B&G 496 masthead wind sensor

NickRoe

Visit site
Hi. The wind cups have stopped rotating on my 496 masthead wind vane. I have a spare, but the bearing was seized onto the body, and I have managed to shear the plastic thread off!

I don’t like going up the mast, so would like to have a replacement ready so just swap over, and I am worried that the one I take off might be seized as well, so I would like to just go up and swap over, and then sort out the other one as a spare.

If anyone has a spare 496 unit, even, non working, then I may be able to make one good one out of them.

if you have a working one, even better!!
thanks Nick

Beneteau381

Visit site
Hi. The wind cups have stopped rotating on my 496 masthead wind vane. I have a spare, but the bearing was seized onto the body, and I have managed to shear the plastic thread off!

I don’t like going up the mast, so would like to have a replacement ready so just swap over, and I am worried that the one I take off might be seized as well, so I would like to just go up and swap over, and then sort out the other one as a spare.

If anyone has a spare 496 unit, even, non working, then I may be able to make one good one out of them.

if you have a working one, even better!!
thanks Nick
Give us a bell, I have the fix for this. 07967313792

Beneteau381

Visit site
Contact Tim from AWR Engineering Services in Wrexham to make what we discussed Google him, he is a yottie. He said about £30 to make.

simondewing

Visit site
Were you able to source this part from Tim?
Just retrieved mine from the masthead and it has a similar broken thread after the burgee haliyard was lost and wrapped up the anomometer cups.

Thanks

Beneteau381

Visit site
Were you able to source this part from Tim?
Just retrieved mine from the masthead and it has a similar broken thread after the burgee haliyard was lost and wrapped up the anomometer cups.

Thanks
As I said above, a simple engineering task, basically turn an alloy "round" to slip on the MHU where the broken thread is and turn it to suit the broken bit. Push together the broken bits through the ally and use grub screws to hold in place. The proximity of the little magnet to the sensor is the important bit. You could Araldite it as well. Put a bit of paint on it to protect the Araldite from UV

simondewing

Visit site
OK thanks, for some reason I thought it was more complex with critiacl alignment.
Should be able to have my kids print something on teh 3D printer.

Beneteau381

Visit site
OK thanks, for some reason I thought it was more complex with critiacl alignment.
Should be able to have my kids print something on teh 3D printer.
PS You should be able to fix it BUT if you dont, I would be more than happy to buy the bits off you ifyou go down the route of replacing with a new system.