than me, but when we last visited Turkey our Turkish guide told us that inheritance laws meant that family land was broken up, with the best bits going to the oldest sons and the uncultivatable rubbish to the girls. What has happened in the last forty years or so is that coastal building land, which was previously regarded as useless, has become valuable, giving Turkey a generation of wealthy woman landowners. I imagine that much island land is poor quality for agriculture and there must be great pressure to cash in on it.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Seems some posters didn't get the memo about keeping politics out of the boating forums. Still, where would we all be without their insightful analysis of the world?

Irish Rover

Visit site
With situations like this, politics are not far from the real world. And they want to get into the EU....
Be 100% certain the people who are playing fast and loose with the building control and planning regulations have no wish to join the EU. Then again there's plenty of environmental vandalism going on in the EU as well not to mention a recently departed neighbour.

TernVI

Visit site
Seems some posters didn't get the memo about keeping politics out of the boating forums. Still, where would we all be without their insightful analysis of the world?
And if you take the politics out of yor post, there's not much left.

Zing

Visit site
Can foreigners get a chance to participate?