Bad 496 B&G masthead wind unit pcb

Beneteau381

Visit site
I have a bad pcb, the 213 type I believe. I have started to get my head around it. Myles Electronics in the USA used to fix them but has put up a notice that he isnt taking on any more work. I think I know how to fix it but would like another bad one for parts and comparison. Any one got owt for sale please? Its the 496 head.

Last edited:

NickRoe

Visit site
Hi. Not sure how quickly you will get a response for B&G 496. I have a damaged spar and have had a post up for a couple of months hoping to find a replacement. However, if it is just the PCB that you need, they are available new. Not cheap, but just google B&G 213 PCB or go to the B&G website. If you decide to replace it, I would buy your old MHU. Good luck Nick

Beneteau381

Visit site
Hi. Not sure how quickly you will get a response for B&G 496. I have a damaged spar and have had a post up for a couple of months hoping to find a replacement. However, if it is just the PCB that you need, they are available new. Not cheap, but just google B&G 213 PCB or go to the B&G website. If you decide to replace it, I would buy your old MHU. Good luck Nick
We spoke I believe? Am on boat in Portugal now, will have a look through my bits for a modified spar that I spoke of.

yachtronics

Visit site
I have a bad pcb, the 213 type I believe. I have started to get my head around it. Myles Electronics in the USA used to fix them but has put up a notice that he isnt taking on any more work. I think I know how to fix it but would like another bad one for parts and comparison. Any one got owt for sale please? Its the 496 head.
Are you still looking for a pcb?

shortjohnsilver

Visit site
Not sure whether anyone maybe able to help.
Here’s hoping:
I have a B&G networked system circa 2001 aboard and last year lost wind direction - but not wind speed at the analogue readout. The vane is still operational, happily pointing into the wind and the cups turning freely and indicating wind speed at the readout as usual. I changed the PCB on the wind speed a couple of years ago.
I imagine that the wind direction sensor pcb has possibly failed and before replacing the whole arm at considerable expense, even if you can get a replacement these days, I thought I’d change out the pcb?
A search on internet fails to find a pcb for the B&G 496 MHU but does show that the B&G 213 pcb is out there and could be purchased. These are quite expensive, so I would rather not buy, if it’s not compatible?
Question is will the 213 pcb work in the older 496 MHU ?

Last edited:

Beneteau381

Visit site
Yes, thanks. They’re excessively expensive unfortunately. Thanks though.
Ive started playing with these, the guy in Florida that used to repair them for 200 bucks has backed away from it. I think he is poorly. Tynley can be expensive but they did say it is the coil that usually goes. Check where the ends are soldered to the board
The b and g instructions for checking the output are good. Very definitive.
heres some more info, will dog out my b and g stuff tomoz http://www.ockam.com/docs/TroubleshootingWind.pdf

Last edited:

Saraband

Visit site
Does this help any of your problems? It is a spare off my 3/4 tonner, now sold. It was my spare and I recall it being fine on wind speed but had a "blind sector" from about 270-360 degrees on wind direction. It is for sale.

Beneteau381

Visit site
Does this help any of your problems? It is a spare off my 3/4 tonner, now sold. It was my spare and I recall it being fine on wind speed but had a "blind sector" from about 270-360 degrees on wind direction. It is for sale.
Just seen this, is it still for sale? OOPs, you said sold

Last edited:

shortjohnsilver

Visit site
Beneteau381 and others.
Taking advantage of the better settled weather I have ventured up the mast and retrieved the MHU. Both wind direction and wind speed now defunct. Wind now goes all over the place, occasionally rotating about 360 degrees but not indicating direction. Speed both True and App show 00.00 with no indication at all.
Dismantled the unit and extracted the PCB
Some rusting over three of the spot soldiers and residue rust on the wires. Cleaned up the wires, which appear intact. Not too much I could do with the board itself really. Leaned excess rust as best as I could. Replaced PCB and rebuilt the MHU and today back up the mast and put it back.
No change wind speed 00.00 both T and A. Wind analogue needle initially appeared to point in the right direction but soon reverted to rotating all over the place.
Ran the test that appears test running okay, 15 knots T&A needle moving in test mode okay. But as soon as reset, off it got all over the place and speed s zero.
Is this new PCB time or should I just abandon all hope stop wasting my money and time and fit a stand alone wind system? Is there something suitable that isn’t ridiculously expensive
Obviously, that won’t network with the autopilot etc.
Any advice will be welcome.

Beneteau381

Visit site
Beneteau381 and others.
Taking advantage of the better settled weather I have ventured up the mast and retrieved the MHU. Both wind direction and wind speed now defunct. Wind now goes all over the place, occasionally rotating about 360 degrees but not indicating direction. Speed both True and App show 00.00 with no indication at all.
Some rusting over three of the spot soldiers and residue rust on the wires. Cleaned up the wires, which appear intact. Not too much I could do with the board itself really. Leaned excess rust as best as I could. Replaced PCB and rebuilt the MHU and today back up the mast and put it back.
No change wind speed 00.00 both T and A. Wind analogue needle initially appeared to point in the right direction but soon reverted to rotating all over the place.
Ran the test that appears test running okay, 15 knots T&A needle moving in test mode okay. But as soon as reset, off it got all over the place and speed s zero.
Is this new PCB time or should I just abandon all hope stop wasting my money and time and fit a stand alone wind system? Is there something suitable that isn’t ridiculously expensive
Miles in Florida used to fix for 200 bucks but he is poorly i believe. Tynley let slip its usually the coils that go. Ive got two at hime playing with them, found a broken coil wire, thinner than a hair, unrolled the wire to get to the wire and resoldered, but prob then wasthe tension was too slack, the coil too big, yaddy yaddy yaddy!

Beneteau381

Visit site
Beneteau381 and others.
Myles Marine Electronics, Inc.